follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 05-22-2017, 07:53 PM   #1
xenex

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S Monogram Series
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Installed Valenti tail lights, now I hear water dripping?

I recently installed a set of Valenti tail lights and I didn't want to have to deal with the condensation issue or the water inside the tail light issue a lot of people have been having. So I used weatherproof adhesive to attach the gasket to the tail light backing and used weatherproof tape to seal the gaps on top of the tail light (instructions from GasketNinja).

I went to test whether everything was working okay and properly sealed... and I'm hearing a water dripping sound inside of the rear bumper possibly? Has anyone else experienced this? Is this a normal occurrence? Haven't really noticed it before when I had OEM tail lights.

Pictures of the setup: http://imgur.com/a/8UZVc
Video of the dripping sound: [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_PQSSPEitY"]2014 Scion FR-S with Valenti tail lights water leak? - YouTube[/ame]

I tried to get the phone as close as possible to allow the sound to be recorded. This happens on both sides of the tail lights as a note.
xenex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 07:15 PM   #2
RickyBobby

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S AT
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
If you torque the nuts down to 39 in lbs you don't need any adhesive. I've had my Valentis on for almost a year. After numerous washings and heavy rain no leaks or condensation.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...ostcount=14623
RickyBobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 10:39 PM   #3
xenex

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S Monogram Series
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyBobby View Post
If you torque the nuts down to 39 in lbs you don't need any adhesive. I've had my Valentis on for almost a year. After numerous washings and heavy rain no leaks or condensation.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...ostcount=14623
I'll have to buy a torque wrench and give it a try then, thanks for the info!
xenex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 12:42 PM   #4
NyC Zn6

Drives: 10 Series #974 6m/t
Thanked 1,141 Times in 669 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenex View Post
I recently installed a set of Valenti tail lights and I didn't want to have to deal with the condensation issue or the water inside the tail light issue a lot of people have been having. So I used weatherproof adhesive to attach the gasket to the tail light backing and used weatherproof tape to seal the gaps on top of the tail light (instructions from GasketNinja).

I went to test whether everything was working okay and properly sealed... and I'm hearing a water dripping sound inside of the rear bumper possibly? Has anyone else experienced this? Is this a normal occurrence? Haven't really noticed it before when I had OEM tail lights.

Pictures of the setup: http://imgur.com/a/8UZVc
Video of the dripping sound:

I tried to get the phone as close as possible to allow the sound to be recorded. This happens on both sides of the tail lights as a note.
What you are hearing is water dripping inside the car and building up. The black piece on the top of the taillight must be flush to guide water out. To access where the water is collecting remove the trunk panels on the left and right sides. Put your hand by the lower quarter panels with a cloth to collect the water if it hasn't evaporated.
NyC Zn6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 03:50 PM   #5
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Drives: Artisan Spirits '17 86
Thanked 1,674 Times in 994 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
I'll piggyback onto this thread. Does anyone know if you're supposed to disconnect the battery when installing aftermarket lights? I'm leaning towards no?
StraightOuttaCanadaEh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 04:04 PM   #6
Vital

Drives: 2015 BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanadaEh View Post
I'll piggyback onto this thread. Does anyone know if you're supposed to disconnect the battery when installing aftermarket lights? I'm leaning towards no?
Not necessary, i did mine without disconnecting battery and its been working great no issues
Vital is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vital For This Useful Post:
StraightOuttaCanadaEh (06-06-2017)