follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 10-04-2017, 10:17 PM   #15
gled21

Drives: White brz 2015 / 93' s13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcas View Post
Yeah 100% get where your coming from. I'd love to buy new the only thing is with that just paying off a 29k car will take a while for me only cause I don't have the highest paying job at the moment and I'm in college sadly. I just don't want to wait till I'm out of college to get the brz though. Although that would be the smart adult decision to make, I feel I just don't want to wait any longer to have this car. I've always wanted one and I feel I've waited long enough to get it hahah.
I feel you, im in undergrad right now as well this is my last year at the u of a and I bought mine new for 28 with 11 down and the rest financed and my payments are about double to triple an electric bill. its tough but its do-able so dont cut yourself short if you think you cant do it brotha.
gled21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 11:02 PM   #16
pkolanko

Drives: 2015 White Series.Blue BRZ
I have owned two BRZs, one new (2014 Limited) and one used (2015 Series.blue). I think I paid $26,500 for the new with maybe 10 miles on it and $21k for the used with 1500 miles on it. I have always bought new cars because I "worried" about the abuse a used car might have taken, but the depreciation of a new car isn't worth it IMO. I saved $5500 and ended up with a practically brand new BRZ that was barely used by the previous owner. Just do your homework on the used and save a ton of $$
pkolanko is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pkolanko For This Useful Post:
Jcas (10-06-2017), zizon93 (10-04-2017)
Old 10-04-2017, 11:09 PM   #17
zizon93

Drives: GBS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I'm in early 20's, attending college and work a part-time job at the moment. If I was live with my parents, I would've bought brand new BRZ because I know they would help me pay my car. Since I live with my friends in an apartment and paying all the bills including car by myself I had no choice but to buy used one. But really whether it's used or new, BRZ/FR-S is good car regardless because it's reliable and just so much fun to drive. I just can't wait to graduate college so once I get myself a decent job I can finally afford brand new BRZ lol.
zizon93 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zizon93 For This Useful Post:
Jcas (10-06-2017)
Old 10-04-2017, 11:13 PM   #18
ToySub1946

Drives: 15FRS, 05MustangGT, 85Toyota truck
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I bought new, a 2015 FRS.

Now with 51,400 miles on it...zero problems so far. Nothing to take it to the dealership under warranty so far.

Since this seems to be an incredibly reliable car, I'd say buy used.

Do not buy a 2013 model year...mostly as those had problems with squeaks and rattle in their interiors.

As others have suggested, have a car thoroughly checked out before buying...and buy one with some of the 5 year 60k warranty remaining for piece of mind should there be any major repair needed within that time frame.
ToySub1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ToySub1946 For This Useful Post:
Jcas (10-06-2017)
Old 10-04-2017, 11:20 PM   #19
zizon93

Drives: GBS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToySub1946 View Post
I bought new, a 2015.

Now with 51,400 miles on it...zero problems so far. Nothing to take it to the dealership under warranty so far.

Since this seems to be an incredibly reliable car, I'd say buy used.

Do not buy a 2013 model...mostly as those had problems with squeaks and rattle in their interiors.

As others have suggested, have a car thoroughly checked out before buying...and buy one with some of the 5 year 60k warranty remaining for piece of mind should there be any major repair needed within that time frame.
Agree, I bought used 2013 and had an absolutely no issues so far though mileage is only 30000 at the moment. The squeaks and rattles don't bother me at all and are barely occur/noticeable anyway. Correct me If I'm wrong but I thought up to 16 BRZ/FR-S have same squeaks and rattles as 13 model? Not sure about new 17 one though.
zizon93 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zizon93 For This Useful Post:
Jcas (10-06-2017)
Old 10-04-2017, 11:56 PM   #20
gtengr

Drives: 2017 BRZ
I usually buy used, but went new on this one. My main concern with used was that this car has a higher percentage of owners adding FI than almost any other car, and I didn't want to risk buying one that had been run hard with FI+E85, etc. Between the new tech on the '17 and getting to roll it new off the lot I'm satisfied with having paid the extra ~$10k.
gtengr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gtengr For This Useful Post:
Jcas (10-06-2017)
Old 10-05-2017, 12:16 AM   #21
RallySport

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Go with a lightly used example and let someone else eat the depreciation. Also, check the history report and keep an eye out for cars that spent their time in areas where they use salt on the roads in the winter. Not a deal breaker but in that case you'll want to check the underbody for corrosion.
RallySport is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RallySport For This Useful Post:
Jcas (10-06-2017)
Old 10-05-2017, 12:50 AM   #22
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,430 Times in 6,146 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcas View Post
Yeah what I figured as well. A good used maintained car is the way To go. Ironically enough this dude I live by in my area is selling RBV2 brz for 20k 😫I want it so bad it's so beautiful. Nothing done to it mechanically what so ever just the rocket bunny kit wheels tires and coils
Is it ironic that "ironically" was used instead of "coincidentally" above? Cause I would definitely expect "coincidentally" in that sentence.

I have to recommend staying away from a widebody kit unless you really know what you are doing and have another car. In simplified terms, it F's up your suspension. It may look good (subjectively) on show cars, and might be somewhat useful for racecars (with $20k+ of suspension r&d and a yachtload more power), but might be problematic for a DD street car, which I am assuming this will be.
Spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Spuds For This Useful Post:
Jcas (10-06-2017)
Old 10-05-2017, 07:53 AM   #23
Jcas

Drives: 2013 Limited Subaru BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkolanko View Post
I have owned two BRZs, one new (2014 Limited) and one used (2015 Series.blue). I think I paid $26,500 for the new with maybe 10 miles on it and $21k for the used with 1500 miles on it. I have always bought new cars because I "worried" about the abuse a used car might have taken, but the depreciation of a new car isn't worth it IMO. I saved $5500 and ended up with a practically brand new BRZ that was barely used by the previous owner. Just do your homework on the used and save a ton of $$
Makes sense for sure thansk for the feedback!
Jcas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 07:54 AM   #24
Jcas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
Is it ironic that "ironically" was used instead of "coincidentally" above? Cause I would definitely expect "coincidentally" in that sentence.

I have to recommend staying away from a widebody kit unless you really know what you are doing and have another car. In simplified terms, it F's up your suspension. It may look good (subjectively) on show cars, and might be somewhat useful for racecars (with $20k+ of suspension r&d and a yachtload more power), but might be problematic for a DD street car, which I am assuming this will be.
Oops 😬Hahahah but yeah I get where your coming from I'm friends with the dude that owns it's super cool he's a great guy and yeah it's not his daily and would actually most likely not be mine either I have a cobalt for my daily at the moment. Brz would def be my project car and like weekend driver type car.
Old 10-05-2017, 07:56 AM   #25
Jcas

Quote:
Originally Posted by RallySport View Post
Go with a lightly used example and let someone else eat the depreciation. Also, check the history report and keep an eye out for cars that spent their time in areas where they use salt on the roads in the winter. Not a deal breaker but in that case you'll want to check the underbody for corrosion.
Yeah the depreciation is something I don't wanna deal with. That's why I'm def leaning more towards a used one instead. And yeah will do I'm very meticulous about cars that I check out so I'll be sure to check for anything that looks rusty or corroded.
Old 10-05-2017, 07:57 AM   #26
Jcas

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtengr View Post
I usually buy used, but went new on this one. My main concern with used was that this car has a higher percentage of owners adding FI than almost any other car, and I didn't want to risk buying one that had been run hard with FI+E85, etc. Between the new tech on the '17 and getting to roll it new off the lot I'm satisfied with having paid the extra ~$10k.
Yeah understandable concern to have. I've actually not thought of that. Most of the used ones I've looked at have always been bone stock maybe besides like different tires. But like you said I have no idea maybe they had different parts on it and switched it back to stock.
Old 10-05-2017, 08:57 AM   #27
Grady

Drives: BRZ Yellow, 2019 Ranger, 2011 Evora
Thanked 1,475 Times in 771 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
I buy new cars. But that is me.

If money is your biggest concern and you only keep a car for 3 years or so. Clean used is the way to go. If you are buying one to race, build engine, modify a ton. Used is the best also.

For me My life cycle on cars is 10+ years generaly. At that time frame depreciation does affect total cost that much. My cheapest transportation ever I am driving still. 2005 Chevrolet Colorado 4dr 5cyl, Bought new for $20k 165K miles on it now. Knock on wood, no major issues just general maintenance and modifications. Still going strong.

The key is to buy a car you can afford, New or used.
Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Grady For This Useful Post:
Jcas (10-06-2017)
Old 10-05-2017, 09:11 AM   #28
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
These cars depreciate fast and a lot of people buy them thinking they will like them and wind up hating them....its easy to find a used one at a great deal.

Unfortunately this also means a lot of turnover in the cars and it isn't uncommon to see 3+ owners on a car that is only a few years old (model wise).

Do some research, find a low mile used one that has a clean record and enjoy. JMO, but unless you can find some dealer willing to make a crazy deal the car isn't "worth" the initial depreciation hit.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Summerwolf For This Useful Post:
Jcas (10-06-2017)

Tags
brz, subaru, subie, used or new