follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 09-27-2017, 10:33 AM   #491
86Craze

Drives: 2016 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I've had mine on for about a month and change now. I enjoy the ride. I am 1.5 inch lower all around and have the dampeners set at 4 clicks from the stiffest. I think the ride can be even stiffer, 4 clicks is still a bit soft. I think that 6 clicks is about where the stock suspension felt. Our roads in south Florida are very nice, not concerned with pot holes. I did however manage to scrape my UL turbo manifold several times already, it hands about an inch an a half below the belly pan. So far I am satisfied with these coilovers, no noises or creaks. Next test is autocross, hopefully mid October.
86Craze is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 86Craze For This Useful Post:
brybot (09-24-2018)
Old 09-28-2017, 09:35 AM   #492
fl4t ftw

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ, 2016 FiST
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndlessAzure View Post
That should be okay. I don't recommend unloading the spring more than necessary. If you do, just be extra cautious when you approach moderate bumps.

It happened to me accidentally on my Tein Flex A's, and I started bottoming out way more than normal. Luckily I checked and fixed the preload quickly. See here
I read that over. Thanks for the info.

One last question: it was impossible for me to grab the spring and twist to lower it. I had to grab the threads with my hand and do it from under the spring. Preload was nice and snug. It was like something up top wasn’t letting it spin. Once again, I had no issues with the front or the Feal coils I had on my WRX. Thoughts?

Thinking about it now, this probably jacked up my preload. Been busy but I’ll see if I can mess with the preload tonight.

Last edited by fl4t ftw; 09-28-2017 at 10:57 AM.
fl4t ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 12:24 PM   #493
EndlessAzure
Wheels for Brains

Drives: '14 FR-S [37J] | Daily/Track
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fl4t ftw View Post
I read that over. Thanks for the info.

One last question: it was impossible for me to grab the spring and twist to lower it. I had to grab the threads with my hand and do it from under the spring. Preload was nice and snug. It was like something up top wasn’t letting it spin. Once again, I had no issues with the front or the Feal coils I had on my WRX. Thoughts?

Thinking about it now, this probably jacked up my preload. Been busy but I’ll see if I can mess with the preload tonight.
Maybe your bracket lock was a little too snug. In the end, I don't think it matters where you grip to spin the cylinder as long as the spring seat and lock aren't moving.

If you're worried about preload, take a pair of calipers and measure the distance from the top of the cylinder to the bottom of the spring lock. The factory reference dimensions should be available in the manual.
EndlessAzure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 07:29 AM   #494
fl4t ftw

Tein Flex Z opinion

Updating for anyone needing this information: lowering the rear preload will allow you to drop the rear just to the point where the tires basically sit flush in the fender (I have 255/35/18’s), maybe a tiny bit of tuck. I’m happy with my results and this is the perfect height IMO.

Sorry the pics kinda suck.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fl4t ftw For This Useful Post:
brybot (09-24-2018), carsebuco (10-01-2017)
Old 10-04-2017, 02:56 PM   #495
zc06_kisstherain

Drives: SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Updating for anyone needing this information: lowering the rear preload will allow you to drop the rear just to the point where the tires basically sit flush in the fender (I have 255/35/18’s), maybe a tiny bit of tuck. I’m happy with my results and this is the perfect height IMO.

Sorry the pics kinda suck.
nice. how much did you lower? i ordered my 255/35 tires for RPF1
i lowered default so i am wondering. no rubbing?
zc06_kisstherain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 02:58 PM   #496
fl4t ftw

Tein Flex Z opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by zc06_kisstherain View Post
nice. how much did you lower? i ordered my 255/35 tires for RPF1

i lowered default so i am wondering. no rubbing?
I didn’t measure it, just kinda winged it. I’ll make final adjustments soon. I haven’t rubbed yet but I only drove it a couple miles and need an alignment. Ride quality is surprisingly really good at 4 clicks from hard... at least compared to my FiST lol.
Old 10-04-2017, 03:31 PM   #497
zc06_kisstherain

Garage
Quote:
I didn’t measure it, just kinda winged it. I’ll make final adjustments soon. I haven’t rubbed yet but I only drove it a couple miles and need an alignment. Ride quality is surprisingly really good at 4 clicks from hard... at least compared to my FiST lol.
i am on 3 clicks. when weather gets colder, it will squeak little
Old 10-10-2017, 09:34 PM   #498
zc06_kisstherain

Garage
Quote:
when you have alignment let me know.
i just found my driver side rear is rubbing at fender. only happens at dips on highway though
i have -1.4 driver side and -1.5 at passenger and i dont see any rubbing at passenger side though.
0.06, 0.05 toes

I probably need to have more negative camber like -1.7 ~ -2.0 to be safe.

EDIT: I found Passenger side has light rubbing mark as well. i probably go with -2 on all around to be safe

Last edited by zc06_kisstherain; 10-11-2017 at 04:38 PM.
Old 12-26-2017, 10:07 AM   #499
fl4t ftw

Quote:
Originally Posted by zc06_kisstherain View Post
when you have alignment let me know.
i just found my driver side rear is rubbing at fender. only happens at dips on highway though
i have -1.4 driver side and -1.5 at passenger and i dont see any rubbing at passenger side though.
0.06, 0.05 toes

I probably need to have more negative camber like -1.7 ~ -2.0 to be safe.

EDIT: I found Passenger side has light rubbing mark as well. i probably go with -2 on all around to be safe
I ended up with -2.0 up front and -1.5 in the rear. I am going to need toe arms though because they couldn't zero out the toe with the stock bolts in the rear, according to the shop. Also, after the camber and everything was fixed, there is still about a 1.5 finger gap in the rear. I'm pretty sure I'm at max low, both in the perch and with minimum preload.

I'm going the check the preload again when it gets warmer (no garage ATM) but I'm not happy about false advertising. Again, I'm nowhere near 3" lower in the rear. Also seeing many other random posts and threads pop up about this issue with the Flex Z.
Old 12-26-2017, 08:21 PM   #500
zc06_kisstherain

Garage
Quote:
I ended up with -2.0 up front and -1.5 in the rear. I am going to need toe arms though because they couldn't zero out the toe with the stock bolts in the rear, according to the shop. Also, after the camber and everything was fixed, there is still about a 1.5 finger gap in the rear. I'm pretty sure I'm at max low, both in the perch and with minimum preload.

I'm going the check the preload again when it gets warmer (no garage ATM) but I'm not happy about false advertising. Again, I'm nowhere near 3" lower in the rear. Also seeing many other random posts and threads pop up about this issue with the Flex Z.
I rolled fender and it rarely touches now.
didnt touch with -1.5 at rear.
hope this helps