follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 08-15-2012, 09:43 AM   #15
FRiSson

Drives: FR-S MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryude View Post
The car is amazing, it can cut corners so precisely that I really don't think you will find a car in the same price range that offers that much handling capability.

BUT, here is the problem I face as far as do I buy it.

The car is just too easy to drive. Yes, I said it's too easy. It feels like a beginner car, there is no skill needed at all. Also, I didn't feel connected with the car. My inputs were not communicated in a way that made me feel like I could control the car the way I wanted. It just seemed like the car "knew" what to do and no matter what I did, that's what the car did. 40% throttle and 100% throttle feel exactly the same, I need to be able to modulate the power in a corner and not feel like I have no clue what it's doing.

There's my rant, but I still really loved the car other than that. I'm still on the fence about whether I should get it, because I do believe it has serious potential. I was just hoping for more of an old school sports car with lots of connection and that's not what I experienced at all.

/flame suit on
You're a lot like the guy who has sex for the first time and thinks to himself - "Well now I know what that's all about."
FRiSson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:55 AM   #16
Hix

Drives: 2017 WRB PP
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Well coming from the other side going in to this car as a huge downgrade from my E92 M3 I was prepared for the worst... That changed after driving it for a while. This car feels more in tune with me and is more fun to drive. Yes I miss magnetic ride, novillo leather, and 414hp but sometimes numbers are not what makes a car.

The cornering is precise and responsive, the brakes feel good (maybe a bit high on fade but pads will help that), the acceleration feels much faster than it is, the grip is playful but extremely controllable, and this all ties together to make a fun little car.
Hix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:01 AM   #17
Justin.b

Drives: 13 Hot Lava, 01 Miata, 09 Outback
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I do enjoy being more relaxed when driving the FR-S. It's almost sensory overload sometimes in the Miata.

That's why I'm a bit hesitant to do any mods to the FR-S. As it is now, I have two fun to drive cars with slightly different characters. Modifying the FR-S like the Miata is just going to give me two cars that require quite a bit of attention to drive.

If you love the FR-S, ~$3000 for good coilovers, sways and tires could certainly transform it into a more aggressive-handling machine. My only concern is that this may raise the limits to a point not safe to approach on public roads - which is why I had sold the 240sx for the Miata in the first place.

-Justin
Old 08-15-2012, 10:15 AM   #18
Turbowned

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Perf Pack 6MT
Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,150 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Garage
Did you drive with all the nannies on?

I will say that today's cars are 10x more capable and drama-free compared to sports cars of the 80's. I can take a brand new Corolla base model around a corner at the same speed as my MR2 with zero drama, where the MR2 just feels like you're going much faster even if you aren't. On the highway in a new car, 80 feels like 50, whereas 80 in the MR2 feels closer to 100!

Current: 2005 Porsche 911 Carrera S 6MT
Previous: 2 BRZ's, 997 C2S, C5 RS6, C4 S6, B8 S4, GDB STi, S30 240Z, FC3S RX-7 TII, AW11/SW20 MR2, E30 318is/325i, etc.
Turbowned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:35 AM   #19
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
The car is amazing, it can cut corners so precisely that I really don't think you will find a car in the same price range that offers that much handling capability.

The car is just too easy to drive. Yes, I said it's too easy. It feels like a beginner car, there is no skill needed at all. Also, I didn't feel connected with the car. My inputs were not communicated in a way that made me feel like I could control the car the way I wanted. It just seemed like the car "knew" what to do and no matter what I did, that's what the car did. 40% throttle and 100% throttle feel exactly the same, I need to be able to modulate the power in a corner and not feel like I have no clue what it's doing.

There's my rant, but I still really loved the car other than that. I'm still on the fence about whether I should get it, because I do believe it has serious potential. I was just hoping for more of an old school sports car with lots of connection and that's not what I experienced at all.

/flame suit on
I noticed you drive a GTI (I do too) where 100% power mid-corner will result in tire squeel/scrub and understeer, and you can feel the body roll over. It's not pretty, but at least it's a form of feedback. Were you looking for that kind of response from the FR-S?

I think the grip of the FR-S might be too high relative to the power to get that kind of response on the street. Certainly doable on the track or autocross though.
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:39 AM   #20
pyro530

Drives: Ultramarine FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
If you want a car that doesn't know what your trying to do. Get a Genesis Coupe.
Past: 1994 Integra - Sold | 2005 Dodge SRT-4 - Totaled by Hail | 1997 Acura 2.2 CL slowmobile - Sold | 1991 BMW E30 - Sold | 1991 Acura Integra GS - Wrecked | 1971 Chevy C-10 shortbed stepside - Sold | 1973 Camaro Z-28 Clone - Stolen

Last edited by pyro530; 08-15-2012 at 04:51 PM.
pyro530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:25 AM   #21
BlaineWasHere
Grip>Drift

Drives: FRS
Thanked 1,749 Times in 918 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
I sold my MKV GTI (which I see OP you drive a GTI) and the FRS is a billion times more communicative through the steering and throttle than the GTI. The GTI now seems like a dump truck with a 24:1 steering ratio and half a day throttle response.
BlaineWasHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:28 AM   #22
ABQautoxer

Drives: 2021 Supra / 2022 Tundra
I somewhat agree with original poster. This is an easy car to drive near the limit. I'm a somewhat experienced driver (lots of autocrosses and track days) but dont do a whole lot of at limit driving on the street. But when I do, I realize how easy it is to push it. My 99 and 90 miatas just had a lot more chassis movement, roll, etc so you had a lot of rollercoaster thrills the BRZ doesn't give. I'm glad not to have it but I see where someone who is expecting that would find it a bit boring. This doesn't IMO make the BRZ less fun to drive, in fact I prefer it, but that doesn't mean everyone else would like it better. I think the trick for the OP might be to drive an MX5, maybe a Genesis Coupe Rspec/Track and see which they would prefer. If you find you enjoy one of those more, then that would maybe better explain your disappointment with the 86s.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:35 AM   #23
empower-auto
Kouki-Monster

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:

/flame suit on
Found a solution to your problem. Took me 4 seconds:

Drive Faster
Old 08-15-2012, 11:35 AM   #24
SupraLove
Banned

Drives: 2007 Toyota Camry LE, 5AT i4
Quote:
I test drove a MT. I guess the biggest problem is that for me the Miata felt much more like a driver's car. It's just my opinion and I'm not a professional driver so take it with a grain of salt. I am merely expressing my opinion and wanted to know if what I experienced was indicative of the real FR-S.
You've been spoiled by your MX-5... Really, I don't think there's a SINGLE CAR in this day and age that even remotely comes close to the amount of driving enjoyment you get from that little roadster. And yes, that includes the FR-S too. It comes close, but it's far from surpassing the MX-5's direct connected road feel. The FR-S isn't meant to beat the Miata – it's supposed to be its companion. And even though the FR-S is a great car, the 240, FD, S14, NA, and a few others still surpass it to this day. The FR-S is the spark. Innovation is the solution. As soon as other Japanese manufacturers jump on to the bandwagon, we'll be the happiest souls on Planet Earth. Just you wait.

/tldr
SupraLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 03:06 PM   #25
ryude

Drives: Volkswagen GTI
Way too many people here are taking my posts as bashing the FR-S, that's not what I am doing at all. It's a great car, just not for me. I've driven a lot of cars over the years (I turn 28 soon), and I guess I'm just used to the older simpler RWD cars.

If you want to see me as someone who can't understand the car, then so be it. I was just trying to give an unbiased opinion about the car I thought would be my next dream car.
ryude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 03:19 PM   #26
ABQautoxer

Drives: 2021 Supra / 2022 Tundra
You are on a forum for this car and for some, this is their only car and take things very personally.

It's fine if its not for you of course, but maybe test drive it again if you can. I was a lot more impressed the second time I drove one...the 3rd test drive even more impressed than the first two.
Old 08-15-2012, 03:21 PM   #27
SUB-FT86
86 Member

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86 2.0T (Asphalt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyro530 View Post
If you want a car that doesn't know what your trying to do. Get a Genisis Coupe.
That sounds like pure BS.
SUB-FT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 03:22 PM   #28
Foobar
SLO NO MO

Drives: '19 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Thanked 1,062 Times in 738 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Way too many people here are taking my posts as bashing the FR-S, that's not what I am doing at all. It's a great car, just not for me. I've driven a lot of cars over the years (I turn 28 soon), and I guess I'm just used to the older simpler RWD cars.

If you want to see me as someone who can't understand the car, then so be it. I was just trying to give an unbiased opinion about the car I thought would be my next dream car.
Hey man, I didn't see many people bashing anyone in this thread - I thought your OP and the responses were pretty civil, and I could relate to everything said on both sides of this issue (well except for the comment about the GC, I happen to drive my wife's 2013 2.0T on occasion and I have no complaints.)

It's all good - nobody can change your mind and I don't think any of us intend to. That said, give yourself some more time behind the wheel of this car - for some people, it had to grow on them before they fully appreciated the experience. For some of us, it happened on the first test drive. The car isn't perfect for everyone, of course, but everyone can connect to it at some level to appreciate it for what it is.

Good luck!
Foobar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Foobar For This Useful Post:
FRiSson (08-15-2012)