follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 06-27-2018, 09:39 PM   #1
DannyRZ

Drives: 2018 Subaru Brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Exhaust question

So I just brought a 2018 BRZ and I want to do a catback thats going to be fairly loud but not suck after headers. Im waiting on the headers till after warranty so Ive been looking at HKS spec L, Perrin, and invidia r400. I plan on doing a EL header (probably JDL catted cuz NJ but I can always take that pipe out with them) and a resonated mid pipe or catted mid pipe (if I do uncatted EL header) Im leaning the most towards HKS. I like loud but its my daily so I don't want drone to the point where I can't have a conversation. I also know of DEZOD but its a little more than I want to spend. I also think the r400 sits a little low. What do you guys think? Any tips or suggestions for me?
DannyRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 09:43 PM   #2
DeltaEcho

Drives: 17BRZ Limited TS
NJ here. Just keep the stock Headers and stock parts for inspection. After that just swap back.
Also go Perrin and PLM. That is what I run

Sent from my G8142 using Tapatalk
DeltaEcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 10:24 PM   #3
DannyRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaEcho View Post
NJ here. Just keep the stock Headers and stock parts for inspection. After that just swap back.
Also go Perrin and PLM. That is what I run

Sent from my G8142 using Tapatalk
But headers need tune and if something goes wrong the dealer will see that. My problem with perrin is its so quiet pre-headers, and I like some sound
Old 06-28-2018, 12:56 AM   #4
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyRZ View Post
So I just brought a 2018 BRZ and I want to do a catback thats going to be fairly loud but not suck after headers. Im waiting on the headers till after warranty so Ive been looking at HKS spec L, Perrin, and invidia r400. I plan on doing a EL header (probably JDL catted cuz NJ but I can always take that pipe out with them) and a resonated mid pipe or catted mid pipe (if I do uncatted EL header) Im leaning the most towards HKS. I like loud but its my daily so I don't want drone to the point where I can't have a conversation. I also know of DEZOD but its a little more than I want to spend. I also think the r400 sits a little low. What do you guys think? Any tips or suggestions for me?
Hello DannyRZ, congratulations on your purchase and welcome to our forum ...

Since you don't want to put on an aftermarket header until after your warranty expires, but you want some sound now, you may consider a split mod approach.

Replace the muffler with a simple axle back for now, then further modify the exhaust system later on when you install a header. Something like this may work for phase 1.

https://shop.namelessperformance.com...r-s-2013-2016/

Enjoy your new machine …

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 01:13 AM   #5
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Get a cheaper catback and sell when you're ready for headers. In the grand scheme, several years is a while to sit on a catback. Get something you enjoy now and change post-header. With stock headers if you get a catless front pipe and a nice catback, both are easy to swap for inspection and it'll still be mellow.
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 06:53 AM   #6
DannyRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Hello DannyRZ, congratulations on your purchase and welcome to our forum ...

Since you don't want to put on an aftermarket header until after your warranty expires, but you want some sound now, you may consider a split mod approach.

Replace the muffler with a simple axle back for now, then further modify the exhaust system later on when you install a header. Something like this may work for phase 1.

https://shop.namelessperformance.com...r-s-2013-2016/

Enjoy your new machine …

humfrz
Thank you! I love it. I was thinking about doing that I just hate buying stuff twice haha. Thats why I thought the HKS was a good choice cuz it seems to sound good by itself. Ill probably to a mid pipe too before headers. Its just headers and the tune that Im gonna sit on.
The Following User Says Thank You to DannyRZ For This Useful Post:
humfrz (06-28-2018)
Old 06-28-2018, 06:55 AM   #7
DannyRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
Get a cheaper catback and sell when you're ready for headers. In the grand scheme, several years is a while to sit on a catback. Get something you enjoy now and change post-header. With stock headers if you get a catless front pipe and a nice catback, both are easy to swap for inspection and it'll still be mellow.
I know thats why I wanted a decent sounding one that I can pair with a mid pipe for now. I think its bull that headers can void stuff, but Im worried if they see the computer was flashed they will refuse a warranty if anything goes wrong.
Old 06-28-2018, 07:35 AM   #8
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Quote:
I know thats why I wanted a decent sounding one that I can pair with a mid pipe for now. I think its bull that headers can void stuff, but Im worried if they see the computer was flashed they will refuse a warranty if anything goes wrong.
That's why I saved money and bought used. The warranty, to me, is useless. I'd rather get something that has already lasted through the warranty and had its hiccups addressed. Too late now for you, but consider this in the future! Or YOLO and put the headers on!!! I'm usually in the YOLO corner and I haven't been burned yet.

Some dealerships are reasonable and will excuse a reflash tune, but headers I am sure there's no tolerance for
Old 06-28-2018, 08:38 AM   #9
DannyRZ

Quote:
That's why I saved money and bought used. The warranty, to me, is useless. I'd rather get something that has already lasted through the warranty and had its hiccups addressed. Too late now for you, but consider this in the future! Or YOLO and put the headers on!!! I'm usually in the YOLO corner and I haven't been burned yet.

Some dealerships are reasonable and will excuse a reflash tune, but headers I am sure there's no tolerance for
hahaha truuu. The guy who sold me the car I have in writing that as long as I don't mess with the computers or the header I'm good, I can do exhaust and intake blah blah. The dork that did the financing was like "a catback might void the warranty for messing with the engine flow" and I was about to laugh in his face.
Old 06-28-2018, 08:54 AM   #10
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Quote:
hahaha truuu. The guy who sold me the car I have in writing that as long as I don't mess with the computers or the header I'm good, I can do exhaust and intake blah blah. The dork that did the financing was like "a catback might void the warranty for messing with the engine flow" and I was about to laugh in his face.
Well, if you got a catback with 1"ID piping, he could have a case! Thankfully, I think only John Deere, Husqvarna, and Honda use that size exhaust.

You know, you could go full standalone and swap it out when you go to the dealership . MOTEC/VEMS/AEM
Old 06-28-2018, 09:58 AM   #11
DannyRZ

Quote:
Well, if you got a catback with 1"ID piping, he could have a case! Thankfully, I think only John Deere, Husqvarna, and Honda use that size exhaust.

You know, you could go full standalone and swap it out when you go to the dealership . MOTEC/VEMS/AEM
haha imagine. Maybe I should do a perrin 3in haha. i have no plans for F/I though
Old 06-28-2018, 10:15 AM   #12
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Quote:
haha imagine. Maybe I should do a perrin 3in haha. i have no plans for F/I though
FI or not, 3" will sound good. For whatever reason, people are conservative with exhaust on this platform. Bonus is that a Perrin will re-sell much better if you decide in 2 years that you want something else!
Old 06-28-2018, 10:25 AM   #13
DannyRZ

Quote:
FI or not, 3" will sound good. For whatever reason, people are conservative with exhaust on this platform. Bonus is that a Perrin will re-sell much better if you decide in 2 years that you want something else!
Well maybe cuz with an N/A motor a 3in seems like too much in terms of lost back pressure where as with FI it makes mores sense
Old 06-28-2018, 11:07 AM   #14
RayRay88

Drives: 2017 86 860 Special Edition
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Well maybe cuz with an N/A motor a 3in seems like too much in terms of lost back pressure where as with FI it makes mores sense

Back pressure is basically a myth. It's exhaust gas velocity that is much more important. Modern high performance engines flow very well and a three inch exhaust for a naturally aspirated engine isn't out of the question anymore.

It would be interesting to see back to back comparisons of a well designed header (like the ACE) with both 3inch and 2.5inch single exit exhausts. I'm willing to bet you'd see a very small bump in power, especially at the top end.
RayRay88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catback, engine, exhaust, hks, performance