follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 03-04-2015, 01:40 PM   #127
killboy

Drives: 1FRS, 1 BRZ, 2S2000s, Evo8, Dak.R/T
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
It is our understanding from talking to the Cosworth reps that this unit is under-driven to about half of it's mechanical capacity to keep it safe for a stock setup...Cosworth tested for something like 50,000 miles to ensure reliability and I respect that. I think a lot of people comparing this to other FI setups are missing the point of "area under the curve" usable power as opposed to peak HP and they're overlooking the reliability aspect as well.

That said, has anyone upgraded engine internals and swapped out the pulley to overdrive the S/C unit? All it should take is forged pistons, rods, clutch upgrade and you should be able to push 400hp or more from this thing theoretically.
Old 03-04-2015, 03:45 PM   #128
350matt

Drives: toyota mr2/ Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I don't think the kit has been out long enough for that to happen, I look forward to it though

think you might need some bigger injectors and better fuel pump too on that list...
350matt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 350matt For This Useful Post:
killboy (03-04-2015)
Old 03-04-2015, 04:05 PM   #129
Freeman

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
I'd love to see someone max out this blower. Ive seen people saying "cosworth said 380 crank hp", but nothing to back it up.
Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Freeman For This Useful Post:
killboy (03-04-2015)
Old 03-04-2015, 04:51 PM   #130
killboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350matt View Post
I don't think the kit has been out long enough for that to happen, I look forward to it though

think you might need some bigger injectors and better fuel pump too on that list...
That is our plan with the kit, but it will be later in the year.

I thought about the injector/pump thing, but with the 8 injector setup we have, my tuner thinks they may not need upgrading unless you're pushing over 400hp or so. We will be careful to watch that though, or see what other people have done if someone else pushes it up there before we do. He really digs the Direct+Port Injection...says it opens up some nice tuning potential.
Old 03-04-2015, 05:13 PM   #131
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,586 Times in 2,928 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeman View Post
I'd love to see someone max out this blower. Ive seen people saying "cosworth said 380 crank hp", but nothing to back it up.
We'd have to wait till the Cosworth Stage 3 comes out. I have a feeling that will be internals and the such.
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to weederr33 For This Useful Post:
Freeman (03-04-2015)
Old 03-04-2015, 07:47 PM   #132
killboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by weederr33 View Post
We'd have to wait till the Cosworth Stage 3 comes out. I have a feeling that will be internals and the such.
I wouldn't say *We'd* have to wait. You might.
Old 03-04-2015, 08:05 PM   #133
Uplink

Drives: anything you let me
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie L View Post
The exhaust sounds glorious....A bit to loud for city or dense suburban housing tracks I would imagine. Nothing but trees around me so ....
This is something I was curious about. While the exhaust sounds absolutely amazing if you were using it on a track or at AX, it's a little over the top for a residential DD (especially if you have to warm the car up at 7am for work). From what I gather, it's an uncatted header plus a full 3" from the OP back.
Personally, for DD I love the sound of the HKS MP back Spec L. Unfortunately that's only a 2 1/2".

Cosworth says the full 2.3 kit should make 280hp. I wonder if there's a significant loss using a 2.5" exhaust or if the 3" is overengineered to flow for their eventual v3.x kit with the claimed 380hp. If the later is the case, then there shouldn't be much, if any loss using the HKS system. In fact, maybe even a small boost in torque with the slightly smaller pathway. Cake+eating it too, ya know?
Uplink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 08:56 PM   #134
Ernie L

Drives: 2014 BRZ black premium
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplink View Post
This is something I was curious about. While the exhaust sounds absolutely amazing if you were using it on a track or at AX, it's a little over the top for a residential DD (especially if you have to warm the car up at 7am for work). From what I gather, it's an uncatted header plus a full 3" from the OP back.
Personally, for DD I love the sound of the HKS MP back Spec L. Unfortunately that's only a 2 1/2".

Cosworth says the full 2.3 kit should make 280hp. I wonder if there's a significant loss using a 2.5" exhaust or if the 3" is overengineered to flow for their eventual v3.x kit with the claimed 380hp. If the later is the case, then there shouldn't be much, if any loss using the HKS system. In fact, maybe even a small boost in torque with the slightly smaller pathway. Cake+eating it too, ya know?
I was thinking the same thing about the reason for the 3 inch.
..I have decided today to search for another some what more street friendlier axle/cat back.

Once I put the cosworth header on it became unusable as a DD..... but damn it sounds good !!!!! it was fun for a couple of days

...2.5 inch would seem more than adequate. As an experiment today I slapped the stock muffler back on...not good..not good at all...sounds like ass when accelerating....almost like its tearing itself apart...maybe a q300

Last edited by Ernie L; 03-05-2015 at 03:46 PM.
Ernie L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 09:19 PM   #135
Uplink

Drives: anything you let me
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
..I have deceived today to search for another some what more street friendlier axle/cat back.

Once I put the cosworth header on it became unusable as a DD..... but damn it sounds good !!!!! it was fun for a couple of days

...2.5 inch would seem more than adequate. As an experiment today I slapped the stock muffler back on...not good..not good at all...sounds like ass when accelerating....almost like its tearing itself apart...maybe a q300
In most cases, it seems the header is the 'breaking point' for the exhaust note. [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdVCUKEqFLw"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdVCUKEqFLw[/ame] The catback starts at about :30. After that they install the header (still with factory mid-pipe) and the sound immediately got raspy.

Have you tried using your factory header with the Cosworth/Nameless OP back? That might be a decent sound without too much restriction in flow. Another option is going with a catted header. Bump up the flow while dulling some of the rasp.

As far as overall flow and power, if it's an apples to apples comparison, we might be able to deduce from the other FI kit dynos out there what size exhaust can support what power levels.
Uplink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 10:21 PM   #136
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,586 Times in 2,928 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
..I have deceived today to search for another some what more street friendlier axle/cat back.

I've got a Q300. You'd like it. Keeps things quiet, yet can sound aggressive too!
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to weederr33 For This Useful Post:
Ernie L (03-04-2015), mkivalex (03-31-2015)
Old 03-05-2015, 04:56 AM   #137
ajc209

Drives: GT86 Cosworth
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by killboydotcom View Post
It is our understanding from talking to the Cosworth reps that this unit is under-driven to about half of it's mechanical capacity to keep it safe for a stock setup...Cosworth tested for something like 50,000 miles to ensure reliability and I respect that. I think a lot of people comparing this to other FI setups are missing the point of "area under the curve" usable power as opposed to peak HP and they're overlooking the reliability aspect as well.

That said, has anyone upgraded engine internals and swapped out the pulley to overdrive the S/C unit? All it should take is forged pistons, rods, clutch upgrade and you should be able to push 400hp or more from this thing theoretically.
No wanting to hijack the thread but just my 0.02 cents:

Cosworth confirmed to me they did 1000 nurburgring simulation miles on the engine dyno and 10,000 miles of the road testing as part of their "validation" on the stage 2 package.

The stock injectors are not good for much more than 330HP crank.

Inorder to make the Supercharger spin faster they need to fit a smaller pulley, but to do that reliably you WILL need a thicker drive belt and pulleys to avoid slipping.

I believe cosworth plan to bring out a bottom end for stage 3. They confirmed that the first stage 3 will be ~330HP.

I imagine it will go like this:

Stage 3.1 : bottom end + oiling mods (Oil pressure is low on these cars) + new pulleys and belt + tune ~330HP

Stage 3.2 : all of the above + injectors + Fuel pumb + tune ~380HP

Nice convienient 50HP jumps in power.
ajc209 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ajc209 For This Useful Post:
killboy (03-05-2015)
Old 03-05-2015, 06:03 AM   #138
350matt

Drives: toyota mr2/ Toyota GT86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplink View Post
In most cases, it seems the header is the 'breaking point' for the exhaust note.
The catback starts at about :30. After that they install the header (still with factory mid-pipe) and the sound immediately got raspy.

Have you tried using your factory header with the Cosworth/Nameless OP back? That might be a decent sound without too much restriction in flow. Another option is going with a catted header. Bump up the flow while dulling some of the rasp.

As far as overall flow and power, if it's an apples to apples comparison, we might be able to deduce from the other FI kit dynos out there what size exhaust can support what power levels.
I'd be careful of just mixing and matching exhaust parts, when I last spoke to Cosworth about this kit, they confirmed that they do a 2.1 spec tune to suit running with the stock header and the catback but this costs about 10-12Bhp

So I'd imagine that they've had to pull some spark out to cope with the increased back pressure of the stock header and over pipe

that said this would probably mean you could run any cat-back you wanted with this 2.1 tune
350matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 07:45 AM   #139
TheRoadWarrior
Much damage?

Drives: Renaultsport Clio200
Good info here: http://www.cosworth.com/products/pow...package-range/

and this shows the effect the header is having. It's a solid mid-range boost, +50nm at 4000rpm from the header will definitely be noticeable, just a shame it seems a little loud with it fitted.

edit: the header (+tune) is the only difference for stage 1.3.

If you're running the supercharger, catback and mid pipe but not the header (i.e. stage 1.2 + superchager) do they have a tune for that I wonder?

Last edited by TheRoadWarrior; 03-05-2015 at 07:47 AM. Reason: more info!
TheRoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 02:24 PM   #140
kuczynskika

Drives: Harrop TVS86 STi BRZ tS
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Garage
I would be interested in a 1.2 + supercharger tune. I'm currently running just the stage 0.1 catback and that alone is almost too loud for daily driving and freeway cruising at 70mph and 3100ish rpms. Kinda lukewarm about going all the way up to the stage 1.3 header. Hands down best sounding exhaust out there tho! Turns heads on the street.
kuczynskika is offline   Reply With Quote