follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 06-01-2013, 12:42 PM   #15
FRS_Sovereign
Manual Noob

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S MT Asphalt
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
It's done

Hey, it worked perfectly. Thanks for all the help.
FRS_Sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FRS_Sovereign For This Useful Post:
Cameronghanson (06-04-2013)
Old 06-02-2013, 02:34 AM   #16
joergasm

Drives: Subaru BRZ 2013 - SWP 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRS_Sovereign View Post
Hey, it worked perfectly. Thanks for all the help.
Show pics!

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2
Old 06-02-2013, 03:00 AM   #17
stockysnail
Just the tip

Drives: 2013 Lightning Red Subaru BRZ Mt Lt
Thanked 1,004 Times in 665 Posts
Mentioned: 176 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
The easiest place to tap into is the accessory 12v (lighter plug) in the glove box. All you need to do is take the glove box off (super easy), take the 12v off and you'll see the place to put your wires (with ends that will fit which for me were the red plastic with small flat metal ends). They will turn on with the car. The hard part is getting them to stick to the plastic underside in the footwell or where ever you put them.
stockysnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 01:11 PM   #18
FRS_Sovereign
Manual Noob

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by joergasm View Post
Show pics!

The way I did it or the turn out?
Old 06-02-2013, 04:38 PM   #19
joergasm

Quote:
The way I did it or the turn out?
Both :S lol

Old 06-02-2013, 09:16 PM   #20
FRS_Sovereign
Manual Noob

Garage
Quote:
Both :S lol

So, first off I'm not good with electricity that should be understood. Ok So I bought some LED's from AutoZone ($20) and some electrical tape.

1. The first picture shows the LEDs under the dash with the wire going towards the center.

2. The second, is the side panel removed with the wires showing.

3. The third is the gear shift bezel removed showing the wires.
The wire harness attached to the buttons was removed. I took some insulation of of the purple wire then attached my power wire from the LED's and wrapped each in electric tape. pics 4 and 5 are close ups of the harness.

4. The sixth picture shows how they were grounded to two screws under the bezel.

5. The seventh picture is the side panel in its proper place.

6. Final Result.

Let me know how you like it because I love it. They only turn on if the headlight switch has been engaged. Also sorry about the quality of the photos done with my phone.

Hope this helps.
Attached Images

Old 06-04-2013, 10:39 AM   #21
Derik210
That Army Guy

Drives: Firestorm FR-S MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
i just crossed wired mine to the radio wire. took me like 30 mins and i was a little buzzed lol :happy0180:

Derik210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 02:19 PM   #22
Cameronghanson

Drives: n/a
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
So, first off I'm not good with electricity that should be understood. Ok So I bought some LED's from AutoZone ($20) and some electrical tape.

1. The first picture shows the LEDs under the dash with the wire going towards the center.

The wire harness attached to the buttons was removed. I took some insulation of of the purple wire then attached my power wire from the LED's and wrapped each in electric tape. pics 4 and 5 are close ups of the harness.

4. The sixth picture shows how they were grounded to two screws under the bezel.

6. Final Result.

Let me know how you like it because I love it. They only turn on if the headlight switch has been engaged. Also sorry about the quality of the photos done with my phone.

Hope this helps.
haha that looks exactly like my set up. same wiring, LED strips and everything. Looks great!
Cameronghanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 01:56 AM   #23
joergasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameronghanson View Post
I can try!

1. Place lights where they can't be seen (obv) and make sure the wires on the drivers side and the passenger side are facing each other (facing the center) --||-- (sorry I know that's crude but that's basically it, if you need pics I can grab some)
2. Pull off the bezel surrounding the shift knob and unplug the bundle of cables attached to the traction control sport mode module. Strip the black tape off the wires and I believe the small purple wire is the lighting one but you can use a volt meter to test that.
3. There is a screw that holds down the shift unit to the body of the car. This is a good ground. Attach your ground wire to this.
4. Splice in your led lights to the purple wire and wrap it up.
5. Tuck the light wire underneath the side of the main center area with the shifter and all that and the wire should be all hidden.
6. Put the bezel back on and you should be good to go!

Sorry this was all done at work on my phone lol it may be a little simplistic. If you need further details or pics I can probably grab you some. The final product is in that forum above
Quote:

6. Final Result.

Hope this helps.
You both said you tapped into the purple traction control. But one says it turns on with headlights, the other says interior lights. Just want to clarify that.
Also how exactly do you take off the side panels and shifter bezel?

Thanks
Old 06-19-2013, 05:46 PM   #24
Cameronghanson

Quote:
You both said you tapped into the purple traction control. But one says it turns on with headlights, the other says interior lights. Just want to clarify that.
Also how exactly do you take off the side panels and shifter bezel?

Thanks
it turns on with the normal interior lights. aka when the traction control light comes on, the interior lights will go on. So techinically it will go on with the headlights but also with the DRLs and basically anytime the interior lights are lit if you do indeed tap in to the purple traction control.
As for taking off the bezel, pretty much just force. Its a few clips that hold it in so if you apply pressure equally to the whole unit, it should just come right off.

Hope that helps!
The Following User Says Thank You to Cameronghanson For This Useful Post:
joergasm (06-21-2013)
Old 07-26-2013, 12:14 AM   #25
Minovsky

Drives: Fr-s 2013 white out
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameronghanson View Post
it turns on with the normal interior lights. aka when the traction control light comes on, the interior lights will go on. So techinically it will go on with the headlights but also with the DRLs and basically anytime the interior lights are lit if you do indeed tap in to the purple traction control.
As for taking off the bezel, pretty much just force. Its a few clips that hold it in so if you apply pressure equally to the whole unit, it should just come right off.

Hope that helps!
Do these come on when you open the doors? Just wondering i might do these but i have an extra led center console plaque from DCW. Im just wondering if i can also tap it all to that purple wire? so then i'll basically have 3 Led outputs then O.o
Old 07-26-2013, 06:27 PM   #26
Cameronghanson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeydew View Post
Do these come on when you open the doors? Just wondering i might do these but i have an extra led center console plaque from DCW. Im just wondering if i can also tap it all to that purple wire? so then i'll basically have 3 Led outputs then O.o
These come on with like the gauge lights and stuff. So if they are on, they will always be on regardless of the doors. Thats what tapping the purple wire will do. You may be able to tape into the door lights or something to make it go one with the interior lights that come on with the door opening
The Following User Says Thank You to Cameronghanson For This Useful Post:
Minovsky (07-27-2013)