follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 09-08-2013, 04:49 PM   #1
Shanahan

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Jun BL Review (with video clips)

I noticed a couple guys checking out my exhaust yesterday at C&C so I thought I'd show a better view and review of it.
It's the JUN BL GT Cat-back System
http://junbl.com/en/newmaker/view.php?cate=1&idx=43

Sound: Overall the in-car sound isn't too bad, definitely no drone or fart-can sound I expected out this size engine.
From outside it sounds really nice, many compliments from friends with more discerning ears.
This should be the link:
[ame="http://vimeo.com/74018862"]Jun BL Exhaust Note on Vimeo[/ame]

Fit and finish: Top notch not a single issues installing. Everything slid together easily, bolted tight and straight the first time. Welds are smooth, even and shinny.
This should be the link:
[ame="http://vimeo.com/74010807"]Jun BL on Vimeo[/ame]

-Note Vimeo is acting up so links are redirecting for some reason-

Performance: An exhaust alone (without a tune) really won't do much if anything on these cars. People claiming otherwise are mostly trying to justify the money they laid out. That said I only expected gains if any above 4k RPM, where yes there is a noticeable difference from the butt dyno. You do notice the opened up flow and with a tune i would expect nice number increase. I'm contemplating a tune, but I'll probably hold out and add some kind of forced induction at some point. My office is attached to the house so I don't drive too much, and this isn't one of my daily drivers so I'm not really in a hurry to force a project for the sake of getting it done. I'll wait a year or so when the bugs are worked out of the forced induction options on the market.

Price: Anytime the Jun BL systems are mentioned on here it becomes a bashing thread about how x brand is cheaper Y brand is .004 HP more ( read my thoughts on the claimed gains above.) Regardless I feel the system is priced accordingly and you get what you pay for in the quality. Maybe if your only experience is the more mass marketed cars with several stickers/names on the same systems (marketed as unique systems, marketing win!)I could see where you're coming from. With the bigger sales to allow for a lower cost then yeah i guess it might be more than your used to. Most of my toys and projects are a little more rare and parts tend to cost a little more, but the lower production numbers typically allow for more attention to detail. That being said to each their own.

Last edited by Shanahan; 09-09-2013 at 07:47 AM.
Shanahan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shanahan For This Useful Post:
ngabdala (09-08-2013)
Old 09-08-2013, 05:02 PM   #2
dbrandt01

Drives: none
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Good review, never heard of the company, but I'll look into them. Did you mean to put the same video twice or is one supposed to be a sound clip? Though I saw the sound clip by going to your profile on there, but wow I like the sound it actually.
dbrandt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:38 AM   #3
Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrandt01 View Post
Good review, never heard of the company, but I'll look into them. Did you mean to put the same video twice or is one supposed to be a sound clip? Though I saw the sound clip by going to your profile on there, but wow I like the sound it actually.
Thanks, I didn't even notice. I meant to put two different links, I fixed it.

-edit- or not. There appears to be a vimeo glitch that is redirecting either link to the same video.

This should be the link. [ame="http://vimeo.com/74018862"]Jun BL Exhaust Note on Vimeo[/ame]
Old 09-09-2013, 12:50 PM   #4
vincent201089

Drives: frs
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Nice tone. I think this really close to nameless.
vincent201089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 10:37 PM   #5
Shanahan

It has been a long time since I posted this clip so here is an update.

I cannot say enough good things about this exhaust. It flows amazing and zero drone at highway speeds. However as with most things on cars good, is never good enough.
I have since added a 60mm Tanabe overpipe. Scored a great deal from PrimeDriven.com I also won a free MR2 when I bought it, but that's another thread I really need to write. https://primedriven.com/pages/previous-giveaways

Here is the overpipe:

Had to get the Rumble going with an OpenFlash UEL

I can't get the video link to work (happened last time too)