follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 08-13-2013, 09:16 AM   #29
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,343 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis_GT View Post
Actually, it can... engine heat will degrade plastic parts and make them brittle and susceptible to damage rather easily...
That would be even a possibility when the car is 15+ years old. Even then, it will be extremely rare.
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:36 AM   #30
kombatlion
Life to short to be slow!

Drives: Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by suaveflooder View Post
Lol, I thought "brah" was pretty nice all things considered. And I was hardly offended, just thought you sounded like a jerk in your response to a guys first post on a forum. Welcome OP!

And "protocol?" What on earth do you do for a living? I went through some of your posts hoping that you weren't like this on all of them. Even mods have basically told you to lighten up in your "Lack of moderation of off-topic threads?" thread.

Stop nitpicking everything you possibly can. It's really not worth it (coming from experience oddly enough). Subaru is going to do what they want to do no matter what you preach here. You think that your one voice is going to have them stop their folly (odd word, but it fits, basically means "a fool in action"...this is not necessarly for Alex, but just those reading) after YEARS of doing it? They will CONTINUE to void warranties, some will be valid, but MOST will be over anything they can do to not have to pay out of pocket. Thankfully, I bought a "Toyota" so I won't have to worry about this.

As far as "spoon feeding" the OP, the answer is "yes" that is EXACTLY you are supposed to do! Post number "one" on a forum that the majority of the memebers are in their early 20's? What did you honestly expect when you joined? A group of highly experienced DIYers? Where in the hell did you get the "protocol" to deal with post number one of someone who made a mistake and is now asking the next direction? I gave him my answer, and it was basically the same as yours, but without calling him a "dumb ass" or getting preachy....sometimes, they don't need to be browbeaten when they are already frustrated.

With you having "been there" (I assume you mean rookie), you whould think that the OP would get a little grace. I know I had A LOT of grace when I was learning. I made a lot of stupid mistakes, as well as got a lot of "spoon feeding." I assume you got some "spoon feeding" yourself in the beginning....pay it forward
Jajaja Like this post Agree!!!
kombatlion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:14 AM   #31
mwjcyber

Drives: 13' Subaru BRZ Limited SWP 6MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZionsWrath View Post
Well that escalated quickly
mwjcyber is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mwjcyber For This Useful Post:
Sportsguy83 (08-13-2013)
Old 08-13-2013, 10:23 AM   #32
enwave
That headunit though...

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited SSM
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Yeah... If you cracked the air box doing something stupid like putting too much pressure on it, they won't cover it. If you try to convince them that you applied normal pressure but the airbox buckled when it definitely shouldn't have, they may cover it if they are a friendly 'ship.

It's up to you to decide whether the airbox SHOULD have cracked based on what you were doing and you should be honest in how you tell them.

If it's not covered, that's one expensive drop-in
enwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:50 AM   #33
epistome

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Just to clarify, I wasn't asking for advice on how to cheat Subaru into covering my "rookie" mistake under warranty. I was planning to fess up to it the next time I go there to get an oil change. I just wanted to know whether "User Error" was covered under my warranty.

And its not like I didn't check out the owner's manual first for directions; I did. I just thought replacing an air filter should only take a minute. I was wrong. I fucked up. I'm an adult. I will deal with it.

Thanks for all the feedback. I really didn't expect so many posts within 12 hours.
epistome is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to epistome For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (08-13-2013), enwave (08-13-2013), Luis_GT (08-13-2013), Meehow86 (08-15-2013), Sportsguy83 (08-13-2013)
Old 08-13-2013, 11:04 AM   #34
Noob4Life
86 Noob

Drives: Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by epistome View Post
Just to clarify, I wasn't asking for advice on how to cheat Subaru into covering my "rookie" mistake under warranty. I was planning to fess up to it the next time I go there to get an oil change. I just wanted to know whether "User Error" was covered under my warranty.

And its not like I didn't check out the owner's manual first for directions; I did. I just thought replacing an air filter should only take a minute. I was wrong. I fucked up. I'm an adult. I will deal with it.

Thanks for all the feedback. I really didn't expect so many posts within 12 hours.
User error will never be covered under warranty. What it all comes down to is weather you want to lie and try to have it covered for free or man up and pay to replace it. IMO replacing parts you break on your own dime really helps the learning process and motivates you to be more careful the next time. Don't feel bad there was a guy on here awhile back who was asking about taking his tires in under warranty because they started coming apart after only a few drifting evens lmao like everyone has said post a WTB or buy a used CAI off the classifieds if you do decide to fix it on your own dime. Good luck
Old 08-13-2013, 11:26 AM   #35
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,343 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:

I applaud you. Lots of people wouldn't even consider being honest.

Now about the amount of answers and opinions, welcome to the world of the internet, lots and lots of opinions, lots of "e-thugs". :happy0180:
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sportsguy83 For This Useful Post:
enwave (08-13-2013), kombatlion (08-13-2013), Marchy (08-13-2013), Opie (08-13-2013)
Old 08-13-2013, 11:45 AM   #36
mwjcyber

Drives: 13' Subaru BRZ Limited SWP 6MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Duck Tape
mwjcyber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:49 AM   #37
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Lol, I thought "brah" was pretty nice all things considered. And I was hardly offended, just thought you sounded like a jerk in your response to a guys first post on a forum. Welcome OP!

And "protocol?" What on earth do you do for a living? I went through some of your posts hoping that you weren't like this on all of them. Even mods have basically told you to lighten up in your "Lack of moderation of off-topic threads?" thread.

Stop nitpicking everything you possibly can. It's really not worth it (coming from experience oddly enough). Subaru is going to do what they want to do no matter what you preach here. You think that your one voice is going to have them stop their folly (odd word, but it fits, basically means "a fool in action"...this is not necessarly for Alex, but just those reading) after YEARS of doing it? They will CONTINUE to void warranties, some will be valid, but MOST will be over anything they can do to not have to pay out of pocket. Thankfully, I bought a "Toyota" so I won't have to worry about this.

As far as "spoon feeding" the OP, the answer is "yes" that is EXACTLY you are supposed to do! Post number "one" on a forum that the majority of the memebers are in their early 20's? What did you honestly expect when you joined? A group of highly experienced DIYers? Where in the hell did you get the "protocol" to deal with post number one of someone who made a mistake and is now asking the next direction? I gave him my answer, and it was basically the same as yours, but without calling him a "dumb ass" or getting preachy....sometimes, they don't need to be browbeaten when they are already frustrated.

With you having "been there" (I assume you mean rookie), you whould think that the OP would get a little grace. I know I had A LOT of grace when I was learning. I made a lot of stupid mistakes, as well as got a lot of "spoon feeding." I assume you got some "spoon feeding" yourself in the beginning....pay it forward
I'm glad you have it all figured out for me.

-alex
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:50 AM   #38
enwave
That headunit though...

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited SSM
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Bravo for being honest.
enwave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to enwave For This Useful Post:
Sportsguy83 (08-13-2013)
Old 08-13-2013, 11:50 AM   #39
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:

Your answer is covered in the warranty section of your owner's manual (the separate book).

Or you can Google "Subaru warranty" and find what you need:
https://www.subaru.com/my-subaru/warranties-2013.html

-alex
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:57 AM   #40
suaveflooder

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 1,052 Times in 664 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1178 View Post
I'm glad you have it all figured out for me.

-alex
What do you do for a living again? I missed it.
suaveflooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 12:05 PM   #41
brz_star21

Drives: DGM BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Besides, with how subaru is being with these cars, I wouldn't give them any more reason to void your warranty. The K&N according to them means that you are "highly modified" and participating in racing events.
Is this previous negative experience with your Subaru dealer/corporate or just an assumption of reading off the forums of a select few vocal owners who have had bad experiences with Subaru?

Honestly, you can't always take ranting from owners as 100% straight truth on a forum. There is always two sides to the story and possibly more variables that have gone unmentioned. It also depends on how an owner goes about working with them. Yes, hearing warranty denial stories might cause you to be wary but jumping to conclusions and assumptions can be unfair.

Basically, you never truly know until you've dealt with them. I'm not condoning you going to the dealer and try to con them but try and be up front and see what they say. You've already faced the fact they might not pony up to your mistake so it doesn't hurt to try and ask. Maybe you might luck out and have an exceptional dealer.
brz_star21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 12:17 PM   #42
Luis_GT
Banned

Drives: 2002 BMW 530i, 10 Series FR-S
Thanked 3,334 Times in 1,754 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsguy83 View Post
That would be even a possibility when the car is 15+ years old. Even then, it will be extremely rare.
You certainly don't know BMW's
Luis_GT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Luis_GT For This Useful Post:
enwave (08-13-2013), Sportsguy83 (08-13-2013)

Tags
air filter, intake, warranty