follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 03-07-2017, 08:05 PM   #57
renfield90
The Stig's German cousin

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatDaddysBBQ View Post
I know this is ancient, but trying to get hard info between the two : Yellow vs tarmac...

I'm all for the added spring rate (and matching with koni or bilstein), but not trying to lower the car any more than necessary (DD in 4 season climate, so less drop is more for me) -

I get SO much mixed info on these two - both often state 20mm drop, but plenty have said that the tarmac went lower than the yellow...

Is that due to yellows usually being used on OE shocks and the tarmac require upgrading or are people just wrong?

Thanks for the help on this old thread - just figured i was tired of people's anecdotal evidence, and i'd ask the source!
As always YMMV with drop springs. But from my personal experience, the technical information RCE provides is very accurate and reliable, so if they say both sets are the same drop I would go with that.

Source: I thoroughly dyno'd their shocks...
renfield90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to renfield90 For This Useful Post:
Racecomp Engineering (03-08-2017)
Old 03-08-2017, 11:23 AM   #58
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,241 Times in 2,962 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Quote:
I know this is ancient, but trying to get hard info between the two : Yellow vs tarmac...

I'm all for the added spring rate (and matching with koni or bilstein), but not trying to lower the car any more than necessary (DD in 4 season climate, so less drop is more for me) -

I get SO much mixed info on these two - both often state 20mm drop, but plenty have said that the tarmac went lower than the yellow...

Is that due to yellows usually being used on OE shocks and the tarmac require upgrading or are people just wrong?

Thanks for the help on this old thread - just figured i was tired of people's anecdotal evidence, and i'd ask the source!
Yeah the lowering is just about exactly the same between the two springs. Check out some of the pics in this thread for reference and there might be a few more pics floating around the forum to get a better idea.

- Andrew
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
CatDaddysBBQ (03-08-2017)
Old 03-08-2017, 12:43 PM   #59
CatDaddysBBQ

Drives: '13 FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Thanks Andrew. Always best to hear from the source.

My situation is that I want to lower the car as little as possible. It's my 17k mile a year DD that I do 7-10 autoX a year with maybe one HPDE on top of that. So while I want increased handling, it's got to be streetable in Chicagoland 4 seasons. I can handle stiffer ride as long as it's not crazy (owned a 2.25" dropped VW a while back and don't want to go there again). But ideally 1/2"-.8" drop is the desired outcome.

I have (not mounted due to winter) a sticky set of 235mm tires that I anticipate will cause the OEM suspension to be overwhelmed when autoXing and HPDE as well. The OEM setup has been fine up to now (ran 215mm Pilot Super Sports so far, but making a big jump this season).

I plan to wait until a first autoX (in about a month) to see what I think the car "needs", before I just drop money to buy tons of stuff.

My thoughts are:

If it's not TOO bad in terms of hitting bumpstops, etc but I want a bit less body roll, either RCE yellows on OEM shocks (and eventually upgrade those with Koni or B6)

or

Just buying Koni/B6 with either RCE yellow or tarmacs if the OEM is a bit worse than the first scenario.

I've dumped enough cash on the car this winter that I don't necessarily have the 1000-1200 to toss at it right now unless it REALLY needs both, which is why i've had to ignore my friend's recommendations of RCE t2's, lol. We'll see I guess.

One last question - let's say I went with yellows first, and then upgraded to b6 or konis... How much would I be "missing" with those shocks and yellows vs tarmacs? I can always sell the yellows and get both, but just curious how much there is between the two...
CatDaddysBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 08:13 AM   #60
makinen

Drives: Toyota 86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Just buying Koni/B6 with either RCE yellow or tarmacs if the OEM is a bit worse than the first scenario.
Hi,

I'm doing DD mainly and auto-x or track occasionally with Tarmac springs and Koni yellow since 2014. At the first time I've also experienced uncomfortable moments by lowered height. So I've ordered Subtle solutions spacers to reduce lowering. I've used 1/4" front and 3/8" rear and quite happy with them.

Name:  20170303_230723s.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  297.7 KB
makinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to makinen For This Useful Post:
CatDaddysBBQ (03-25-2017)
Old 03-25-2017, 11:40 AM   #61
CatDaddysBBQ

Drives: '13 FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Holy hell, that's a great backup plan. Never knew about these! Thanks.
CatDaddysBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote