follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 03-14-2017, 02:29 PM   #1
PECEOUT

Drives: 2017 Subaru Brz Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Installing a aftermarket exhaut

Hey guys! So I order a corsa cat back exhaut and called a local Subaru dealership and asked if they would install it and they said no. So my concern was voiding my manufacturer warranty and he said I would be voiding it if I get it get installed elsewhere. Btw this is in Indiana. Can someone confirm that for me?

Thank you!
PECEOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 02:58 PM   #2
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PECEOUT View Post
Hey guys! So I order a corsa cat back exhaut and called a local Subaru dealership and asked if they would install it and they said no. So my concern was voiding my manufacturer warranty and he said I would be voiding it if I get it get installed elsewhere. Btw this is in Indiana. Can someone confirm that for me?

Thank you!
They can not "void" the warranty.
What they can do is refuse warranty coverage on any failure that can be directly linked to the exhaust. They can sometimes get pretty creative in how something directly results in a failure but it is pretty hard for them to prove that a catback caused an issue. Just get another shop to do it (or find somebody that can give you a hand since it is really easy) and don't worry about what they said.
humfrz (03-15-2017), tinma (03-14-2017)
Old 03-14-2017, 03:02 PM   #3
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Before you go down the modification route, it will help a great deal if you took some time to understand your rights as a consumer when it comes to vehicle warranty.

It helps to read your owner's manual. Or Subaru's warranty info.

https://www.subaru.com/owners/vehicl...ties-2017.html

Quote:
The vehicle is not eligible for warranty coverage if the vehicle identification number is altered or cannot be read; if the vehicle has been declared a total loss or sold for salvage purposes; if the vehicle has been dismantled, destroyed or changed in such a manner that constitutes a material alteration of its original construction; if the odometer mileage has been changed so that mileage cannot be readily determined.
Everything else is on a case by case basis. Your paint warranty is not affected by your exhaust unless your exhaust burns your paint. Your airbags failing is not affected by your exhaust unless your exhaust vibrates and causes your airbags to fail.

etc.

Read your warranty booklet. Read your owner's manual.
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mav1178 For This Useful Post:
humfrz (03-15-2017), strat61caster (03-14-2017), Tcoat (03-14-2017)
Old 03-14-2017, 03:04 PM   #4
KnightRyderx2

Drives: 2014 FR-S
You would not be voiding any warranty just by having it on there. It does not matter if you put it on or Joe from down the street did it.

With that said if you needing warranty work and they find your aftermarket exhaust has contributed to or caused it, they can void your warranty then, but they will have to prove it. Like Tcoat said they can get pretty creative.

Now if your talking about the exhaust warranty there maybe a thing stating it can only be install by a certified professional for the warranty to stand.
KnightRyderx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 03:38 PM   #5
Stang70Fastback
A.K.A. Starlord

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Thanked 2,099 Times in 834 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightRyderx2 View Post
With that said if you needing warranty work and they find your aftermarket exhaust has contributed to or caused it, they can void your warranty then, but they will have to prove it. Like Tcoat said they can get pretty creative.
This statement requires further clarification. As others have said, nothing you do automatically voids your entire warranty short of dunking the entire car into the ocean.

As KnightRyder stated, if a dealership determines that a modification you made caused a part to fail, they can... let's not say "VOID," let's say "DENY" to repair that specific part under warranty. It doesn't VOID your whole warranty.

An example: You slam your car to the ground on coilovers. A few months later, one of your rear axles breaks. You bring the car in for repair, and it is still well-within the warranty period. If your car was stock, the axle would be replaced for free. However, the dealership would likely point to your coilovers and say, "The reason your axle failed is because you've slammed your car to the ground, ruining the geometry of the rear suspension, and putting a whole bunch of added stress on your axles."

They wouldn't be incorrect in coming to that conclusion, and at that point it's all down to how nice they are as to whether or not they will replace the part under warranty, or make you pay for it since the only reason it failed is because of the coilovers you installed.

The rest of your warranty is still intact. For example, if your door falls off, they can't refuse to repair it under warranty because of your coilovers, because there is no way they contributed to that failure.

TL;DR, dealerships can refuse to cover specific parts under warranty, if they determine that the failure was the result of a modification you made to the car, but there is no such thing as a modification that voids your entire warranty up front.

Check out my blog, read all about my BRZ adventures, and oogle my sweet cell-phone photos!
You can also find me on Instagram, and on Facebook.
Stang70Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 04:54 PM   #6
PECEOUT

Drives: 2017 Subaru Brz Limited
Thanks a lot guys! This helps a lot. I had my doubts but I just wanted to double check myself!
PECEOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PECEOUT For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (03-16-2017)
Old 03-16-2017, 01:14 AM   #7
Legionsk88

Drives: 2015 WRB Limited BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PECEOUT View Post

Thank you!
OOOR you could just install it yourself. Congrats on the exhaust. I too have it and i love it.
Legionsk88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 09:32 AM   #8
zc06_kisstherain

Drives: SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
another noobie showed up without searching.... and asking same questions again and again...
zc06_kisstherain is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brz, corsa, exhaust, frs, warranty