follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Xero Limit
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-26-2019, 08:47 PM   #29
Rookie_34
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Drives: 2014 frs
Location: Fresno
Posts: 28
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
The white frs is my car for reference. So this coming weekend im gonna raise my car up 1/2 inch or so and take it back in for another alignment. They cant do the rears cuz i have nothing back there adjustable. On one note* prior to coilovers installed, i bought the car with tein springs. And it was doing the same thing. I upgraded to coilovers to see if the stock shocks was the problem. Ill update when i get another alignment. Thx for now guys.
Rookie_34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 08:52 PM   #30
Rookie_34
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Drives: 2014 frs
Location: Fresno
Posts: 28
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
When i test drove the car, i didnt push it around swipes cuz the owner was with me. I just drove it on the highway to make sure the car function and drove straight. If i knew it was like this, i wouldnt had bought it
Rookie_34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 04:41 AM   #31
timurrrr
Senior Member
 
timurrrr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ with PP
Location: Between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Posts: 177
Thanks: 158
Thanked 41 Times in 37 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie_34 View Post
So this coming weekend im gonna raise my car up 1/2 inch or so and take it back in for another alignment. [...] On one note* prior to coilovers installed, i bought the car with tein springs. And it was doing the same thing. I upgraded to coilovers to see if the stock shocks was the problem. Ill update when i get another alignment.
OK that's new info that you had the problem before installing the coilovers.
Can you just take it to a performance shop that knows what they are doing?
Could be e.g. an issue with the rear subframe or something.
In that case raising and re-aligning might just be a waste of time and money.
timurrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 08:40 AM   #32
i8ur911
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Drives:
Posts: 99
Thanks: 31
Thanked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by timurrrr View Post
OK that's new info that you had the problem before installing the coilovers.

Can you just take it to a performance shop that knows what they are doing?

Could be e.g. an issue with the rear subframe or something.

In that case raising and re-aligning might just be a waste of time and money.
Agree with above.

Something on the car could be twisted.

When you bought the car, was it a rebuilt title or salvage title?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
i8ur911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 02:12 PM   #33
Rookie_34
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Drives: 2014 frs
Location: Fresno
Posts: 28
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by i8ur911 View Post
Agree with above.

Something on the car could be twisted.

When you bought the car, was it a rebuilt title or salvage title?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Its clean title. I live in a small town. Fresno to be exact, and honestly in my opinion. I dont think anyone in this town that i know of is capable of doing this. There gonna do what im probably gonna have to do. Im just gonna have to start to replace parts. I was thinking maybe purchase oem or some good used swaybars? Although my front alignment is pretty nasty. Ill have to get that fixed this weekend.
Rookie_34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 02:13 PM   #34
Rookie_34
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Drives: 2014 frs
Location: Fresno
Posts: 28
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by timurrrr View Post
OK that's new info that you had the problem before installing the coilovers.
Can you just take it to a performance shop that knows what they are doing?
Could be e.g. an issue with the rear subframe or something.
In that case raising and re-aligning might just be a waste of time and money.
Subframe inserts were on my list. Do you think i should do that soon?
Rookie_34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 04:52 PM   #35
strat61caster
Thread Killer
 
strat61caster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Drives: '13 FRS
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 8,944
Thanks: 12,269
Thanked 8,083 Times in 4,220 Posts
Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie_34 View Post
Its clean title. I live in a small town. Fresno to be exact, and honestly in my opinion. I dont think anyone in this town that i know of is capable of doing this. There gonna do what im probably gonna have to do. Im just gonna have to start to replace parts. I was thinking maybe purchase oem or some good used swaybars? Although my front alignment is pretty nasty. Ill have to get that fixed this weekend.
Fresno has a strong autocross program, there might be a Facebook SCCA Fresno group that can recommend a good alignment shop.

imho raising the car should help, get adjustable lcas as I believe you have too much rear camber, the numbers on the front indicate a lack of care and I wouldn't be surprised if rear toe link adjusters or some other hardware aren't properly torqued. But that's assuming something is wrong, hit a curve at 80 mph and with some unsteady hands or feet of course the rear end steps out. More rear toe in might help with that 0.1 degrees or a little more.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guff View Post
ineedyourdiddly

Last edited by strat61caster; 08-27-2019 at 05:03 PM.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
finch1750 (08-27-2019), Racecomp Engineering (08-27-2019), timurrrr (08-27-2019), Tristor (09-15-2019), wparsons (08-28-2019)
Old 08-27-2019, 05:10 PM   #36
Rookie_34
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Drives: 2014 frs
Location: Fresno
Posts: 28
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
Fresno has a strong autocross program, there might be a Facebook SCCA Fresno group that can recommend a good alignment shop.

imho raising the car should help, get adjustable lcas as I believe you have too much rear camber, the numbers on the front indicate a lack of care and I wouldn't be surprised if rear toe link adjusters or some other hardware aren't properly torqued. But that's assuming something is wrong, hit a curve at 80 mph and with some unsteady hands or feet of course the rear end steps out. More rear toe in might help with that 0.1 degrees or a little more.
Hmm youre right, the scca autox guys might know someone. Ive been out of the car scene for about 4 years now. Use to autox with my s13, ages ago. I know a autox dude that knows dudes. Good idea, thx.
Rookie_34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 06:16 PM   #37
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente
 
finch1750's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Location: Stockton, CA
Posts: 11,055
Thanks: 8,671
Thanked 8,832 Times in 4,972 Posts
Mentioned: 366 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
But that's assuming something is wrong, hit a curve at 80 mph and with some unsteady hands or feet of course the rear end steps out.
Assuming he's talking about on ramp like turns that would be my guess.
__________________

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to finch1750 For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (08-27-2019), wparsons (08-28-2019)
Old 08-28-2019, 09:57 AM   #38
wparsons
Senior Member
 
wparsons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Location: Whitby, ON, Canada
Posts: 6,517
Thanks: 7,222
Thanked 3,178 Times in 2,046 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie_34 View Post
Hmm youre right, the scca autox guys might know someone. Ive been out of the car scene for about 4 years now. Use to autox with my s13, ages ago. I know a autox dude that knows dudes. Good idea, thx.
First step, have an experienced driver take the car for a drive and see what they say.


That said, unless your on ramps are much larger diameter than the ones around here, 80mph is really fast, and it's zero shock that the rear end is getting loose on you. Most of the ones around me would have my car getting really out of shape at 80mph (~130km/h), and it's on much better tires, shocks and has a solid alignment.
__________________
Light travels faster than sound, so people may appear to be bright until you hear them speak...
flickr
wparsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 10:00 AM   #39
wparsons
Senior Member
 
wparsons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Location: Whitby, ON, Canada
Posts: 6,517
Thanks: 7,222
Thanked 3,178 Times in 2,046 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalpb
You also gain driver side camber by sitting in the car...

At that ride height, he'll be moving positive by about 0.1-0.2* by sitting in the car, I played with it at my last alignment to see how much the camber changed with and without my weight in the car.
__________________
Light travels faster than sound, so people may appear to be bright until you hear them speak...
flickr
wparsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 11:47 PM   #40
Rookie_34
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Drives: 2014 frs
Location: Fresno
Posts: 28
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
First step, have an experienced driver take the car for a drive and see what they say.


That said, unless your on ramps are much larger diameter than the ones around here, 80mph is really fast, and it's zero shock that the rear end is getting loose on you. Most of the ones around me would have my car getting really out of shape at 80mph (~130km/h), and it's on much better tires, shocks and has a solid alignment.
Yes it was a long extrance from highway to highway. Usually ppl take that ramp at 65, you have to break. But prior to that ramp. The onramp i took to get on the first highway, the car felt great. No sliding out. But like i said, ill be checking out car this weekend possibly get a front alignment again.
Rookie_34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 01:41 AM   #41
strat61caster
Thread Killer
 
strat61caster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Drives: '13 FRS
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 8,944
Thanks: 12,269
Thanked 8,083 Times in 4,220 Posts
Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
If the rear is the problem changing the front won't fix the rear
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guff View Post
ineedyourdiddly
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
wparsons (08-29-2019)
Old 08-29-2019, 05:05 AM   #42
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente
 
finch1750's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Location: Stockton, CA
Posts: 11,055
Thanks: 8,671
Thanked 8,832 Times in 4,972 Posts
Mentioned: 366 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie_34 View Post
Yes it was a long extrance from highway to highway. Usually ppl take that ramp at 65, you have to break. But prior to that ramp. The onramp i took to get on the first highway, the car felt great. No sliding out. But like i said, ill be checking out car this weekend possibly get a front alignment again.
By any chance have you replaced only 2 tires recently?
__________________

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rear Suspension Clunking, front suspension groaning Butterballz Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing 5 08-14-2018 07:10 PM
OEM suspension and Rear Suspension Lateral Link Rod jprules Want-To-Buy Requests 3 10-04-2017 06:56 PM
Suspension Super Sale ISC Suspension | KW | Tein | Cusco and More OCRaceShop.com Brakes, Suspension, Chassis 14 08-26-2015 10:43 AM
Squeaking / Creaking rear suspension with low ride height? Suspension pros welcome! mothespaceman Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing 10 08-14-2015 05:06 PM
The OFFICIAL Ohlins Coilover Suspension thread - High End Competition Suspension ModBargains.com Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing 63 05-22-2013 08:15 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.