follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 05-30-2014, 05:05 AM   #15
BC-Boy

Drives: 2013 Brz sport-tech
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket.BRZ View Post
I believe we have a thread similar to this already.

Issues
_____

Lack of power
Terrible tires
Not always practical but does that job
Spent a lot of money to make the car the way I wanted to perform.
Oh and that terrible terrible terrible god forsaken gearbox.

The good
________

Best new car for the price
Looks like a million bucks
Awesome chassis
Great seats
Very good stock steering feel and suspension
Fun to drive.
out of the box its more for the average commuter who isnt in need of any performance. but modded its quite nice, im with you on that this car is either ment either for someone who want a cool little car thats different, or good car to personalise. but it needs work to be considered sporty in my book. Dude for the tranny, put some hi quality oil in there, mtec springs, perrin tranny mount insert and shifter bushing. your in buisness it shifts very very smoothly, also loose that big cheap shift knob i put a heiver all metal knob from perrin, absolutly great !
BC-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 05:22 AM   #16
brianhj

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortis View Post
Ten years ago, a base model Boxster retailed for $43K and had 225 bhp. Fast forward to 2014 and ppl want to complain about a $25K FR-S/BRZ with 200 bhp having "a lack of power." I've said it before and I'll say it again: what more do you expect to get from a $25K car??

At least as much power as a $23k Mustang

(playing devil's advocate here)
brianhj is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to brianhj For This Useful Post:
WolfpackS2k (06-27-2014)
Old 05-30-2014, 05:27 AM   #17
Fortis

Drives: 2014 FR-S AT Asphalt
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianhj View Post
At least as much power as a $23k Mustang

(playing devil's advocate here)
Comparing a Twin to a newer Mustang is comparing apples to oranges. Comparing a Twin to a Boxster is comparing apples to apples. If the Twins had ~300 bhp they would cost a hell of a lot more than $25K. at that point it defeats the entire purpose of these cars.
Fortis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fortis For This Useful Post:
brianhj (05-30-2014)
Old 05-30-2014, 05:27 AM   #18
BC-Boy

Garage
10 years is a long time, we went from 10w30 oil to 0w20, 25mpg to 40, and a subaru to a toyota , times have changed its not the same car, I wish it was :/ and its cheaper to make rwd only than a awd i must say. dam 10yrs ago i was playing grand theft auto vice city while smoking bong tokes in my room and going to school, now i have to work and plan ahead
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BC-Boy For This Useful Post:
86kahl (11-29-2015), Abraxus (08-28-2015), sweetfrs (07-21-2014)
Old 05-30-2014, 05:31 AM   #19
brianhj

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortis View Post
Comparing a Twin to a newer Mustang is comparing apples to oranges. Comparing a Twin to a Boxster is comparing apples to apples. If the Twins had ~300 bhp they would cost a hell of a lot more than $25K. at that point it defeats the entire purpose of these cars.

I'm comparing two sports cars and the power each produces as compared to their price tag only. (Since that's what the person I replied to was doing)
brianhj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 05:34 AM   #20
BC-Boy

Garage
mustangs are actually allright i just about pulled the plug on the boss 302, but then thought it tru... mpgs, initial payments, tickets, and then bought this. it was either this , a sti ,or the boss 302, i like this car i think i made the right choice, one thing about fast cars, they are a hell of alot of fun but you better be responsible and use that power with moderation or else tickets will find a place in your glove box time after time,
Old 05-30-2014, 07:17 AM   #21
Davey

Drives: BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianhj View Post
I'm comparing two sports cars and the power each produces as compared to their price tag only. (Since that's what the person I replied to was doing)
Well, if the most HP for your dollar is your goal, the answer is always Mustang, and of course the V8. But I have owned many more powerful cars than the FR-S/BRZ and could not say there was anything close to the driving enjoyment I get from this car that came simply from more horsepower.

It's very easy to sit at your computer and compare power to weight and cost in 19XX dollars and all that and start telling yourself what a terrible deal the twins are vs. a Mustang or what a great deal they are vs. brand-new Cayman S, but if you drive the car, is it fun to drive?

You look at the specs and say "Oh, over 6 seconds zero to 60, 15 second quarter miles, how can that be any fun? The V6 Mustang is faster for the same price and the Nissan Z is only a couple thousand more..." yet if you actually drive all three cars (or even the V8 Mustang that costs a few thousand more) you will quickly find that the FR-S/BRZ is way more fun to drive.

On the other hand if you street race or measure your worth by how fast your car is, then you're pretty lame and some kid with his mom's V6 Accord is cooler than you.
Davey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Davey For This Useful Post:
bedabi (05-30-2014), Fortis (05-30-2014), Pseud0logik (05-30-2014), SirBrass (05-06-2015), unsurety (06-02-2014), VMRamos (11-04-2015)
Old 05-30-2014, 07:45 AM   #22
BoxRZ_86

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited SWP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
its funny you ask this. cause I had a AE86 and I truly regret selling it. to make up for it years later I traded in my TSX for the modern day 86, my BRZ. the part that is funny is my fiancé recently asked me which would I pick. my BRZ or 86. I asked stock for stock or fully modded. she said stock. I thought about it and I said BRZ. then she went ahead and asked me both fully modded to my liking.... I said BRZ again. lol I would gladly buy a 86 to work on and rebuild along side my BRZ but if you made me choose one or the other. I love my BRZ overall more. it is everything my 86 is in feel. but in stock form it is everything performance wise I had wished my 86 was. I hope that helps you somewhat. also I was originally apart of the group where I thought the car was slightly underpowered. but after awhile I have come to the opinion, for me atleast that power is perfectly fine. the true charm of the car is in taking it from 5000rpm range and up. that is where you just grin ear to ear with this car.
BoxRZ_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BoxRZ_86 For This Useful Post:
Mini Cooper S (09-24-2014), SirBrass (05-06-2015), SlammedSilly (09-22-2015)
Old 05-30-2014, 08:33 AM   #23
Rocket.BRZ
Banned

Drives: 2010 WRX (sold) 2013 brz
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC-Boy View Post
out of the box its more for the average commuter who isnt in need of any performance. but modded its quite nice, im with you on that this car is either ment either for someone who want a cool little car thats different, or good car to personalise. but it needs work to be considered sporty in my book. Dude for the tranny, put some hi quality oil in there, mtec springs, perrin tranny mount insert and shifter bushing. your in buisness it shifts very very smoothly, also loose that big cheap shift knob i put a heiver all metal knob from perrin, absolutly great !
I did all of that except for the transmission mount insert. Maybe I shouldn't have mixed the pentosin with the Lucas transmission fix.
Rocket.BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 10:57 AM   #24
Sideways&Smiling

Drives: AP2 S2000, S14 240sx
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
I will be satisfied when I can pick one up for under $15k used. :p
Sideways&Smiling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 11:35 AM   #25
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Very satisfied. The strangest part for me was owning a 2009 Boxster S for a while and looking forward to getting back into my FR-S. Not saying the FR-S is the better car (it's not), but it's got a certain minimalist appeal to it.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 11:49 AM   #26
myusernameisrob

Drives: FR-Z
I've had mine for less than a week and managed to clock up 500+ miles. I couldn't stop driving it. The power is plenty for a DD and spirited driving.

I'd rather push a car to it's limits than drive something half assed that has lots of power.
myusernameisrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 11:54 AM   #27
WhiteFRS69

Drives: 2014 Scion FRS
Thanked 1,432 Times in 756 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jebuwh View Post
Literally. I'll look out the window and go man, that is nice. Haha.

Op it is the most fun of any car I've owned, I absolutely love driving it. 12,000 miles since October. I love every second.
lol thank got im not the only one that put that many miles on my car!

going on 11K since october,
i love driving this car, i get people looking everywhere i go,
WhiteFRS69 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteFRS69 For This Useful Post:
jebuwh (05-30-2014)
Old 05-30-2014, 01:33 PM   #28
BC-Boy

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket.BRZ View Post
I did all of that except for the transmission mount insert. Maybe I shouldn't have mixed the pentosin with the Lucas transmission fix.
well the tranny mount insert really keeps the tranny from moving around and makes it more solid and direct imo, i used amsoil 75w90 i belive, and it took a bit actually, it was notchy for a few days but broke in i guess and now its lovely , totally different tranny