follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 04-25-2016, 10:13 AM   #15
angadam

Drives: 14 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Just got back from the dealer. The "fix" they gave me was not to have the key inside the vehicle while filling up. I inquired how 200 miles and 3 ignition cycles later is when the light came on and the response was "well the tech said that is what causes it." I dont know if I need to find another dealer but I did not get a straight answer.
angadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 10:25 AM   #16
ZionsWrath
Thanks

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 3,100 Times in 1,498 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Is that in writing on your service writeup?

I have found in the past when taking car to a dealer. They say a whole bunch of bullshit but most of it isn't written on the service receipt you get back. And therefore means nothing.

What does your paperwork say? It should state the problem you reported when you dropped off the car and then their findings.
Old 04-25-2016, 01:10 PM   #17
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZionsWrath View Post
Is that in writing on your service writeup?

I have found in the past when taking car to a dealer. They say a whole bunch of bullshit but most of it isn't written on the service receipt you get back. And therefore means nothing.

What does your paperwork say? It should state the problem you reported when you dropped off the car and then their findings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by angadam View Post
Just got back from the dealer. The "fix" they gave me was not to have the key inside the vehicle while filling up. I inquired how 200 miles and 3 ignition cycles later is when the light came on and the response was "well the tech said that is what causes it." I dont know if I need to find another dealer but I did not get a straight answer.
@ZionsWrath is write, they almost always flood you with bullshit. I had to go to the dealer for a TCM reflash, next week got a communication error check engine light and the OBD-II connector had to be repinned. They asked if I drive it then turn it off alot like driving 10 minutes to work and said that effects the ecu, I've never done that and told them so and they were flustered. But on the receipt it said they replaced the OBD-II connector.
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 06:48 PM   #18
angadam

I was trying to explain to him that I have been a professional mechanic for 15 years now and that it is not the cause but there were 4 people in line behind me and I didn't want to cause a scene. Of course 40 miles later the light is back on. I will just have to request a more senior tech when I take it back to have them put the parts on the ordered today.
Attached Images

Old 04-26-2016, 03:08 AM   #19
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by angadam View Post
I was trying to explain to him that I have been a professional mechanic for 15 years now and that it is not the cause but there were 4 people in line behind me and I didn't want to cause a scene. Of course 40 miles later the light is back on. I will just have to request a more senior tech when I take it back to have them put the parts on the ordered today.

Go back speak to the service advisor and manager, that makes 0 sense and the tech is bullshitting you to get through to other cars where he can make more money. The same status with the mobilizer occurs when the key is near the car as well, hence why you can unlock the doors at a button push as you approach the vehicle (you already know this). It has 0 effect to the fuel system or evap system sensors or cars aren't like mercedes diesel cars that start glow plugs and prime the fuel system when the key fob is in range.
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 09:32 PM   #20
FT911

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited CBS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
I also have this issue, been a few months now.

I use 93 octane, that shouldn't be the issue right? lol
FT911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 08:06 PM   #21
angadam

Quick update, I went back to have the tail lights installed and wrote up a list of reasons why I think the fuel sender has an issue. Little things like running out of gas with 1/8 tank left, putting 4 gallons in and getting no response for 3 days on the gauge, and even letting them know that when I parked the car it is showing 1/4 tank but the live data in the computer shows 59.2% and it has the stored P0163. After almost 2 hours they tell me that the lights are installed but there are no codes stored....also that the window trim causing the glass to scratch was "damaged during shipment". As I'm about 15 miles from the dealer I run out of gas at 1/4 tank. At the end of the day I'm driving a 2016 Forrester just not the same but they now agree that maybe there is an issue. Best part was instead of telling me not to leave the key inside the vehicle while fueling up they told me to try not having the key with me. I'm not sure if they think everybody is completely stupid or just me but I have an addition the the dealer blacklist.
Old 05-30-2016, 02:49 PM   #22
toast

Drives: 14 BSP Edelbrock BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Mine has only done this once and it was this morning. Just before the low fuel light came on I took a nice hard sweeper into work. Shortly after the low fuel light came on and the check engine light. I'm assuming I just pushed gas over the hump into the other side of the tank, one sensor read high and the other read low so it threw the code.
toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 05:09 PM   #23
angadam

Hopefully thats it. They ended up replacing both level senders and now mine is good. Now I need to figure out how a "rock" got into my door to cause a bunch of streaks and vertical scratches on my drivers side window.
Old 03-01-2017, 02:09 PM   #24
Chazbo

Drives: 2020 Blue One
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
This just happened to me on a stock 2014 BRZ. I always run 93 octane and I usually let the gas light come on before filling normally. At lunch I saw the check engine light and got a shop to pull a code for me. I filled up the tank with 93 octane but the light is still on. Maybe I should disconnect the battery and see if the code comes back?
Chazbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 08:49 PM   #25
guybo
Huge E85 fan!

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS
Thanked 1,010 Times in 605 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
No one should let their car get so low in fuel that the low fuel light comes on. When the fuel gets that low it is bad for the fuel pump and sending unit. IMHO you guys are causing the damage to the part.

The fuel cools and lubricates the fuel pump
guybo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to guybo For This Useful Post:
ATL BRZ (10-09-2017)
Old 05-02-2017, 07:51 PM   #26
unsurety
aeiou

Drives: WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by guybo View Post
No one should let their car get so low in fuel that the low fuel light comes on. When the fuel gets that low it is bad for the fuel pump and sending unit. IMHO you guys are causing the damage to the part.

The fuel cools and lubricates the fuel pump
Very true.

It just sucks when you're running E85. What about the boosted people? I can get ~180 miles out of 3/4 tank at the most, normally less as my commute is all city.

Had this code pop up, and I do have a tendency to let it run down past 1/4 tank sort of often. But when the CEL P0463 popped up, I had roughly 1/3 tank left... ?
For that price anyone could get a c6z and have money for a simple heads cam package and make a bunch more power and have a superior handling car. This seems overpriced to say the least. "Have it your way" is basically offering someone a massive dildo to shove up their ass BUT they have the option of choosing the method in which it is inserted....
unsurety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 08:26 AM   #27
guybo
Huge E85 fan!

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS
Thanked 1,010 Times in 605 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
I'm a AAA guy and sometimes when people have trouble starting their car because of a fuel pump issue, I hit the bottom of the fuel tank with a hammer (not very hard- you don't want to dent it) and it gets them going. It sounds a little whacky but it may (maybe?) help- try it with the P0463 and give it a couple drive cycles to turn off. It's a free thing to try, you never know.

guybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 01:25 AM   #28
coldstart

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Same thing happened to me, same code. Driving hard one day, home, parked overnight, commute to work in the morning, gas light comes on, CEL comes on with same code. BTW, I have slight scratches on my driver side window as well and it looks like the track or 'grabber' inside the door is making them.. 2013 FRS, 38k miles.

Header & Tune
coldstart is offline   Reply With Quote