follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 06-07-2012, 05:19 PM   #1
eriktherod

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Firestorm Red MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
FR-S as a relaxing cruise...

Some of this may have to do with the fact that I'm still babying the FR-S, but in general I think it will still apply.

The drive of this car is more of a relaxing cruise to me compared to my previous Si. I remember I used to be left lane at all times, going a bit above speed limit and sometimes well beyond just having fun winding her out. She was loud, opened up for sure, and I loved engine braking down a good 3k rpm with room to spare.

I feel like with the FR-S it's quite a contrast. I don't mind going the speed limit or just a few over, cruising even in the center or right lanes. Just the wind and some Van Halen playing, no need to hurry things.

I've been trying to think why this may be the case. Granted I bought the Si 4 years ago and I'm sure I was full of piss and vinegar then compared to now, but even still. Maybe it's the view out the windshield and those tiny side windows that make me feel like it's about the journey instead. I love just looking at the side mirrors and seeing the side curves and rear end, or even out the front and seeing the headlight curves on the corners of the windshield.

Simply put, I feel like this car makes me feel less like 26 and more like in the 30s (not that it's a bad thing, just to give you an idea).

Anyone else feel this way compared to driving other cars?
eriktherod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 05:30 PM   #2
Bristecom

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ PP
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
On my test drive, I was surprised by how smooth it was. It could definitely be a good cruiser.

My current Eclipse almost forces me to drive aggressively. The power comes on hard and the clutch and shifting needs to be timed well to get a good flow of power. And the dampers respond quickly and you can feel every little bump in the road. It's a bit of a chore and not exactly relaxing but it's fun and that's what I love about it. The FR-S however will definitely be a smoother, more comfortable, and more relaxing car, while still being fun in a slightly different way.
Old 06-07-2012, 05:32 PM   #3
MVJ1975
Automatic Hooligan

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Oh, definitely. I cannot wait for the end of the month and my 300mi drive up to my parents' house in PA.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:44 PM   #4
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,943 Times in 11,378 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eriktherod View Post
..The drive of this car is more of a relaxing cruise to me compared to my previous Si....

I feel like with the FR-S it's quite a contrast. I don't mind going the speed limit or just a few over, cruising even in the center or right lanes. Just the wind and some Van Halen playing, no need to hurry things.
I have to agree its definitely a nice cruiser when you want it to be. On a recent 500 mile trip I took, the first half was the last 200miles of my break-in period +50 miles bonus under 4K revs. It was highway speeds, radio going leaned back and one hand on the wheel just watching the scenery and the miles swish by.

Trip back was a little different! Mountain roads, switching gears, working the tranny. All documented in the Owner's Journal.

I have to admit I've definitely driven a "little more aggressively" since 1000 miles!
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
LeavingNormal (06-07-2012)