follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 12-22-2015, 06:37 PM   #1
gatorac
Chin Track Event Manager

Drives: 15 Series Blue
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Sebring Night video with data overlay

I thought this video turned out pretty cool. Driving laps at night adds another dimension to the experience. I highly recommend it. This was at a Chin Motorsports event a couple of weeks ago.

[ame]http://youtu.be/HES6KiAUdAM[/ame]
09 Comp Yellow NC
20 Gladiator tow vehicle.

Last edited by gatorac; 12-24-2015 at 06:46 AM. Reason: Got the vide embedded
gatorac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gatorac For This Useful Post:
johhnc479 (12-23-2015)
Old 12-23-2015, 09:54 AM   #2
SeanRTR
C-Street AutoX

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Looks like a pretty awesome time. I'm quite jealous.
Old 12-23-2015, 10:27 AM   #3
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorac View Post
I thought this video turned out pretty cool. Driving laps at night adds another dimension to the experience. I highly recommend it. This was at a Chin Motorsports event a couple of weeks ago.

Well, it looks like I still haven't figured out how to embed the video. I thought I found instructions but no.

Looks fun! I was thinking about trying a few night events this year. What are your thoughts on day vs. night trackdays?

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 01:40 PM   #4
IPGJames
Banned

Drives: ...Cars...
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
That looks awesome...gotta give that a shot next time the opportunity is available.

-- in regards to embedding the video...take the S off the HTTPS and it should work for you, that has caught me a couple of times too

Last edited by IPGJames; 12-28-2015 at 12:21 PM.
IPGJames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to IPGJames For This Useful Post:
gatorac (12-24-2015)
Old 12-24-2015, 07:05 AM   #5
gatorac
Chin Track Event Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
Looks fun! I was thinking about trying a few night events this year. What are your thoughts on day vs. night trackdays?
I think a night event is something great to experience once in awhile I don't think I would recommend it for a novice driver. There's too much to focus on during the day for the novice and adding the limited visibility and changing light conditions would only serve to overwhelm a new driver.

For the experienced driver, adding in those added dimensions creates a new challenge on a familiar track. For example, the track out of turn one is dark and the way the lights shine, you can't really see anything. You have to rely on other senses and experience to have confidence there. When your long range vision is limited, you start to see how much information your picking up from your peripheral vision. It's really interesting. As an experienced driver with a BRZ in the land of 911's and Corvettes, the night gives me another advantage on those cars. They tend to capitulate much quicker when my headlights come flying up on them in a dark corner.
09 Comp Yellow NC
Old 12-24-2015, 08:35 AM   #6
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorac View Post
I think a night event is something great to experience once in awhile I don't think I would recommend it for a novice driver. There's too much to focus on during the day for the novice and adding the limited visibility and changing light conditions would only serve to overwhelm a new driver.

For the experienced driver, adding in those added dimensions creates a new challenge on a familiar track. For example, the track out of turn one is dark and the way the lights shine, you can't really see anything. You have to rely on other senses and experience to have confidence there. When your long range vision is limited, you start to see how much information your picking up from your peripheral vision. It's really interesting. As an experienced driver with a BRZ in the land of 911's and Corvettes, the night gives me another advantage on those cars. They tend to capitulate much quicker when my headlights come flying up on them in a dark corner.
Haha I like that. I'll probably try some night events at VIR this year. How are your laptimes in night vs. day?

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 01:38 PM   #7
gatorac
Chin Track Event Manager

if you can hit the sweet spot when the sun first goes down, the air is cool and the track is still warm, you can get some good times. You do have to know your way around the track your on though. The difference in how everything looks can quickly take back and advantages that air and track temp give.

It really is a fun challenge.
09 Comp Yellow NC
The Following User Says Thank You to gatorac For This Useful Post:
DarkSunrise (12-24-2015)