follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 04-05-2019, 09:14 AM   #1
brusk

Drives: Empty Spot in the driveway
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
BRZ or LFX RX8 or R53 MCS

Like plenty of other people that stop here I'm in the market for a lighter sporty car. One of my first cars when I was younger was an original AE86 Corolla so when they announced this platform coming I've had my eye on it since, unfortunately the subaru engine part never excited me. IMO it should have had a 2ZZ or something that behaved like that, some excitement. I've had several fast cars, last one was a tuned 135i with all M3 suspension pieces. I loved the car but it went around turns with such ease I was just along for the ride and couldn't give it any gas with a car of that much torque.

I drove a TRD GT86 the other day but the sales guy came and killed most of the fun as he was about 400 lb. It was a nice driving car, minus the torque dip that really sucks but I really didn't get the feel of it was anything special it was just solid and never put that smile on my face I was hoping for. Ideally I'd be looking at a used 17 BRZ with the PP add a header, tune, flywheel and bushings to try to get the engine to feel like it should.

Or I can pick up a dirt cheap RX8 in nice shape, swap the rotary for a 320HP Camaro LFX V6 and have a balanced car with medium torque and decent HP. But I keep hearing stories of how fun it is to blast downt he back roads in a supercharged go kart like R53 MCS. This reminds me of the days of my MR2 and CRX cars that were little POS but were a blast to actually drive.

Any other suggestions that I might not have thought of would also be helpfull. So far looked at an ND Miata and was too small, S2000 wasn't very confortable. I'm a hair over 6' at about 200lb. The thought of just going an getting an 09 Cayman S and a warranty has also crossed my mind but I'm really trying to stay away from german junk (still bad taste from the alst mercedes I lost $$$ on)
brusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 10:11 AM   #2
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Drives: '19 FWD master race CTR
Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by brusk View Post
Like plenty of other people that stop here I'm in the market for a lighter sporty car. One of my first cars when I was younger was an original AE86 Corolla so when they announced this platform coming I've had my eye on it since, unfortunately the subaru engine part never excited me. IMO it should have had a 2ZZ or something that behaved like that, some excitement. I've had several fast cars, last one was a tuned 135i with all M3 suspension pieces. I loved the car but it went around turns with such ease I was just along for the ride and couldn't give it any gas with a car of that much torque.

I drove a TRD GT86 the other day but the sales guy came and killed most of the fun as he was about 400 lb. It was a nice driving car, minus the torque dip that really sucks but I really didn't get the feel of it was anything special it was just solid and never put that smile on my face I was hoping for. Ideally I'd be looking at a used 17 BRZ with the PP add a header, tune, flywheel and bushings to try to get the engine to feel like it should.

Or I can pick up a dirt cheap RX8 in nice shape, swap the rotary for a 320HP Camaro LFX V6 and have a balanced car with medium torque and decent HP. But I keep hearing stories of how fun it is to blast downt he back roads in a supercharged go kart like R53 MCS. This reminds me of the days of my MR2 and CRX cars that were little POS but were a blast to actually drive.

Any other suggestions that I might not have thought of would also be helpfull. So far looked at an ND Miata and was too small, S2000 wasn't very confortable. I'm a hair over 6' at about 200lb. The thought of just going an getting an 09 Cayman S and a warranty has also crossed my mind but I'm really trying to stay away from german junk (still bad taste from the alst mercedes I lost $$$ on)

I'd get the Cayman/Boxster S tbh, or Mustang.. Camaro. It already sounds like you'd be willing to spend the extra money on other cars in the form of adding power, so why not get a car that has the power stock, just requires some maintenance $$. You're also not focused on handling?¿
Old 04-05-2019, 10:14 AM   #3
86TOYO2k17

Drives: 2017 toyota 86
Thanked 1,188 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
A good header and tune will make the car feel like it should have from the factory. Its a drivers car about handling and agility, not acceleration. If you like the look and want a light weight RWD car, this may be the car for you. However because of how the car looks you expect it to be faster and that feeling never really leaves.

The 86 is an awesome platform to start a build from. At the very least you would want header/tune but honestly, that will only make you craving more. However you can run about 7-9psi very reliably on a cheap turbo setup for a DD for about $4200 if you self install (3k turbo kit 1k tuning, $150 oem oil cooler but for track you'll want a real oil cooler) and that should make the car feel fast and be even more of a blast to drive. 250whp / 300crank makes this car an awesome DD.

The aftermarket for this car is huge almost endless possibilities for what you can do. only limitation is money and your imagination.

Moral of the story buy this car if you like the look/style/handling and are willing to spend at least $5,000 on mods to get the speed you expect.
If you want a car that is how you want it straight from the factory and don't want to bother with mods then this isn't the car for you.
86TOYO2k17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 10:15 AM   #4
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
This is not the car you're looking for.

LFX RX8 sounds miserable BTW. There are so many more LSx swap kits and dialed in setups, doesn't sound worth it for the relatively "new" swaps. Especially with the size of the engine bay on an RX8.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Summerwolf For This Useful Post:
Jordanwolf (04-05-2019)
Old 04-05-2019, 10:27 AM   #5
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86TOYO2k17 View Post
A good header and tune will make the car feel like it should have from the factory.
A biased misleading statement.

What if I wanted 86/BRZ handling, but Prius MPG and torque dip daily driving. That's how it should've come from factory.
Old 04-05-2019, 10:36 AM   #6
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
R53 MCS is a really fun car. Definitely worth a test-drive (but look into reliability concerns as well).

ND2 Miata is also worth test-driving if you can fit.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 10:38 AM   #7
86TOYO2k17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordanwolf View Post
A biased misleading statement.

What if I wanted 86/BRZ handling, but Prius MPG and torque dip daily driving. That's how it should've come from factory.
Then why buy an awesome looking RWD sports car? and who would intentionally want a torque dip right in the daily driving rpm range?

Based on personally experience and 90% of the comments from people on this forum, and the dozens of reviews from car enthusiast, and car magazines etc... this car has no balls. Great style and handling. but lacking power. And the first comment almost every person says who drives stock then drives tuned+header is "this is how the car should have came from the factory" then they drive a low boost 86 and say "this is really how it should have come from the factory"

Also FYI most people see an increase in MPG when getting tuned+header as they can lean out fuel trims a little in low/midrange and don't need to rev as high/hard to accelerate when DDing.
Old 04-05-2019, 10:59 AM   #8
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,400 Times in 6,129 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Based on personally experience and 90% of the comments from people on this forum, and the dozens of reviews from car enthusiast, and car magazines etc... this car has no balls.
It only takes $15 to solve that particular issue...

https://trucknutz.com

Though I am a bit concerned about the 10% that seem to have found the cars balls
Spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spuds For This Useful Post:
Victorscp (04-13-2019), Will BRZ (04-13-2019)
Old 04-05-2019, 11:07 AM   #9
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Garage
Quote:
Then why buy an awesome looking RWD sports car? and who would intentionally want a torque dip right in the daily driving rpm range?

Based on personally experience and 90% of the comments from people on this forum, and the dozens of reviews from car enthusiast, and car magazines etc... this car has no balls. Great style and handling. but lacking power. And the first comment almost every person says who drives stock then drives tuned+header is "this is how the car should have came from the factory" then they drive a low boost 86 and say "this is really how it should have come from the factory"

Also FYI most people see an increase in MPG when getting tuned+header as they can lean out fuel trims a little in low/midrange and don't need to rev as high/hard to accelerate when DDing.
A lot, and I mean A LOT of people buy cars simply for the look and disregard performance all together. Some even compromise performance for look. Additionally the torque dip is more of a blessing in daily traffic if you ask me, especially for passengers so it doesn't feel like at ever stop and go I'm hammering the gas trying to break necks.

Based on personal experience and 10% of the comments I've read on this forum, dozens of reviews from "car enthusiast" I haven't watched/read, and car magazines I haven't flipped through, this car doesn't need balls. The people who also drove stock then went to a header/tune or FI will obviously say that's how it should've came from factory, because that's what they wanted it to do from factory.

I'd really like to see some results on tune+header cars getting MPG and just being overall more efficient, because this is likely something I'd do in the future so it would be a nice plus.
Old 04-05-2019, 12:11 PM   #10
86TOYO2k17

Quote:
A lot, and I mean A LOT of people buy cars simply for the look and disregard performance all together. Some even compromise performance for look. Additionally the torque dip is more of a blessing in daily traffic if you ask me, especially for passengers so it doesn't feel like at ever stop and go I'm hammering the gas trying to break necks.

Based on personal experience and 10% of the comments I've read on this forum, dozens of reviews from "car enthusiast" I haven't watched/read, and car magazines I haven't flipped through, this car doesn't need balls. The people who also drove stock then went to a header/tune or FI will obviously say that's how it should've came from factory, because that's what they wanted it to do from factory.

I'd really like to see some results on tune+header cars getting MPG and just being overall more efficient, because this is likely something I'd do in the future so it would be a nice plus.
If your "breaking necks" with a header/tune you must not be driving well. Even supercharged the car is perfectly smooth when i want it to be.

Plus if you read the OPs post he is looking at performance and comparing it to other cars that have performance in mind. and really made no comments about looks or mpg.

Seems like hes looking for a sports car in its truest form, performance included. and in order to get that from this platform you need at the bare minimum header/tune. Who wants a beautiful sports car that looks like it should be fast but gets pulled on by minivans at every stop light. Doesn't make sense.

a lot of forums on here discussing and people testing seeing mpg increase with header/tune.
Old 04-05-2019, 12:40 PM   #11
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Garage
Quote:
If your "breaking necks" with a header/tune you must not be driving well. Even supercharged the car is perfectly smooth when i want it to be.

Plus if you read the OPs post he is looking at performance and comparing it to other cars that have performance in mind. and really made no comments about looks or mpg.

Seems like hes looking for a sports car in its truest form, performance included. and in order to get that from this platform you need at the bare minimum header/tune. Who wants a beautiful sports car that looks like it should be fast but gets pulled on by minivans at every stop light. Doesn't make sense.

a lot of forums on here discussing and people testing seeing mpg increase with header/tune.
You seem to misconstrue what I mean by break necks.

Yikes, your opinion is bloated. You don't need to do anything to this platform for it to feel and be great besides drive it. Being pulled on by a minivan really has nothing to do with being a sporty car lol. Like I said earlier, people sacrifice performance for looks all the time, you seem to think and spout otherwise though.

What exactly is a sportscar in its true form?
Old 04-05-2019, 02:17 PM   #12
86TOYO2k17

Quote:
You seem to misconstrue what I mean by break necks.

Yikes, your opinion is bloated. You don't need to do anything to this platform for it to feel and be great besides drive it. Being pulled on by a minivan really has nothing to do with being a sporty car lol. Like I said earlier, people sacrifice performance for looks all the time, you seem to think and spout otherwise though.

What exactly is a sportscar in its true form?
Breaking necks. Jerky, or sudden changes in speed causing your neck to “break”
This car drives as smooth as a baby’s backside when you want it to. With or without header/tune or FI

Well by the literal definition of a sports car “a car designed for performance at high speed”. And you generally expect the car to be able to get to that high speed relatively quickly.

And again the OP is comparing much faster less driver oriented cars to this car. So I’m assuming he cares about acceleration. So being slower then a minivan is pretty disappointing. But for a few grand that issue can be resolved and you can have it all. 35k out the door for a 250whp/300crank. Now that makes it a sports
Car.
Old 04-05-2019, 03:33 PM   #13
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Garage
Quote:
Breaking necks. Jerky, or sudden changes in speed causing your neck to “break”
This car drives as smooth as a baby’s backside when you want it to. With or without header/tune or FI

Well by the literal definition of a sports car “a car designed for performance at high speed”. And you generally expect the car to be able to get to that high speed relatively quickly.

And again the OP is comparing much faster less driver oriented cars to this car. So I’m assuming he cares about acceleration. So being slower then a minivan is pretty disappointing. But for a few grand that issue can be resolved and you can have it all. 35k out the door for a 250whp/300crank. Now that makes it a sports
Car.
Let me understand, by this logic “a car designed for performance at high speed”, the 86 is a sportscar, but then by this logic "250whp/300crank. Now that makes it a sportsCar." the 86 is not a sportscar. So you mean to tell me that a 90's NSX is not a sports car? A base 2015 Cayman is also not a sportscar? Etc. Which is it?

Oh and what minivans are the twins slower than?
Old 04-05-2019, 04:53 PM   #14
86TOYO2k17

Quote:
Let me understand, by this logic “a car designed for performance at high speed”, the 86 is a sportscar, but then by this logic "250whp/300crank. Now that makes it a sportsCar." the 86 is not a sportscar. So you mean to tell me that a 90's NSX is not a sports car? A base 2015 Cayman is also not a sportscar? Etc. Which is it?

Oh and what minivans are the twins slower than?
the literal definition is "a car designed for performance at high speed" the 86 can handle well at higher speeds, but it can not get to higher speeds to begin with at least not in any reasonable time frame . Adding 100HP to the 86 however makes it able to hit high speeds and at a reasonable rate. The 250whp/300crank was specifically in reference to the 86 platform. Not a universal number for all platforms to need to be classified as a true sports car.

Comparing a car from the early 90s, to a car in 2010+ is not very reasonable, the standard for speed has slowly dropped over the years as performance has gotten better and more attainable to more people. for example a 0-60 in the 7s in early 90s was considered fast, now you need to be in the low 5s. Which btw both a 2015 cayman and a 1991 nsx can do. so i am not really following anything your saying.

and Toyota Sienna and Dodge Caravan to name two, and if you look at 0-40mph the list would include a lot more. The point is a lot of minivans, compact suvs, and especially sedans. can keep up with a 86 off the line or even lower speed pulls. You would expect a true sports car to gap a minivan, not crawl away.

Ricer - "A person who makes unecessary modifications to their most often import car (hence the term "rice") to make it (mostly make it look) faster." The 86 is almost a rice mobile from the factory, designed to look fast but its slow, adding some HP though will make it as fast as it looks.

Dont get me wrong, i love this car, it has everything you could want from a sports car, except one of the most important factors, speed. However like I have said many times that can be fixed with about 4-5k$