follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 07-22-2015, 08:54 AM   #15
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Also... Some people like the appearance better. An intake change usually also includes a sound tube delete and some pretty coloured parts. The delete certainly does clean up the engine bay and the pretty parts can wow people at meets. Like any car not every person's prime purpose is increased performance so some go for form over function or just plain looks cool.
When I was young, slim and good looking I dated a smokin' hot chick who wasn't a very nice person and was terrible in bed. She looked good on my arm when we were out and about but continually disappointed where it counted.

Aftermarket "performance" parts installed just for appearance are kinda like that.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to extrashaky For This Useful Post:
bcj (07-22-2015), Bergen23 (07-22-2015), El Guapo (07-25-2015), JonAvalon (07-22-2015), Tcoat (07-22-2015)
Old 07-22-2015, 01:18 PM   #16
oh96s

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Also... Some people like the appearance better. An intake change usually also includes a sound tube delete and some pretty coloured parts. The delete certainly does clean up the engine bay and the pretty parts can wow people at meets. Like any car not every person's prime purpose is increased performance so some go for form over function or just plain looks cool.
I wanted a little but of both. I like form. I want to slam the car about 2.5 inches and add a lip and all that good stuff but I also want some slight improvement in my performance. I was planning on buying an exhaust for the sound but I heard that will actually improve your go and torque. Is that true?
oh96s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 01:22 PM   #17
STV3
Seņor Member

Thanked 1,322 Times in 645 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Dude.... seriously???
STV3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to STV3 For This Useful Post:
El Guapo (07-25-2015), Tcoat (07-22-2015), WhiteFRS69 (07-22-2015)
Old 07-22-2015, 05:45 PM   #18
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,284 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post
When I was young, slim and good looking I dated a smokin' hot chick who wasn't a very nice person and was terrible in bed. She looked good on my arm when we were out and about but continually disappointed where it counted.

Aftermarket "performance" parts installed just for appearance are kinda like that.
Thus my reference to "pretty Coloured" parts.
Old 07-22-2015, 06:08 PM   #19
CelicaJoe

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh96s View Post
I wanted a little but of both. I like form. I want to slam the car about 2.5 inches and add a lip and all that good stuff but I also want some slight improvement in my performance. I was planning on buying an exhaust for the sound but I heard that will actually improve your go and torque. Is that true?
You sound eager to improve whatever you can without really having a grasp on what you'll be changing. I was in the same situation, knew next to nothing but was willing to spend every penny I had to make myself think I was faster. Fortunately I decided to wait a few weeks and really read into what I was doing first. In those couple weeks I realized just how stupid I was being.
Not saying you're the same, but really do your research before you spend any of your money. Your future self will thank you. Theres an unlimited amount of information on these forums with explanations even for the simplest of questions. All you've gotta do is look in the right place!
CelicaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CelicaJoe For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (07-22-2015)
Old 07-22-2015, 06:16 PM   #20
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,284 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelicaJoe View Post
You sound eager to improve whatever you can without really having a grasp on what you'll be changing. I was in the same situation, knew next to nothing but was willing to spend every penny I had to make myself think I was faster. Fortunately I decided to wait a few weeks and really read into what I was doing first. In those couple weeks I realized just how stupid I was being.
Not saying you're the same, but really do your research before you spend any of your money. Your future self will thank you. Theres an unlimited amount of information on these forums with explanations even for the simplest of questions. All you've gotta do is look in the right place!
I was going to write something about waiting, researching and making decisions based upon educated thought instead of "that looks sic bruuuuh" but Joe did a better (and much gentler) job of it.

Read through the threads on the subjects that interest you. Try to pick the good info from the true crap (there is plenty). Find somebody you trust and listen to them.

You are a long way away in the learning curve from slamming your car just yet.
Old 07-22-2015, 09:31 PM   #21
86_PWR

Drives: 2015 FRS RS 1.0
The stock intake is not a true cai. The snorkel draws from outside the engine bay but is not a direct feed. I race on circuits and can tell u many things but dont have the time so i will keep it simple. If u truely want to improve the intake of any car do 2 things: 1.put in a high flow filter 2. Most important, put in a direct air feed that produces positive manifold pressure. To achieve number 2 buy the zeek or greddy snorkel. They are true race pieces and are fully functional. Once the vehicle is at circuit speed they truely make the intake a cai. Now, if u are not going to blast on twisty roads or go to the circuit then u will not come to realize their potential. Hope that helped.
86_PWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 09:33 PM   #22
86_PWR

Drives: 2015 FRS RS 1.0
And, if any of u disagree with what i said then u truely dont know shit and should go talk to any race engineer.
86_PWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 10:18 PM   #23
Impureclient
Banned

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Thanked 2,903 Times in 1,282 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I don't disagree with 86_PWR because I don't want his wrath upon me but this is what I did.

$60 Intake tube [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MZRJYNA?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailp age_o01_s00"]Amazon.com: Rev Motoring Silicone Intake Inlet Hose Scion Fr-s Subaru BRZ Extra Hose Delete: Automotive[/ame]

$47 K&N filter [ame="http://www.amazon.com/33-2300-High-Performance-Replacement-Filter/dp/B000CO80OW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1437617679&sr=8-1&keywords=fr-s+air+filter"]Amazon.com: K&N 33-2300 High Performance Replacement Air Filter: Automotive[/ame]

$60 + $47 = $107 with free shipping
Impureclient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 10:49 PM   #24
themajesticone

Drives: '13 UM86
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Another noob post. What's the difference? As in pros VS cons. From my understanding, the CAI is routed towards the outside of the car to inject cold air instead of hot air from the engine? I was looking at the Greddy air intake but should I invest in a CAI? Will there be much difference? I also plan on lowering the car about 2.5 inches so will that be a problem with the CAI? Water or puddle getting into it. Etc. I do live in California however.. so maybe I shouldn't worry about water getting into my intake if I decide to go with the CAI lol
I think enough people on here have said it already so I am clearly repeating and repeating but it is definitely not worth it to get a full aftermarket cold-air intake relative to other upgrades you can use your $200-300 for.

An Aftermarket air filter (~$40) > aftermarket cold-air intake ($250-350) for our cars, for the most part. It has been proven that the gains are so minimal that its not worth the extra $200-300. Perhaps it is a crazy thought but for our cars at least, a CAI would be an 'icing on the cake' after everything else is done like full catless exhaust, e85 tune or flex fuel kit/tune, etc.

For an extra $200-300 you can get lowering springs, put them towards a new set of wheels or new set of tires, maybe get a catless header, etc. There is much more you can use that $200-300 for and it will be way more functional and worth it in terms of adding power or making your car more quick. Of course, do not forget that in order to add safe power you will of course need a tune. If you do not have a tune and start adding all these exhaust mods, for example, you could be getting into the danger zone in high RPM's/WOT. Invest in a tune alongside any power item upgrades. If you change something major like stock header for a catless header, go and re-tune it. Good luck!

JRSC C30 91 oct | JDL UEL Header | Tomei Overpipe | Milltek Front Pipe | Milltek Catback | SPL LCA v2 | FA 500 v5 Coilovers 6k/7k | SPC Front Camber Bolts | Enkei RPF1 17x9 +35 | 245/40 Michelin Pilot Super Sport

Last edited by themajesticone; 07-22-2015 at 11:12 PM.
themajesticone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 11:16 PM   #25
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86_PWR View Post
The stock intake is not a true cai. The snorkel draws from outside the engine bay but is not a direct feed. I race on circuits and can tell u many things but dont have the time so i will keep it simple. If u truely want to improve the intake of any car do 2 things: 1.put in a high flow filter 2. Most important, put in a direct air feed that produces positive manifold pressure. To achieve number 2 buy the zeek or greddy snorkel. They are true race pieces and are fully functional. Once the vehicle is at circuit speed they truely make the intake a cai. Now, if u are not going to blast on twisty roads or go to the circuit then u will not come to realize their potential. Hope that helped.
this must be why olympic sprinters breathe through a straw when they race. it gathers the air further away from their body and allows them to breathe easier.
Old 07-24-2015, 10:13 PM   #26
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Quote:
I wanted a little but of both. I like form. I want to slam the car about 2.5 inches and add a lip and all that good stuff but I also want some slight improvement in my performance. I was planning on buying an exhaust for the
sound but I heard that will actually improve your go and torque. Is that true?

Suggest you read the Basic Bolt on Mods link below before you waste a wad of cash if you actually want performance and not looks or sound.

Dont slam your car 2.5" and put a lip on it as it will be a road grader (hitting every driveway and speed bump) and handle like crap it may look good but thats it. Most people cannot out drive the stock setup especially with a decient set of tyres.
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 06:36 PM   #27
STV3
Seņor Member

Thanked 1,322 Times in 645 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86_PWR View Post
Wait.... Are you really saying that a ram air system can produce positive manifold pressure aka boost???
STV3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 06:58 PM   #28
Andrew025

Drives: Neptune GR86
Thanked 3,505 Times in 1,806 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by STV3 View Post
Wait.... Are you really saying that a ram air system can produce positive manifold pressure aka boost???
Ummm yeah... Is this a serious question?

You just have to get to 88mph and also have 1.21 jiggawatts.