follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 11-13-2017, 06:20 PM   #4285
keithr

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited (DGM)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by revaholic View Post
Why does this seem to happen to everyone eventually
"Everyone" might be a bit overstated... Given enough time ANY mechanical system will eventually fail. If we're talking about a reasonably expected lifetime for a part, however, I am curious to know what the EXPECTED service life is for the Rotrex vs. the failure rate that we've seen. You know, empirical data and all that.

I had one fail on me (same symptoms... sounded like metal on metal)... and yes I was bummed and it really brought my spirits down after just spending all that money and time. However, things break, and manufacturing tolerances are not perfect. We are talking about a part that spins really fast, and bearings, oil, etc., after all. Jackson worked with me to get my car back on the road while the issue was sorted out with Rotrex. They (Rotrex) did eventually cover it under warranty, so they stand behind their product and didn't try to blame me for the failure. I suppose if I had done something stupid to cause the failure it would have been on me, and that's perfectly fair.

Manufacturers know that it's an imperfect world and a certain percentage of parts are going to fail, that's why you have a warranty.

Since the C30 (what I have) and C38 are used in multiple applications, we are not the only sample set using these units. I would be curious to see, however, the installed base vs. failure rate numbers for our platform as well as how that reflects the total installed base vs. failure rate. Does it fail more often in our cars? Less often? Are the failure rate numbers within the parameters of the expected failure rates for < 6 months, 1 yr, 2 yr, etc?
keithr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 06:50 PM   #4286
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,175 Times in 6,834 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithr View Post
Thank you -- this is exactly the response I was hoping for.

Question: you are pretty adamant that the softest spring be used in the non-JR-supplied recirc valve scenarios, but folks are reporting the best observed results with the stiffer/stiffest springs in their kits. I'm not second guessing your advice -- I'm simply curious why this is?
Instead of releasing the boost, it is being forced into the engine, even under light throttle condition, resulting in more power being made for a given accelerator position.

Boost normally being released is instead, going into the engine, consequently mandating more fuel, and ultimately generating more output.
CSG Mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 08:04 PM   #4287
q335r49

Drives: 2013 scion fr-s

I just finished the install and the RPM's aren't falling when I change gears. There is always a little "spike" after I let go of the accelerator / depress the clutch, regardless of the order I depress them. Also, the green line shows the boost not really falling, despite the big dip.

1) Is this a bypass valve issue? I checked the vacuum line and it seemed to be be good.

2) Is the bypass valve loud? Should I be able to hear a hiss or something when I let off the throttle?

Last edited by q335r49; 11-13-2017 at 08:24 PM.
q335r49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 08:04 PM   #4288
Sapphireho
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Drives: '15 ultramarine
Thanked 18,240 Times in 8,609 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Instead of releasing the boost, it is being forced into the engine, even under light throttle condition, resulting in more power being made for a given accelerator position.

Boost normally being released is instead, going into the engine, consequently mandating more fuel, and ultimately generating more output.
So is this good or bad for performance?

For longevity?

For the dailydriver?

For the track rat?

Sorry if stupid questions or missed a post
Sapphireho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 08:10 PM   #4289
revaholic

Drives: 2016 Ablaze Scion FR-S
Yes, you make a lot of fair comments in your post. It's hard to tell from internet posts on a relatively niche product what the failure rate is. But it seems to me, that the story of one of these rotrex blowers eventually getting really noisy and failing is not uncommon. I know that's an unsubstantiated comment but it just didn't surprise me to hear from someone that their blower got really loud over time. The other thing I do hear, and like you're saying is JR and Rotrex's good customer service, which is the silver lining I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithr View Post
"Everyone" might be a bit overstated... Given enough time ANY mechanical system will eventually fail. If we're talking about a reasonably expected lifetime for a part, however, I am curious to know what the EXPECTED service life is for the Rotrex vs. the failure rate that we've seen. You know, empirical data and all that.

I had one fail on me (same symptoms... sounded like metal on metal)... and yes I was bummed and it really brought my spirits down after just spending all that money and time. However, things break, and manufacturing tolerances are not perfect. We are talking about a part that spins really fast, and bearings, oil, etc., after all. Jackson worked with me to get my car back on the road while the issue was sorted out with Rotrex. They (Rotrex) did eventually cover it under warranty, so they stand behind their product and didn't try to blame me for the failure. I suppose if I had done something stupid to cause the failure it would have been on me, and that's perfectly fair.

Manufacturers know that it's an imperfect world and a certain percentage of parts are going to fail, that's why you have a warranty.

Since the C30 (what I have) and C38 are used in multiple applications, we are not the only sample set using these units. I would be curious to see, however, the installed base vs. failure rate numbers for our platform as well as how that reflects the total installed base vs. failure rate. Does it fail more often in our cars? Less often? Are the failure rate numbers within the parameters of the expected failure rates for < 6 months, 1 yr, 2 yr, etc?
revaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 12:36 PM   #4290
q335r49

Well, I found the answer to my own probelm. The RKX bypass valve installs backwards compared to the stock one, with the vacuum line running to the bottom. Not sure why it would make a difference, but the RPM's seem to drop faster now, plus the delayed clutch push after releasing the accelerator.

Is this pretty much expected behavior for superchargers? Delay releasing the clutch more after letting off the accelerator?
Old 11-18-2017, 07:32 AM   #4291
Deep Six

Drives: 2013 FRS / 2013 427 Vert
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
It is! I'd recommend a 6500 RPM redline with it on a C30.

FYI The mounting bracket that comes with this kit is not compatible with a C30 compressor. The 4 bolt holes to the unit itself do not line up with a C30.

Assuming the bracket is for lowering the unit slightly to maintain the same position relative to the belt with the smaller pulley in place? I have switched pulleys and the belt still feels very tight. I'd feel better if there was a slightly larger idler pulley to swap out or a slightly shorter belt available from Gates.
2013 FR-S Asphalt BC Coils/Rev Works UEL header/HKS Front Pipe/Racing Brake BBK/Shorai LW Battery/ACT 6 Puck Clutch/FBM Radiator & Oil Pan/JR Oil Cooler/Jackson Racing High Boost C30/Rev Works Built Motor
2016 Audi TTS APR Tuned
Deep Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 10:27 AM   #4292
gtengr

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Racing View Post
The lower reservoir location applies to C8 and C15 unit seals. C30 and C38 units have a different seal setup. Example: Our prototype K-Track setup on the Super Lap Battle Unlimited FWD record killing Integra Type R would not function if that rule applied to C30/C38, as that unit is located on the bottom of the engine.
Thanks for clarifying. Though it's not required, Rotrex still recommends that the reservoir be placed lower than the charger on the C30/C38. http://www.rotrex.com/Home/Technolog...-of-oil-system
gtengr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gtengr For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (11-20-2017)
Old 11-18-2017, 11:55 AM   #4293
q335r49

Any of you guys running flex fuel? Sorta new to these options since I've been driving a 93 Corolla until about March. Did you guys just buy a kit or did you get all the stuff separately? Any noticeable gains?
Old 11-19-2017, 10:19 AM   #4294
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic

Drives: '14 FR-S Monogram AT JRSC
Thanked 1,035 Times in 684 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by q335r49 View Post
Any of you guys running flex fuel? Sorta new to these options since I've been driving a 93 Corolla until about March. Did you guys just buy a kit or did you get all the stuff separately? Any noticeable gains?
If you search "flex fuel" in this thread, it has been discussed many times before. Just two comments I selected from that search.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...el#post2732445

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...el#post2850920
mrg666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 11:24 AM   #4295
Deep Six

Drives: 2013 FRS / 2013 427 Vert
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Did the street tuning this morning with James (HRI Tuning) with the 90mm pulley

How does 9lbs of boost at 4200 rpm sound? We dropped the rev limiter to 7K and it was making about 12.5 pounds at that point. Feels like a PD blower now that pulls even harder as the rpm's keep increasing.

Thinking about machining the C38 RS bracket that came with it to align with the bolt pattern of C30 but honestly those boost numbers don't seem to indicate much belt slippage.
2013 FR-S Asphalt BC Coils/Rev Works UEL header/HKS Front Pipe/Racing Brake BBK/Shorai LW Battery/ACT 6 Puck Clutch/FBM Radiator & Oil Pan/JR Oil Cooler/Jackson Racing High Boost C30/Rev Works Built Motor
2016 Audi TTS APR Tuned
Deep Six is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Deep Six For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (11-20-2017), gtengr (11-19-2017)
Old 11-19-2017, 10:09 PM   #4296
sebastiansim

Drives: 2015 Crystal Black Silica Brz MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
So I have a dilemma. I plan on getting the Jackson Racing kit in a couple of months but I have heard of a break in period with the supercharger. Now, if I were to get this kit, I would not get the carb tune that comes with it because I run different headers/front pipe etc. so I would have to tow my car down to the shop that I can get tuned at. But if it's going to be run hard on the dyno right after being installed, wouldn't that put the supercharger in harm's way without doing the break in period?
How long is the break in period supposed to be?
Would my car be safe to run around town just to get the supercharger up and running a bit before the dyno tune?
Any advice will help! Thanks!
sebastiansim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 08:50 AM   #4297
gtengr

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastiansim View Post
So I have a dilemma. I plan on getting the Jackson Racing kit in a couple of months but I have heard of a break in period with the supercharger. Now, if I were to get this kit, I would not get the carb tune that comes with it because I run different headers/front pipe etc. so I would have to tow my car down to the shop that I can get tuned at. But if it's going to be run hard on the dyno right after being installed, wouldn't that put the supercharger in harm's way without doing the break in period?
How long is the break in period supposed to be?
Would my car be safe to run around town just to get the supercharger up and running a bit before the dyno tune?
Any advice will help! Thanks!
Have you discussed with your shop? They should be able to do a base tune that would be safe for you to putt around in to get the charger broken in.
gtengr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 12:11 PM   #4298
q335r49

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrg666 View Post
If you search "flex fuel" in this thread, it has been discussed many times before. Just two comments I selected from that search.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...el#post2732445

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...el#post2850920

Absolutely terrifying... hard to tell whether that's an isolated incident with the dude who appears to be running stock except for a JRSC with a delicious tune and flex fuel. Unfortunately hard to tell what the failure rate is. So tempting though, as it's so little money for so much gains.

However, if there's anything that project cars taught me it's that stability and traction control are your best friends and a stock FRS is plenty fast.