follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-20-2016, 12:31 AM   #29
PandaSPUR
PandaPandaPandaPandaPanda
 
PandaSPUR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited CWP
Location: New York City, NY
Posts: 1,432
Thanks: 776
Thanked 693 Times in 435 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poodles View Post
When it first was released there was supposedly a push to have it released to the USDM market without the flash editor at a discounted price, I'm guessing that fell through?


I like the sound so much I've been tempted to have the thing imported and just never use the flash editor...
I haven't done much comparison among UEL headers, but does the HKS one really sound that different from other quality UEL headers out there?

I figured the appeal of the package for the JDM was the fact that it comes with a flash editor so you dont need a custom tune.
PandaSPUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 08:13 AM   #30
Torry@HKSUSA
Senior Member
 
Torry@HKSUSA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Drives: HKS
Location: Madison Heights, MI
Posts: 131
Thanks: 3
Thanked 114 Times in 62 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaSPUR View Post
Awesome, that makes my shopping around easier.

Another question, is the rear bumper modification easy enough that the usual shop I go to can handle that at the same time as the exhaust installation, or should I go to a body shop first for that? (Cant do any of it myself, no driveway or garage space)

EDIT: And, in the video linked on the first post, is that the Legamax Sports without any other exhaust mods?
The bumper modification is straight forward and doesn't require a body shop. Any shop that is installing the exhaust can easily do the bumper as well.

And yes, that is a Legamax Sports with no other mods.
Torry@HKSUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Torry@HKSUSA For This Useful Post:
PandaSPUR (04-20-2016)
Old 04-20-2016, 08:17 AM   #31
Torry@HKSUSA
Senior Member
 
Torry@HKSUSA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Drives: HKS
Location: Madison Heights, MI
Posts: 131
Thanks: 3
Thanked 114 Times in 62 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poodles View Post
When it first was released there was supposedly a push to have it released to the USDM market without the flash editor at a discounted price, I'm guessing that fell through?


I like the sound so much I've been tempted to have the thing imported and just never use the flash editor...
That's interesting. I'll have to check on that. That happened before I joined HKS. But there seems to be some interest in this manifold because I've been asked about it a few times this past week.

I will see if we can get Japan to split the kit up and sell a non-FE version for the U.S. I'm not sure how critical having the FE tune on it is, but I'll ask.
Torry@HKSUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Torry@HKSUSA For This Useful Post:
Poodles (04-21-2016), softgrip (04-23-2016)
Old 04-21-2016, 08:59 AM   #32
Ashikabi
Senior Member
 
Ashikabi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Drives: 2013 FR-S
Location: Northwest Iowa
Posts: 6,549
Thanks: 429
Thanked 4,088 Times in 2,648 Posts
Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
I just got the dual resonated front pipe with the Legamax premium cat back. I have UEL and overpipe. The sound is great and it's actually pretty quiet. A tiny bit quieter than I would have liked but I haven't had any drone yet. Haven't tried it at 80mph but I didn't notice any when I past the 4000rpm mark so I'm not expecting to encounter any under normal conditions. Quality was good and finish was much wow, so many shiny.
Ashikabi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ashikabi For This Useful Post:
chaoskaze (04-29-2016), [YOYO] (04-21-2016)
Old 04-21-2016, 09:26 AM   #33
[YOYO]
Amazing Member
 
[YOYO]'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Drives: 2014 Whiteout FR-S
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 221
Thanks: 209
Thanked 191 Times in 110 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashikabi View Post
I just got the dual resonated front pipe with the Legamax premium cat back. I have UEL and overpipe. The sound is great and it's actually pretty quiet. A tiny bit quieter than I would have liked but I haven't had any drone yet. Haven't tried it at 80mph but I didn't notice any when I past the 4000rpm mark so I'm not expecting to encounter any under normal conditions. Quality was good and finish was much wow, so many shiny.
I have a Legamax Premium as well. I will be putting on a Tomei UEL very soon so I'm actually happy to hear that the end result isn't stupid loud. I don't want constant headaches
__________________
MY 86 BUILD
[YOYO] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 02:10 AM   #34
Poodles
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 1,781
Thanks: 88
Thanked 777 Times in 479 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaSPUR View Post
I haven't done much comparison among UEL headers, but does the HKS one really sound that different from other quality UEL headers out there?

I figured the appeal of the package for the JDM was the fact that it comes with a flash editor so you dont need a custom tune.


It appears to have the largest difference in runner length, leading to a very pronounced sound that I haven't heard on any other header. HKS tuned the header for the sound from what I've read. Apparently it doesn't make the power some other headers do (HKS compares it to their own EL header saying the EL makes more power), but the sound...



Quote:
Originally Posted by Torry@HKSUSA View Post
That's interesting. I'll have to check on that. That happened before I joined HKS. But there seems to be some interest in this manifold because I've been asked about it a few times this past week.

I will see if we can get Japan to split the kit up and sell a non-FE version for the U.S. I'm not sure how critical having the FE tune on it is, but I'll ask.


If it happens, and it's price is competitive with others on the market, you'll likely sell quite a few.


Us old school guys love HKS
Poodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 11:37 PM   #35
Yobiwan
Senior Member
 
Yobiwan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Drives: Toyota 86 Turbo, Lexus NX300H
Location: S.Korea
Posts: 133
Thanks: 248
Thanked 161 Times in 71 Posts
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url...acks/250440906

I like my HKS legamax sports. it sound great when WOT, but it's so silent when city driving - almost same as stock .
__________________
2012 Toyota 86 6MT / 11:1 CR block by Outfront / SBD500x Turbo 17PSI@93gas /Avo 2.5 overpipe+Avo 2.5 catted frontpipe /MAP 3" CBE/ Tein Mono sport / STI brembo Front /OS技研 LSD/SSR GTX01 18x9.5
Yobiwan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yobiwan For This Useful Post:
PandaSPUR (04-26-2016)
Old 04-26-2016, 09:42 AM   #36
Torry@HKSUSA
Senior Member
 
Torry@HKSUSA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Drives: HKS
Location: Madison Heights, MI
Posts: 131
Thanks: 3
Thanked 114 Times in 62 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poodles View Post
It appears to have the largest difference in runner length, leading to a very pronounced sound that I haven't heard on any other header. HKS tuned the header for the sound from what I've read. Apparently it doesn't make the power some other headers do (HKS compares it to their own EL header saying the EL makes more power), but the sound...


If it happens, and it's price is competitive with others on the market, you'll likely sell quite a few.


Us old school guys love HKS
Hey, so as it turns out, this UEL header *is* available by itself, however, we don't have it listed on our website. I will fix that today. I'll get it added up there as well as edit the first post in this thread with that addition.
Torry@HKSUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Torry@HKSUSA For This Useful Post:
softgrip (04-26-2016)
Old 04-26-2016, 09:49 AM   #37
PandaSPUR
PandaPandaPandaPandaPanda
 
PandaSPUR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited CWP
Location: New York City, NY
Posts: 1,432
Thanks: 776
Thanked 693 Times in 435 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torry@HKSUSA View Post
Hey, so as it turns out, this UEL header *is* available by itself, however, we don't have it listed on our website. I will fix that today. I'll get it added up there as well as edit the first post in this thread with that addition.
Question about that header then. Is it catted or not? I tried looking it up and apparently theres a small high flow cat jammed in at the end there but i cant tell.
PandaSPUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 09:49 AM   #38
Torry@HKSUSA
Senior Member
 
Torry@HKSUSA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Drives: HKS
Location: Madison Heights, MI
Posts: 131
Thanks: 3
Thanked 114 Times in 62 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaSPUR View Post
Question about that header then. Is it catted or not? I tried looking it up and apparently theres a small high flow cat jammed in at the end there but i cant tell.
Yes, the UEL header includes a cat. The EL header does not.
Torry@HKSUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 10:25 AM   #39
Torry@HKSUSA
Senior Member
 
Torry@HKSUSA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Drives: HKS
Location: Madison Heights, MI
Posts: 131
Thanks: 3
Thanked 114 Times in 62 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Ok guys! Updated the thread with the Boxer Spec UEL header and also added it to the www.hksusa.com website!
Torry@HKSUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Torry@HKSUSA For This Useful Post:
softgrip (04-26-2016)
Old 04-26-2016, 10:34 AM   #40
Ashikabi
Senior Member
 
Ashikabi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Drives: 2013 FR-S
Location: Northwest Iowa
Posts: 6,549
Thanks: 429
Thanked 4,088 Times in 2,648 Posts
Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torry@HKSUSA View Post
Ok guys! Updated the thread with the Boxer Spec UEL header and also added it to the www.hksusa.com website!
Can we get a catless version of the UEL? Not interested in adding a cat back in but I wouldn't mind adding another HKS part to my exhaust
Ashikabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 10:35 AM   #41
Cole
Not a troll
 
Cole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Drives: FR-S
Location: Canada
Posts: 4,968
Thanks: 8,209
Thanked 5,137 Times in 2,590 Posts
Mentioned: 263 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torry@HKSUSA View Post
Ok guys! Updated the thread with the Boxer Spec UEL header and also added it to the www.hksusa.com website!
Wow. That's Ace money right there...

Was really hoping it would be more on par with Tomei, and was going to order one ASAP. Not now though. Too bad.
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 10:42 AM   #42
Torry@HKSUSA
Senior Member
 
Torry@HKSUSA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Drives: HKS
Location: Madison Heights, MI
Posts: 131
Thanks: 3
Thanked 114 Times in 62 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashikabi View Post
Can we get a catless version of the UEL? Not interested in adding a cat back in but I wouldn't mind adding another HKS part to my exhaust
Sorry, but that's the only way it's offered. The sound was tuned by HKS while using the cat, so by making a cat-less version, they'd not only have to build it, but they'd have to retune the sound as well. Not something HKS is likely to do unless there is a ton of demand for it, which we haven't seen.
Torry@HKSUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Tags
exhaust, header, hi-power, hks, legamax

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
exhaust choices FloridaBRZ Engine, Exhaust, Transmission 4 01-26-2015 09:32 AM
UPGRADE-what are my exhaust choices cbennybrz Engine, Exhaust, Transmission 6 01-01-2015 08:45 PM
Exhaust Choices for FI rixter145 Engine, Exhaust, Transmission 4 09-11-2014 01:15 PM
Exhaust choices KonTheory Engine, Exhaust, Transmission 6 01-30-2014 04:28 AM
Help with Lug choices. feldy Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack 0 05-24-2012 08:19 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.