follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 04-09-2017, 02:53 PM   #43
FR-Sky

Drives: 2013 FR-S 10 series [755]
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
My driving position?
Chill mode. I lay back more and raise my height.
FR-Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 02:22 AM   #44
TheRoops

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Series.Blue
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Wait, the steering wheel can scope out? Son of a b. The amount I don't even know about this car.
TheRoops is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheRoops For This Useful Post:
15limited (04-27-2017)
Old 04-15-2017, 02:54 AM   #45
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRoops View Post
Wait, the steering wheel can scope out? Son of a b. The amount I don't even know about this car.
Old 04-16-2017, 03:30 AM   #46
Legionsk88

Drives: 2015 WRB Limited BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubersuber View Post
It all starts with the brake pedal. For safety on the street (and track driving isn't really different in this respect) you need to be able to apply maximum possible force to the brake pedal which means at fully depressed brake pedal (on the floor in the event of severe brake fade) your knee should still be bent. Do not rely on your ankle for brake line pressure. If you drive a competition car with lower or no brake servo assistance you'll realize how important this can be.

This one aspect determines where your seat should be fore and aft. Then select a comfortable rake for the seat back. Then the steering wheel can be adjusted to your limb lengths. My preference in the BRZ is a more upright seatback (I find the laid back position I favour in other cars to be uncomfortable in the BRZ with its low seating position to begin with) and I adjust the steering wheel reach accordingly, most of the way back towards me and quite high to allow clear view of the instruments. My leg is 31(inseam) and my arm/shoulder is 33.5 (shirt sleeve length) and I am almost 6 ft tall so tall in the torso. In most cars I have to rake the seat to get under the roof but not so the BRZ which has lots of headroom (though a helmet tightens that up).

Everything else is pretty much optional although using your ankle to actuate the clutch is probably not ideal, your personal experience may differ. On almost all cars, though, the brake pedal height is the same as the clutch pedal height and so is the pedal travel.

For proper leverage on the steering wheel assuming proper power assisted steering requires that you be able to comfortably turn the wheel through 180 degrees without moving your hands or lifting your shoulders from the seat back.

There are two generally accepted steering methods: overarm and shuffle but the arm position is the same, even shuffle steerers (more common in the old days) should make the last wheel movement through up to 270 degrees if necessary without moving your hands.

Hand position on the wheel is subject to at least three commonly used variations all of which are safe and effective: standard 10 and 2 (hands at these clock positions) the preferred 9 and 3 (better for large and smoothly controlled wheel movements that give driving testers coniptions) and the Italian 8 and 4 useful for older Italian cars (and you wonder why those Ferrari steering wheels slope away from the driver so far, not for reading the newspaper). I prefer 9 and 3 for most cars and 8 and 4 for Italian cars. I prefer the shuffle technique if much more than 180 degrees of steering wheel movement is expected. With the BRZ I hardly ever have to move my hands on the wheel from 9 and 3.

Bear in mind that of the three generally used hand positions only the Italian grip requires the shuffle technique as you can rarely reach the top of the wheel and keep your shoulders touching your seat unless you have long arms and short legs....

It all begins with correct seat position for operating the brake pedal in extreme emergency. Everything else is mainly a matter of personal taste and comfort as long as you remain firmly seated at all times. The steering wheel and pedals are not stability aids.

what he said
Legionsk88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 09:14 PM   #47
DAC17

Drives: 2022 MX-5 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by giorgi0424 View Post
I"m 6'4, mostly legs, but not disproportionate really. I wear 34 length jeans. Anyways, I have my seat all the way back, with no recline to the back, and seat all the way lowered. Also, my steering wheel is all the way towards me ,and almost all the way up so I can get proper hand/knee clearance when sliding my car around. I have the optimal setup for me for performance driving. It's how I always set up my cars. I don't do the "look at how gangsta I am" setups in my cars. driving like that is a joke.
And, if you do that "gangsta" and happen to hit something, your legs will "submarine" under the dash, and your thigh bone will snap. Not a good outcome...
DAC17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 06:12 PM   #48
pfaffendorn

Drives: 2014 ssm BRZ Limited 6M
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionsk88 View Post
what he said
Yes, what he said, for sure! A super good analysis of how to fold your body into a sports car. Both my inseam and sleeve length are 34. I used to be 5'11", but with my discs drying out, I have become shorter in the torso and now measure 5'10" only after my massage therapist unchains me from his rack. (Yes, guys, wait for it!)

To be simple about it, first I set the seat forward/back for easy and fast (and strong) access to the pedals. The seat up/down I then set for a comfortable knee bend and gentle thigh contact with the cushion -- air between my thighs and the cushion makes me nuts if all my weight is concentrated on my tailbone -- .

Finally, the rake of the seat back gets adjusted for nearly fully extended arms and an easy 8-4 or 9-3 grip. If things get fast and tense, the seat back comes up a little more vertical for a strong 10-2 grip, but that's the only change necessary. A little fooling around with the wheel tilt and telescope is okay, but nearly superfluous if I get the above three steps right.

Old 06-02-2017, 06:37 PM   #49
ericwudi0830

Drives: Scion FR-S
Seat all the way down, halfway towards the back to accomodate my 5'11" self
Old 06-02-2017, 08:02 PM   #50
Gforce
Banned

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamburgerSushi View Post
Hi guys - I'm 6'1", 34" inch inseam

I'm wondering if there is a fix to raise the lower part of the seat to support my thighs better when driving. Right now I have some space between the seat and my thighs, which can be fatiguing.

I was thinking about finding some bolts with the same thread as the BRZ rails but longer, with a spacer between the floor's bolt-in position and the rails. I don't like that the rails would be floating though.

Any ideas?
I agree. The front edge of the seat is too low even if the seat is as low as it goes.

I add the caution that seat rails and seat positions are now very important parts of occupant safety in a collision. In the 70's all cars were dangerous and messing around with seat rails probably made no material difference to occupant safety. Now that cars are so carefully engineered to protect occupants I suggest that no modification to the seat or its mountings would be safe enough to risk doing. Just the airbag problem should be reason enough not to mess with the factory seat position.

A product from a recognized seat maker like Recaro, Corbeau or Sparco would work , but they don't make one for our cars, so far as I know.
Gforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 07:10 AM   #51
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Recaro Japan makes railways for our cars. Unfortunately, you cannot find them in US or Canada. Only if you import them from Japan.
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote