follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 11-09-2017, 06:23 PM   #15
Wise
Circle Work Clerk

Drives: 2012 Mt. Fuji Red Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole View Post
I see more supercars on that list than sports cars. Seems like the author is a bit of a dummy.
Supercars and Hypercars aren't really a vehicle classification, more of a buzzword for auto journalists.
Wise is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wise For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (11-09-2017)
Old 11-09-2017, 06:41 PM   #16
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
@Tcoat

That Coronet looks well beyond minimal modifications for motorsports. I mean it was basically a sedan that was cut down into a coupe and then had the R/T trimmings added. How much over a base Coronet was that? So it's not really confusing to me. Not a Sportscar.

That's exactly why I prefer Frere's definition vs. Wikipedia & the above R&T article. Neither of the others really speak towards the Motorsports aspect of the name Sportscar. Only that the car is fun to drive or at one time was modded to high heaven from the factory to make it race. Those type of cars and "Sporty"cars do not always equal Sportscars (that's why the Golf R is not a Sportscar. The original form needed $25k to make competitive for sport.) So what's the difference? Frere's definition points us in a clearer direction.

"Any production car that, with minimal modification, can be used competitively in motorsports."

Last edited by DAEMANO; 11-09-2017 at 06:56 PM.
DAEMANO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 07:51 PM   #17
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAEMANO View Post
@Tcoat

"Any production car that, with minimal modification, can be used competitively in motorsports

That Coronet looks well beyond minimal modifications for motorsports. I mean it was basically a sedan that was cut down into a coupe and then had the R/T trimmings added. How much over a base Coronet was that? So it's not really confusing to me. Not a Sportscar.

That's exactly why I prefer Frere's definition vs. Wikipedia & the above R&T article. Neither of the others really speak towards the Motorsports aspect of the name Sportscar. Only that the car is fun to drive or at one time was modded to high heaven from the factory to make it race. Those type of cars and "Sporty"cars do not always equal Sportscars (that's why the Golf R is not a Sportscar. The original form needed $25k to make competitive for sport.) So what's the difference? Frere's definition points us in a clearer direction.

"Any production car that, with minimal modification, can be used competitively in motorsports."
The 1970 Coronet R/t is a production car that with minimal modification can be used in motor sport. It is not a modified sedan it is a production car unto itself and by the very definition you provided it is 100% sports car. How does price over a base sedan come into play? By your definition are the STi or WRX sports cars or not? Are the base Corvettes sports cars but the top trims are not? Does an engine swapped Twin no longer qualify as a sports car since it is heavily modified? Does every single car that has a base level eliminate all levels above that since they are modified? Does this not rule out the BRZ limited and PP as sports cars?

The term "sports car" existed well before some dude write a book. He did not coin the term nor classify the cars but simply gave his own twist on the interpretation. It is not gospel and I actually see loads of holes in it. Becuase he states that they must be used in motors ports to quality that rules out most of what were considered the classic and true sports cars in history.

You used a Wiki article to counter may GT statement but then over rule my use since it does not agree with your stand. Either we rely on their definitions or we don't. We can not just use the ones we want and throw the rest away.
Old 11-09-2017, 07:52 PM   #18
Allch Chcar

Drives: N/A
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
As I understood it, sports car was a made up marketing term that is more commonly associated with a roadster. I just assume that we're talking about the popular usage of sports car. Which is sufficiently vague to mean just about anything with two doors and/or a high output engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonitti View Post
Daily Driver, occasional weekend drifter.
Allch Chcar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Allch Chcar For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (11-09-2017)
Old 11-09-2017, 08:07 PM   #19
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allch Chcar View Post
As I understood it, sports car was a made up marketing term that is more commonly associated with a roadster. I just assume that we're talking about the popular usage of sports car. Which is sufficiently vague to mean just about anything with two doors and/or a high output engine.
This is completely correct now. My argument is based upon the OLD use of the term. Like I have said the use of the word has grown to include many cars over the last 30 years or so. If anybody had called many of the cars encompassed in the modern interpretation a sports car one back prior to about 1990 they would have been laughed out of the room.
I personalty will never be able to think of a fixed roof car as a sports car no matter how many people throw quotes at me but at the same time I fully understand that the term has broadened.

Last edited by Tcoat; 11-09-2017 at 08:40 PM.
Tcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 08:27 PM   #20
stevesnj

Drives: 2016 FR-S Oceanic Blue
Thanked 1,601 Times in 923 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole View Post
I see more supercars on that list than sports cars. Seems like the author is a bit of a dummy.
Super Cars are sports cars

My 2016 Build thread

TRD Exhaust with custom quad tips, TRD Lowering Springs,TRD Quick shifter,LED;DRL, Projectors, and turn signals. Re-badge, 86 Nanny, WinmaxW2 Pads, K&N Drop In, Antenna delete
stevesnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 08:28 PM   #21
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevesnj View Post
They are just super ones.
Old 11-09-2017, 08:29 PM   #22
stevesnj

Drives: 2016 FR-S Oceanic Blue
Thanked 1,601 Times in 923 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
They are just super ones.

My 2016 Build thread

TRD Exhaust with custom quad tips, TRD Lowering Springs,TRD Quick shifter,LED;DRL, Projectors, and turn signals. Re-badge, 86 Nanny, WinmaxW2 Pads, K&N Drop In, Antenna delete
stevesnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 09:43 PM   #23
Cole
Not a troll

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 5,399 Times in 2,694 Posts
Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevesnj View Post
Sure. However, welding a tiny strip of metal in the middle of an exhaust tip doesn't make it a quad exhaust.
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 09:44 PM   #24
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
hmmmm.......in my simple mind, I considered my 1970 MGB to have been a sports car; my 2006 Miata was a sports car; I call my 2013 FR-S a "sporty type car".

Life is simple for me ......

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (11-10-2017)
Old 11-09-2017, 10:16 PM   #25
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,513 Times in 18,917 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Old 11-09-2017, 10:20 PM   #26
Allch Chcar

Drives: N/A
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
Giants.gif
Why did you post a picture of Giants?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonitti View Post
Daily Driver, occasional weekend drifter.
Allch Chcar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Allch Chcar For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (11-09-2017)
Old 11-09-2017, 11:05 PM   #27
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
The 1970 Coronet R/t is a production car that with minimal modification can be used in motor sport. It is not a modified sedan it is a production car unto itself and by the very definition you provided it is 100% sports car. How does price over a base sedan come into play? By your definition are the STi or WRX sports cars or not? Are the base Corvettes sports cars but the top trims are not? Does an engine swapped Twin no longer qualify as a sports car since it is heavily modified? Does every single car that has a base level eliminate all levels above that since they are modified? Does this not rule out the BRZ limited and PP as sports cars?

The term "sports car" existed well before some dude write a book. He did not coin the term nor classify the cars but simply gave his own twist on the interpretation. It is not gospel and I actually see loads of holes in it. Becuase he states that they must be used in motors ports to quality that rules out most of what were considered the classic and true sports cars in history.

You used a Wiki article to counter may GT statement but then over rule my use since it does not agree with your stand. Either we rely on their definitions or we don't. We can not just use the ones we want and throw the rest away.
The idea behind minimally modified to be competitive in motorsports suggests that a purpose designed chassis requires fewer changes to actually work well in a competition. Your Coronet as lovely and fast as it is in RT form was not specifically designed with motorsports in mind whatsoever. Same goes with he WRX. True, initially roadsters fit these design goals best since why does a race car need a roof? Answer is that races occasionally take place in the rain (and also drivers like all over protection in a crash.) The definition of Sportcar grew to include coupes and reflect this reality.

I get that this definition doesn't fit everyone's concept. It is imperfect, and I as much stated that (as well as a few other points you still felt the need to attempt to argue for some reason.) Undoubtedly trying to define anything subjective will have holes. The idea is to be as true as possible to the concept. Motorsports car. Sportscar. That is the root of the term. The definition I prefer was conceived by a man who had a deep understanding motorsports, the automobile industry, car culture and language who was in the biz longer than most of us have lived. Not just "some guy who wrote a book." That kind of minimization attempt suggests you got kinda mad or something. Look man, you were disagree with on the internet. Your tone is your prerogative. But come on.

Last edited by DAEMANO; 11-09-2017 at 11:29 PM.
DAEMANO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 12:16 AM   #28
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (11-10-2017)