follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 12-16-2021, 09:52 AM   #1
Angrypuppy

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited on order
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Brake pad recommendation

Took delivery of a 2022 BRZ a few days ago. Working on break in miles now. Haven’t owned anything other than a truck in about two decades. Having a blast so far. My son has a VW Golf we’ve taken to some track events, that lit the fire and pushed us to the BRZ.

So this will be a learning season. Track events and Autocross. The car will not be a daily driver. The only mod we want to do is brake pads and fluid for now. This fall after a summer driving the thing we will decide what the next step for the car will be.

Can someone recommend a track day autocross pad please? My understanding is a pad never gets to temp at an autocross event, but with two of us sharing a car we will be pretty hard on them at a track day. Probably nothing that checks both of those boxes. Leaning toward the Ferodo DS2500. Advice?

Edit: I have searched threads and read the other thread currently on the front page.
Angrypuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 11:30 AM   #2
CedN

Drives: 2013 GT86 fully standard
I think the DS2500 might get a short lifespan for a car that regularly sees track. I chose them for my gen1 since since the car must work as a daily aswell as on track, and they do work well from cold(even in - 17degC).which makes them great for autoX. But with more power and more weight the gen 2 maybe need something that can handle more temp would be more suitable, especially with car sharing.
kevaughan (03-06-2022), strat61caster (12-16-2021)
Old 12-16-2021, 11:48 AM   #3
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,322 Times in 7,380 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
CSG makes great pads, but they are pricey. Mike at CSG is running them on his gen 2 car already.

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show...&postcount=114

I ran the C1's on my first gen and was pretty happy with them. I am trying out Raybestos pads this year. Dunno how those would handle AutoX though. You may end up running a different pad for each discipline.
Old 12-16-2021, 11:51 AM   #4
CedN

Drives: 2013 GT86 fully standard
Ive seen PFC08 doing great stuff on these cars aswell around here.
Old 12-16-2021, 12:01 PM   #5
TommyW

Drives: '13 Whiteout
Thanked 1,242 Times in 673 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
I use Powerstop Trackday pads. They are really good. First set got 3 autocross and 4 track days. Current set is 8 track days and probably 3 more to go. I’ve heard lots of good things about the CSG pads and may give them a shot.
TommyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 01:34 PM   #6
Fletch

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyW View Post
I use Powerstop Trackday pads. They are really good. First set got 3 autocross and 4 track days. Current set is 8 track days and probably 3 more to go. I’ve heard lots of good things about the CSG pads and may give them a shot.
Thanks for the info! How long sessions were you doing? Any fade/heat issues?

I see you are in SoCal - what sort of lap times were you subjecting them to?
Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 02:18 PM   #7
TommyW

Drives: '13 Whiteout
Thanked 1,242 Times in 673 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
Thanks for the info! How long sessions were you doing? Any fade/heat issues?

I see you are in SoCal - what sort of lap times were you subjecting them to?
I run in the high 1:40s at Laguna, 1:30 at Streets and the other ones I'd have to check. They've been reliable as far as fade. I run Castrol SRF fluid, SS lines and slotted rotors now. Car STOPS! Once I dialed out the understeer and got rid of most of it the pads lasted longer.
I'm an 8\10 driver

Last edited by TommyW; 12-16-2021 at 02:44 PM.
TommyW is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TommyW For This Useful Post:
SCFD (03-05-2022)
Old 12-16-2021, 02:20 PM   #8
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,478 Times in 4,998 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I liked carbotech xp10s as a track newb and they were good for the first stop at autocross as well, noisy on the street for me but zero problems driving the car to/from events. I could easily do <2m Laguna times all day long my second+third time there (1:54-1:56) on an otherwise stock car with 200tw tires (Z2ss, it was a long time ago now lol). Gloc R10 should be similar.

I like ds2500 for Street/autox, they'd survive a lapping day but only by the skin of their teeth imho. Might be fine for a few events as you get into it but I'd expect you wouldn't buy them again.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 02:24 PM   #9
CounterSpace Garage

Drives: Subaru BRZ / Toyota 86 Experts
Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrypuppy View Post
Took delivery of a 2022 BRZ a few days ago. Working on break in miles now. Haven’t owned anything other than a truck in about two decades. Having a blast so far. My son has a VW Golf we’ve taken to some track events, that lit the fire and pushed us to the BRZ.

So this will be a learning season. Track events and Autocross. The car will not be a daily driver. The only mod we want to do is brake pads and fluid for now. This fall after a summer driving the thing we will decide what the next step for the car will be.

Can someone recommend a track day autocross pad please? My understanding is a pad never gets to temp at an autocross event, but with two of us sharing a car we will be pretty hard on them at a track day. Probably nothing that checks both of those boxes. Leaning toward the Ferodo DS2500. Advice?

Edit: I have searched threads and read the other thread currently on the front page.
The recommendation is to go with a proper racing compound if you're planning to track. There are many different properties pertaining to setups and driving application. One major thing that separates us from the rest is that we're able to provide technical support while offering the latest advancements in brake compound technology. Tire tech is getting better, data is being shared, there is simply more access to track time now than ever before, and people are just getting quicker.

When it comes to our stuff, we benchmarked almost all available racing/performance compounds on the brake dyno and on vehicle testing. Stiffness, pressure consistency, wear patterns, feedback, etc. are all judged accordingly. However, no other pad compound comes close to keeping the caliper temps under control and maintaining temp for the brake fluid. It's one of the reasons why our caliper temps tend to run nearly 100-150C lower than other competitive compounds.

The 2022 BRZ is a bit harder than brakes simply because the car is just that much quicker. CP is a good light track, autocross, and excellent performer for daily applications. C2 F/R is excellent for heavy lapping days, racing, and medium enduro runs.
CounterSpace Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CounterSpace Garage For This Useful Post:
Angrypuppy (12-16-2021), brianbui23 (01-27-2022), TommyW (12-16-2021), ZDan (12-16-2021)
Old 12-16-2021, 03:14 PM   #10
timurrrr

Drives: 2022 GR86
Thanked 1,297 Times in 718 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
What tires do you plan to use at the track? I use GT Radial SX2. Having switched from CSG C1 to C2, I found C2 to be too much for those tires, and I'm thinking about switching my front pads back to C1.
PP Brembo calipers.

Last edited by timurrrr; 12-16-2021 at 04:38 PM. Reason: Specified the calipers.
timurrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 03:18 PM   #11
Fletch

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyW View Post
I run in the high 1:40s at Laguna, 1:30 at Streets and the other ones I'd have to check. They've been reliable as far as fade. I run Castrol SRF fluid, SS lines and slotted rotors now. Car STOPS! Once I dialed out the understeer and got rid of most of it the pads lasted longer.
I'm an 8\10 driver
Thanks great info!
Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 04:19 PM   #12
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,176 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrypuppy View Post

Try the CSG C2 front/rear. It'll handle your track duty, but still have a wide enough operating temperature range to handle your AutoX without issue.

A lot of folks have chimed in, but don't mention caliper. Your recommendation is specific to your use case, and your factory calipers.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 04:46 PM   #13
Angrypuppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CounterSpace Garage View Post
The recommendation is to go with a proper racing compound if you're planning to track. There are many different properties pertaining to setups and driving application. One major thing that separates us from the rest is that we're able to provide technical support while offering the latest advancements in brake compound technology. Tire tech is getting better, data is being shared, there is simply more access to track time now than ever before, and people are just getting quicker.

When it comes to our stuff, we benchmarked almost all available racing/performance compounds on the brake dyno and on vehicle testing. Stiffness, pressure consistency, wear patterns, feedback, etc. are all judged accordingly. However, no other pad compound comes close to keeping the caliper temps under control and maintaining temp for the brake fluid. It's one of the reasons why our caliper temps tend to run nearly 100-150C lower than other competitive compounds.

The 2022 BRZ is a bit harder than brakes simply because the car is just that much quicker. CP is a good light track, autocross, and excellent performer for daily applications. C2 F/R is excellent for heavy lapping days, racing, and medium enduro runs.
Thank you. Might try the CP.
Old 12-16-2021, 04:48 PM   #14
Angrypuppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Try the CSG C2 front/rear. It'll handle your track duty, but still have a wide enough operating temperature range to handle your AutoX without issue.

A lot of folks have chimed in, but don't mention caliper. Your recommendation is specific to your use case, and your factory calipers.
Just saw this after I posted CP.

Maybe C2 then. It will be factory calipers until the fall. Will reevaluate entire status up then.

Thank you