follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-12-2019, 08:05 PM   #29
mixxxx
Senior Member
 
mixxxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Drives: BRZ
Location: California
Posts: 127
Thanks: 160
Thanked 166 Times in 72 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Interesting fact. Pulled out CSG C1 pads during routine brake maintenance.

After 12 competition days with 86Cup, paint is still more or less intact and hasnt boiled over.
Drivers even with oem calipers using this pad have similar results.
Other pads I've tried have had their paint disintegrate even after just a few sessions.

Thickness is also still impressive considering the abuse they took.
I'll take exact measurements later, so for now comparing it with OEM brembo pad with 1 trackday lol (csg pad on left with 15,000 daily miles)

It just shows how much effort and quality they put in developing the pad. It may have a high initial cost but pays off in the long run.

Basenji paw for scale.





Last edited by mixxxx; 04-12-2019 at 08:22 PM.
mixxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 08:10 PM   #30
kuidaore
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Drives: FR-S
Location: OC, CA
Posts: 38
Thanks: 13
Thanked 19 Times in 13 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
CSG C1 are very consistent on the track over long sessions. Drove 3 25 min sessions as well as a 45 min and 95 min session at Buttonwillow on the same day. Experienced no fade. Much like!
kuidaore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 08:29 PM   #31
kinchu007
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Drives: Ghost BRZ
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 6
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Fantastic product!

I've now driven several cars at Buttonwillow and Chuckwalla and Streets of Willow with the CSG Spec C1 pads including a turbo BRZ and a supercharged BRZ and they are the best pads I've ever tried. Very easy to get up to temp, very easy to modulate and trail brake, no weird fade characteristics or fall off, just intuitive pads that do the job and do it well. As a point of reference, I've tried Winmax W5, Winmax W6, Project Mu 999, Project Mu RSF03, Hawk DTC70, Carbotech XP10, and many other pads over the last 4 years.

Because I'm a huge fan of trying new things I decided to order the CSG Spec C2 pads and will be putting them on the car in time for 86Cup Round 5 next month. The C2 pads offer higher torque which should be great for my soon to arrive r-comps.

I'll try to post a full review after the track day but for now here's a teaser pic of the fresh pads on my living room floor.
Attached Images
 
kinchu007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 09:35 PM   #32
Daemonomics
Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Drives: 2017 WRB BRZ Limited PP 6MT
Location: Costa Mesa
Posts: 15
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuidaore View Post
CSG C1 are very consistent on the track over long sessions. Drove 3 25 min sessions as well as a 45 min and 95 min session at Buttonwillow on the same day. Experienced no fade. Much like!
I also ran the C1 at Buttonwillow that weekend. I ended up turning the most laps that day, per the organizer's website, and experienced zero issues with brakes. Consistent feel lap after lap, no fade. It's nice going out and not having to worry about whether or not my brakes were good enough.
Daemonomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 07:49 PM   #33
CounterSpace Garage
 
CounterSpace Garage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Drives: Subaru BRZ / Toyota 86 Experts
Location: Santa Fe Springs, CA
Posts: 962
Thanks: 338
Thanked 855 Times in 365 Posts
Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
More CSG Spec pads just came back in stock for BRZ/FR-S application - OEM caliper & Brembo Performance Package.
__________________
CounterSpace Garage || IG: @counterspacegarage || Facebook
Leader in Subaru BRZ / Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 testing and development through engineering, analysis, and extensive testing on road courses and motorsports activities. For more information on motorsports related inquiries, developmental consultation, services, and proven products, please contact us directly at sales@counterspacegarage.com or through PM.
CounterSpace Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 04:33 PM   #34
Westen86
Member
 
Westen86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Drives: 2013 FRS - Hot Lava
Location: Milwaukee WI
Posts: 58
Thanks: 2
Thanked 20 Times in 14 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
I recently put WinMax W3's on my FRS. What a huge improvement! My goal was a very durable daily pad capable of short trackdays. (Maybe 3 a year) Im assuming the C1's are much more track focused like a W4 or W5? How would mine compare to the C1's?
__________________
WTB: Everything Velox/Verus
Westen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 07:34 PM   #35
CounterSpace Garage
 
CounterSpace Garage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Drives: Subaru BRZ / Toyota 86 Experts
Location: Santa Fe Springs, CA
Posts: 962
Thanks: 338
Thanked 855 Times in 365 Posts
Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westen86 View Post
I recently put WinMax W3's on my FRS. What a huge improvement! My goal was a very durable daily pad capable of short trackdays. (Maybe 3 a year) Im assuming the C1's are much more track focused like a W4 or W5? How would mine compare to the C1's?
We recommend you try out the Winmax W3 so you can get a good idea of what an OEM+ type of brake pad can do. Winmax W5 is a good entry level brake pad if you have never used a track pad before.

C1 is a motorsports level compound formulated from motorsport activities, tested on brake dynos, and validated in racing. It is a strong upgrade option to the standard off the shelf track/race brake pads. For high grip tires, the C2 would be an option for those looking for a little extra friction. Both C1 and C2 compounds are sprint compounds and both work for low grip to slick racing compound tires.
__________________
CounterSpace Garage || IG: @counterspacegarage || Facebook
Leader in Subaru BRZ / Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 testing and development through engineering, analysis, and extensive testing on road courses and motorsports activities. For more information on motorsports related inquiries, developmental consultation, services, and proven products, please contact us directly at sales@counterspacegarage.com or through PM.
CounterSpace Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 09:35 AM   #36
RayRay88
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Drives: 2017 86 860 Special Edition
Location: Toronto
Posts: 301
Thanks: 121
Thanked 274 Times in 133 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
@CounterSpace Garage

Do you guys have a Canadian distributor? I've been looking at getting a set of C1's and CSG spec Teins FLA's.
RayRay88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 11:06 AM   #37
churchx
Senior Member
 
churchx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Drives: 2014 orange GT86
Location: Latvia, Riga
Posts: 3,420
Thanks: 463
Thanked 1,546 Times in 1,069 Posts
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
RayRay88: i'm certain they can ship directly. They shipped to me overseas to Europe after all
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 08:26 PM   #38
CounterSpace Garage
 
CounterSpace Garage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Drives: Subaru BRZ / Toyota 86 Experts
Location: Santa Fe Springs, CA
Posts: 962
Thanks: 338
Thanked 855 Times in 365 Posts
Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayRay88 View Post
@CounterSpace Garage

Do you guys have a Canadian distributor? I've been looking at getting a set of C1's and CSG spec Teins FLA's.
No distributors yet, but we will be looking into doing so in the future. We do ship to Canada without any issues, so just message us whenever you're ready to order!
__________________
CounterSpace Garage || IG: @counterspacegarage || Facebook
Leader in Subaru BRZ / Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 testing and development through engineering, analysis, and extensive testing on road courses and motorsports activities. For more information on motorsports related inquiries, developmental consultation, services, and proven products, please contact us directly at sales@counterspacegarage.com or through PM.
CounterSpace Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CounterSpace Garage For This Useful Post:
RayRay88 (05-31-2019), wparsons (06-24-2019)
Old 06-23-2019, 06:44 AM   #39
Speedy Nick
Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Drives: Stock
Location: Palos Verdes
Posts: 25
Thanks: 8
Thanked 25 Times in 10 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
After one season of racing and testing (4 race weekends, 15-20 30min test session, around 10,000km on track) at Fuji Speedway Japan, I have decided to change my brake setup.

Here is my impression of CSG spec C1 / Brembo slotted disks;
1) Super consistent, with superb release characteristics great match with ABS
2) Super low attack on disks. I was able to run a full year with the set that I started with
3) Superb in terms of keeping the caliper temperature low. My caliper temperature was less than 160℃! at FSW...
4) A season, with my use case, was the appropriate overhaul cycle. My competitors typically overhaul pads / disks mid-season... very light on your wallet
5) With the CSG C11, the brake bias was superb. I was noted as one of the fastest into, and out of the 1st corner at FSW, where I brake from 120m mark at 210km/h, down to 75km/h into the corner
6) Disks / pads wore beautifully. Due to the 1 piece rotor, the rotor had some taper wear, resulting in taper pad wear too. I will note however this was MUCH BETTER than other racing pads! Just be sure to check the pad wear once every couple of months...

All-in-all, I highly recommend this setup for any sprint racing application. The best setup for the clubman racers! I am now moving on to the C2 / C11, blank Brembo rotor setup.
Attached Images
    
Speedy Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Speedy Nick For This Useful Post:
CounterSpace Garage (06-24-2019), Tristor (06-23-2019)
Old 06-23-2019, 06:07 PM   #40
Tristor
Senior Member
 
Tristor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Limited
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 549
Thanks: 2,833
Thanked 468 Times in 255 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
I've now been on track 3 times with a combination of AP Racing Sprint BBK in the front and OEM rears w/ CSG Spec C2 front, C1 rear.

Generally speaking I'm very happy with the results of the CSG Spec pads.

Pros:

The linearity is fantastic all the way through the temperature range, which is very apparent because my brakes don't heat quickly until deep into a session due to the track configuration and my driving style. Braking points are extremely predictable and repeatable from my very first hot lap all the way to my last hot lap. I also daily drive with the same brake setup, and I find them to be exceptionally good at cold bite on the street with again strong linearity at low temps, making it easy to stop exactly where I want to every single time and easy to modulate speed in highway traffic.

Recorded caliper temps are lower with the CSG Spec pads vs the Ferodo pads I was previously running on track as measured via AP Racing caliper temp stickers. Clearly the pad material is providing a better thermal buffer in this case, which will likely result in a longer fluid life span. I haven't needed to bleed my brakes yet after my last flush due to heat fade.

Cons:

These pads produce a significant amount of dust, which tends to burn in. My APEX Racing ARC-8 wheels have only had 1 track event and ~500 miles of daily driving on them and already have nearly impossible to remove brake dust burn-in. Only way I can remove is via using acid mix with 000 steel wool by hand, a wheel woolie or stiff bristled brush with wheel cleaner and Iron-X isn't sufficient. Thankfully my nicer wheels are all double ceramic coated, so removing the brake dust from them is much simpler matter.

Pad wear seems to be extremely high compared to my initial expectations, likely due to lower operating temperature range during most of the pad usage (daily driving). I'm about 6 months in from initial installation and I believe I will likely need to replace my front pads in the next 2 months, not quite finishing out a year. Very surprising to me considering I didn't get on track nearly as often this year as I initially expected, so I would have assumed much longer lifespan considering component cost.


General note, the AP Racing Sprint BBK is very noisy both on and off the track. I wore through my first set of rotors already and due to this I was able to positively determine the noise is almost entirely caused by the J-Hook rotor design. Once the rotors were flat, and after sufficient burn-in, they were nearly silent with the CSG pad compounds. I am assessing switching to a different front BBK that will let me run flat-faced rotors as I don't believe slots or j-hooks are necessary for my application. If/when I do so, I'll re-assess the CSG Spec brake pads and update the thread. At this point, I plan to buy a second set and see how they go I'm open to recommendations from other drivers on which BBK I should consider with the assumption I'm keeping OEM rears.
Tristor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tristor For This Useful Post:
CounterSpace Garage (06-24-2019)
Old 06-24-2019, 02:54 AM   #41
Speedy Nick
Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Drives: Stock
Location: Palos Verdes
Posts: 25
Thanks: 8
Thanked 25 Times in 10 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I would say just go with the CSG or equivalent Brembo 4-pot BBK, with their standard Brembo slotted disks. I race on it, and have absolutely no issue. C1 performed better in terms of stopping power and temperature compared to PFC 08 that I run prior to C1.

You can always use blank Brembo disks that are much cheaper when you need to replace them... I am running C2 with the blank Brembo this year.
Attached Images
  
Speedy Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Speedy Nick For This Useful Post:
CounterSpace Garage (06-24-2019), Tristor (06-24-2019)
Old 06-24-2019, 02:02 PM   #42
CounterSpace Garage
 
CounterSpace Garage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Drives: Subaru BRZ / Toyota 86 Experts
Location: Santa Fe Springs, CA
Posts: 962
Thanks: 338
Thanked 855 Times in 365 Posts
Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristor View Post
I've now been on track 3 times with a combination of AP Racing Sprint BBK in the front and OEM rears w/ CSG Spec C2 front, C1 rear.

Generally speaking I'm very happy with the results of the CSG Spec pads.

Pros:

The linearity is fantastic all the way through the temperature range, which is very apparent because my brakes don't heat quickly until deep into a session due to the track configuration and my driving style. Braking points are extremely predictable and repeatable from my very first hot lap all the way to my last hot lap. I also daily drive with the same brake setup, and I find them to be exceptionally good at cold bite on the street with again strong linearity at low temps, making it easy to stop exactly where I want to every single time and easy to modulate speed in highway traffic.

Recorded caliper temps are lower with the CSG Spec pads vs the Ferodo pads I was previously running on track as measured via AP Racing caliper temp stickers. Clearly the pad material is providing a better thermal buffer in this case, which will likely result in a longer fluid life span. I haven't needed to bleed my brakes yet after my last flush due to heat fade.

Cons:

These pads produce a significant amount of dust, which tends to burn in. My APEX Racing ARC-8 wheels have only had 1 track event and ~500 miles of daily driving on them and already have nearly impossible to remove brake dust burn-in. Only way I can remove is via using acid mix with 000 steel wool by hand, a wheel woolie or stiff bristled brush with wheel cleaner and Iron-X isn't sufficient. Thankfully my nicer wheels are all double ceramic coated, so removing the brake dust from them is much simpler matter.

Pad wear seems to be extremely high compared to my initial expectations, likely due to lower operating temperature range during most of the pad usage (daily driving). I'm about 6 months in from initial installation and I believe I will likely need to replace my front pads in the next 2 months, not quite finishing out a year. Very surprising to me considering I didn't get on track nearly as often this year as I initially expected, so I would have assumed much longer lifespan considering component cost.


General note, the AP Racing Sprint BBK is very noisy both on and off the track. I wore through my first set of rotors already and due to this I was able to positively determine the noise is almost entirely caused by the J-Hook rotor design. Once the rotors were flat, and after sufficient burn-in, they were nearly silent with the CSG pad compounds. I am assessing switching to a different front BBK that will let me run flat-faced rotors as I don't believe slots or j-hooks are necessary for my application. If/when I do so, I'll re-assess the CSG Spec brake pads and update the thread. At this point, I plan to buy a second set and see how they go I'm open to recommendations from other drivers on which BBK I should consider with the assumption I'm keeping OEM rears.
The wear is a function of the bedding process. If the discs (if also new) are properly bedded, the life of the disc increases significantly. We have also seen discs fail as quickly as 2 track days due to improper bedding. We also recommend not using ducting if possible to maintain heat in the system. One big difference is the ability for the pads to maintain consistency even when it's highly stressed. This results in low caliper distortion due to heat and reduced heat into the brake fluid.

Let us know if you need some support on this avenue before going through a different brake system. While trying to maximize the AP kit, we also must know what pace you're driving at as well. At some point there simply isn't enough thermal capacity in the disc to handle and thus, going to a larger system will significantly improve your the wear qualities, brake feel, and brake performance consistency.

Thank you for your honest review. We look forward to many more from others!
__________________
CounterSpace Garage || IG: @counterspacegarage || Facebook
Leader in Subaru BRZ / Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 testing and development through engineering, analysis, and extensive testing on road courses and motorsports activities. For more information on motorsports related inquiries, developmental consultation, services, and proven products, please contact us directly at sales@counterspacegarage.com or through PM.
CounterSpace Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Tags
csg brakes, csg spec

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CSG Brake Thread - Expert Tuner/Motorsport Brake Advice & Experience CounterSpace Garage Brakes, Suspension, Chassis 13 07-23-2019 07:52 PM
D1 Spec Big Brake Kit W/ SS Brake lines Sweet48 Canada Classifieds 1 11-19-2017 04:31 PM
Khumo V710 R Compounds $150 Deep Six Wheels and Tires 0 10-17-2016 07:44 AM
Wtb: 245/45/17 r compounds SterlingBrz Want-To-Buy Requests 2 08-31-2014 12:48 AM
Suggested R compounds and wheels for CS Oldfatguy Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting 36 09-11-2013 11:14 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.