follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 02-15-2013, 09:57 AM   #29
Wes

Drives: JRSC'd Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadstyle View Post
Who else would want BRZ lights??? Duh!!! Only fits a BRZ or FR-S and they come factory on the BRZ. I'd bet money that it was a FR-S owner. Just stating the facts....
If it was they would have probably succeeded. I certainly hope not though because that would just be a slap in the face to their own car community. It could be other people, I shit you not I saw a honda del sol with a supra front bumper and headlights, not saying its from the honda crowd but people got some weird ass ideas.

To op sorry this happened to you hope this guy gets caught.
Wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:31 AM   #30
Mpowered

Drives: BR-Z
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
It could have been a guy looking to sell headlights to a FRS owner...

FRS guys should do BRZ guys a favor and not by gently used OEM BRZ lights on craigslist for this reason.
Mpowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:56 AM   #31
jeebus

Drives: 2015 Mustang GT (on order)
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Damn that sucks! I recently had a headlight replaced from a minor accident, they are just under $800/each, so I guess I can see why people want to steal them. A message to any scion owners that want to steal BRZ lights: Just buy $30 HID kits from DDMTuning and be done with it. It's not that far off from a factory kit. And you don't have to risk going to jail.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:03 PM   #32
Marcoscrdo

Drives: 13' DGM Built FBM BRZ
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Anyone could of done it for money. "You can ask any 86 owner any real 86 owner, It doesnt matter if you own a FRS or a BRZ, headlights are headlights."
Marcoscrdo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Marcoscrdo For This Useful Post:
M-17 (02-15-2013), Rayme (02-15-2013)
Old 02-15-2013, 12:10 PM   #33
Spaceywilly
ZC6A2B82KC7J

Drives: 2002 WRX
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
At least they were not successful. I know there was a huge problem with people stealing the HID bulbs from Maximas because you could do it from underneath the car without even opening the hood. Hopefully word will get out that you can't steal the bulbs from these cars and it won't be a problem.

Straights are for fast cars. Turns are for fast drivers.
Spaceywilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:16 PM   #34
naikaidriver

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S AT Asphalt
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadstyle View Post
Who else would want BRZ lights??? Duh!!! Only fits a BRZ or FR-S and they come factory on the BRZ. I'd bet money that it was a FR-S owner. Just stating the facts....
You may want to rethink what is a fact and what is a presumption. The only FACT you stated is that the BRZ headlights fit an FRS. Just to keep you from being confused as to my point, here is another FACT.

BRZ headlights can fetch $1500 on ebay.

Now that alone is worth more than the vast majority of stereo head units, or other removable bits from a BRZ and the value and market of these lights is plenty of incentive for thieves.

Now assuming that the perp actually OWNED an FRS is a stretch and if there was any way in hell to find the person who did this, I would take you up on that bet.

Scott
Old 02-15-2013, 12:20 PM   #35
cwik

Drives: 1st NA BRZ, 2007 GSX-R 600
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbradley View Post
However these aren't pros or they would have gotten the job done.
They aren't super amateur either... Pretty methodical as they targeted my car with nothing inside to steal in a secure garage, didn't bother checking the trunk (which was basically empty), went for the headlights, and didn't leave prints anywhere on the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by himbo View Post
I'll bust out the sword if anyone catches the fucker...
Hehe, thanks for the support. I was angrier than I've been in a long time, and as much ill will as I harbour toward whoever did this, I just hope they get their shit together and don't have to resort to stuff like this to get by.

And to those flaming the FR-S owners for doing this, that is NOT what I was implying when I mentioned the headlight swap! I was trying to say there may be demand for it, and some douchers are just trying to supply. I'm with another poster; if you legally own an FR-S, I doubt you'd actually go and break up someone else's 86. We're all people who love these cars and would cringe at the thought of damaging someone else's pride and joy.
cwik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:23 PM   #36
wallace03

Drives: WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Dumb question: Can these lights actually be used to grow marijuana? isnt pot legal in that region now?
Old 02-15-2013, 12:46 PM   #37
Imrac

Drives: 13 SWP BRZ Prem
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20valvewynn83 View Post
This is why I have a viper alarm that has a pager. Sorry about your car that really sucks. First thing I tell people when they buy this car is to install an alarm system that will notify you of someone breaks into your car.
It wouldn't have helped him in this case, as he was in a parking garage. 2 way alarms don't work to well inside steel and concrete boxes.
Imrac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:12 PM   #38
Freeman

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Scion owners 4 sure!<<< stupidest statement ever.

Sorry about the mishap. I'm sure insurance will fix it all up nice. Being in proximity to cameras is a plus, but a Blackvue wouldn't do much but get stolen. At least I try to park in highly visible spots where theives and vandals can't hide.
While I agree with you. It's really the only option. Some douche figured either they could steal them and install them, or steal them and sell them to a FR-S owner.

Sorry about your car OP. Not all of us are douche bags.
Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:15 PM   #39
ashtray
As Seen On The Internet

Drives: 2003 WRX, 2013 BRZ, 442
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
At least we know people wont be stealing our tail lights...

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. If this happened where you park daily, there's a good chance the thieves would come back again too. (If they're intent on getting your headlights.). I would strongly consider an aftermarket alarm.
ashtray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:40 PM   #40
_hollywood

Drives: 97 itr sold
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Time to get a dash cam...
FR-S #56 of 86 Raven MT ***FOR SALE***
_hollywood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to _hollywood For This Useful Post:
Giccin (02-21-2013)
Old 02-15-2013, 04:29 PM   #41
Word

Drives: '99 Maxima ES
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
I am doubtful someone who legally owns an FR-S would go out and smash car glass to then try and pry out BRZ headlights. It is possible, but you wont win detective of the year for that theory.

Maybe some homie figures he could get a few bucks for those parts, and yes they might have a customer in mind, it could even be an order placed. However these aren't pros or they would have gotten the job done.
Haha true that. Perhaps the perpetrator saw an ad online for HID headlights and saw what they were worth, and attempted to steal yours. Take a look at your local classifieds site and see if anyone is in need/selling HID headlights. This guy may have stolen someone elses in hopes of selling them online.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:44 PM   #42
Shagaliscious
Banned

Drives: Firestorm FR-S (MT)
Thanked 2,478 Times in 1,166 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZerk View Post
I have heard of people stealing headlights for grow lights... Or it was a tuner looking to make a quick swap. Who knows?

Best of luck getting all figure out... Poor car
Probably someone just looking to steal them and sell them on ebay or craigslist.

Imagine how quickly a FR-S owner would buy a set of BRZ headlights for, say around $500. Headlight/taillight theft is more popular then most people know. Mainly because it is quick and easy, and not easily traceable like parts with a VIN# on them, so the risk is less. And since dealers charge absolutely ridiculous prices for head/taillights, selling a stolen set can be done quickly due to the price, but the seller still can get like $500 easy.
Shagaliscious is offline   Reply With Quote