follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 03-09-2013, 11:43 AM   #127
scottmcphee

Drives: 06 Subaru Legacy
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Stock is replenished, thanks for your patience for those orders sitting in the hopper - all will be filled and sent out Monday.
scottmcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:46 AM   #128
Huehuecoyotl
Banned

Drives: Perrin/VORTECH Supercharger TestBRZ
Garage
any discount for buying 2?
Huehuecoyotl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:44 PM   #129
scottmcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huehuecoyotl View Post
any discount for buying 2?
Of course combined shipping saves you, PM me for details
Old 03-12-2013, 10:31 AM   #130
scottmcphee

New Feature Alert!

I've added a highly requested feature to the product: allow wig-wag hazard flashing while driving the car (ignition on).

Normally, wig-wag and slow motion hazard modifiers are only possible to use while parked (with the ignition OFF). This is how it's always been with Tap Turn and is how the new product ships by default.

However, the new product lets you enable hazard modifiers to work while in motion by changing a programmable setting once Tap Turn is installed. It's easy to do: start the car, signal right, turn on hazard switch, turn off car. Now you have wig-wag in motion (wig-wam?), and also slow motion hazard modifiers available to use while driving. Just turn on hazards and the signal stalk to get the modifier you want, at any time.

Another New Feature Alert #2!

I've also added a factory reset. This restores the product to default settings (as received). In doing so hazard modifiers while in motion are disabled again, and Tap Turn blinks reset to three (3). It's easy too: start the car, signal left, turn on hazard switch, turn off car. Now the unit is reset. You can only use hazard modifiers while parked (ignition off) again, and Tap Turn works while driving giving 3 blinks.

With new features comes new responsiblities. It may be a moving traffic violation to use wig-wag flashers while driving on public roads. Check your local traffic laws before deciding its OK for you to use wig-wag while in motion.

Last edited by scottmcphee; 03-12-2013 at 10:45 AM.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:32 AM   #131
scottmcphee

Everyone who's placed an order and has been waiting on this latest batch, this is your reward for waiting. You get the new features.
The Following User Says Thank You to scottmcphee For This Useful Post:
normancw (03-12-2013)
Old 03-12-2013, 10:39 AM   #132
scottmcphee

In fact, a very few of the most recent orders (late February) already sent and probably received by now have these new features mentioned above. These units leaked out early and were meant to be prototypes for testing these features. Your instruction page won't tell you about the features or how to set them - but they could be in the product. So now you know how to enable wig-wam and do factory reset. You can try these out - you might be a lucky winner! (Buy a lotto ticket today as well).
Old 03-12-2013, 10:42 AM   #133
scottmcphee

FYI - this is NOT the easter egg being teased about... the easter egg is a much smaller deal than this. And EVERYBODY has that. SO there will be no losers on that front.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:02 AM   #134
Lee358

Drives: nissan frontier, DGM MT BRZ
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
First off scott this easter egg is killing me!! Second i was the tester for this it works great! Its pretty cool also being able to wigwag whenever you want. I did not try the reset function, but i did do the wig wag in motion. Just like scott said with the car on stalk up hazards on car off Bam! Wigwag in motion. Thanks for the hard work scott!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lee358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:53 PM   #135
Pacific

Drives: 5 Celica since 1978.Now a GT86
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Understand that previous models does not have this new function which is in the new program of the microcontroler.
Is it possible to have the new version file to reprogram the AVR?
Thanks
Pacific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:35 PM   #136
scottmcphee

Easter Egg revealed

I know it's a bit after Easter already... so here is a how-to get the hidden feature out of a TapTurn flasher module. This works on any module sold that has programmable number of blinks.

It's an undocumented additional mode for emergency flashers that is a mash-up of the two other new modified hazard modes (wig wag, and slow motion) put together: you get slow wig-wag!

You can, if you're quick and well timed, produce a slowed down wig-wag (half speed), by first putting the car into wig-wag mode (hazards on, stalk up in the signal right direction).... then quickly drop the signal stalk down to the signal left position. You have to do this action as one motion not really pausing through the neutral position, just move through like it's not there.. And you have to time this just right, in a certain phase of the wig-wag cycle. A little experimentation and perhaps many tries is in order.. to get success.

Please don't break a signal stock trying to do this! It's not force that matters, speed of transition and timing - like delicate track work - is what matters. I find that by putting two fingers on the stalk close to the hinge point and "flicking" the stalk down to the left position, is a good approach with best chance of success.

Any luck?

In my initial testing, I noticed this case and couldn't decide if it was a bug or a feature. I decided in the end to leave it in the product, because it's pretty harmless and maybe even helpful for some driving situations... "pace car mode" anyone? I dunno.

I haven't bothered trying to find or define the exact point in the cycle at which to flick the stalk down. I know I could be studying the code, but some mystery is good in life. Kudos goes to the person who can explain this back to me in precise terms that leads to more assured success when a slow wig-wag is desired.

Last edited by scottmcphee; 04-12-2013 at 08:41 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to scottmcphee For This Useful Post:
Sportsguy83 (04-12-2013)
Old 04-12-2013, 06:23 AM   #137
Panman

Drives: 86 GTS
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Installed mine today - works advertised. Awesome!
Panman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:22 PM   #138
MaximaZero

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Did anyone ever end up trying the AutoWindow module and figuring if the 86 needs the DEI module?
MaximaZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:21 PM   #139
scottmcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximaZero View Post
Did anyone ever end up trying the AutoWindow module and figuring if the 86 needs the DEI module?
Nope. There's a different thread for that project, waiting for some electrical observations to be collected from the car. Gotta remember I don't have the car yet or I'd be doing this myself.
Old 04-13-2013, 12:39 PM   #140
Joxer

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Firestorm
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Just ordered mine as well - waiting here in TO to get what I'm used to in my Audi. Had a G37 Coupe for 3 years and it was always annoying not to have this. My god, what's next, LED lights all around and HID kit?
Joxer is offline   Reply With Quote