follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List
go_a_way1, MisterSheep

Old 01-13-2016, 12:49 PM   #43
PandaSPUR
PandaPandaPandaPandaPanda

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited CWP
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Ummmmm on which side?
You really wanna know?
PandaSPUR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PandaSPUR For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (01-13-2016)
Old 01-13-2016, 01:01 PM   #44
ScoobsMcGee
Junior Senior with Cheese

Drives: 15 BRZ
Thanked 7,013 Times in 2,337 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaSPUR View Post
You really wanna know?
Welp, that didn't work. In that case, the correct answer:

ScoobsMcGee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ScoobsMcGee For This Useful Post:
PandaSPUR (01-13-2016)
Old 01-13-2016, 01:04 PM   #45
ajcarson11

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited (Black)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I had my information stolen (most likely through this) and they charged $250 to my card. If you have purchased from them, it's likely your card WILL get used at some point.
ajcarson11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 01:09 PM   #46
fumanchu1

Drives: 2013 Brz C38 (bought not built :P)
Thanked 1,249 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quote:
Using a debit card is actually a worse idea. Its harder to make fraud claims and get your money back.

I actually prefer using my CC over PayPal for online purchases because PayPal's dispute process is longer than any of my credit cards'.

Its hard to steal someone's identity without DOB and SSN information as well anyway. And no online retailer should be asking for those things.

Finally, your card info can be easily stolen in real life: evil waiters, evil cab drivers, infected card terminals.
You should never ever have a Ssn number on your credit file or any credit card unless it was absolutely necessary. That is just opening yourself up to a higher risk as pulling a credit bureau isn't that hard if they have some info and are good at what they do(fraud). They get access to your credit bureau and your SSN is on there guess who can now get his identity stolen.

Take it from a former fraud analyst for a credit card company and credit analyst for government/military security clearances, do not give your SSN to anyone even your bank/cc if it is not an absolute necessity as you just increase the possibility of someone being able to access that information.
fumanchu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 01:14 PM   #47
fumanchu1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobsMcGee View Post
While I'm normally an advocate for thread derailment, preferably with gifs, let's keep this one on track.

If you received a letter from JB Autosports about the breach at FT86Speedfactory.com and Subispeed.com, do the following:

1. Check your card for any fraudulent charges and dispute them if so.
  2. If your card company hasn't already contacted you with suspicious activity and issued a new card, contact them and request a new card.

If you purchased from either website outside of the time window in the letter, but are concerned that your card may have been compromised, you may also complete the above steps. It reads as though a formal investigation has been completed, and there was no cardholder database to be compromised, so you should be okay. A little extra diligence never hurt, though.
I agree, better safe than sorry with these things. I would recommend anyone who has bought from them recently(even if outside the dates) to contact their credit card company and mention that you think your card was compromised and would like a new one(ensure they renumber it).

If you have had some fraud done on your card, I recommend contacting your credit bureau and having them send you a report(or have your credit card company pull it from their system) to ensure that no new card applications were made and no personal info was changed recently.
Old 01-13-2016, 01:14 PM   #48
justatroll

Drives: Full race 4cyl boxer
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fumanchu1 View Post
Take it from a former fraud analyst for a credit card company and credit analyst for government/military security clearances, do not give your SSN to anyone even your bank/cc if it is not an absolute necessity as you just increase the possibility of someone being able to access that information.

Back in the 90s the Oklahoma DMV would use your SSN as your DL #.
I don't know if they still do that.
justatroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 01:15 PM   #49
PandaSPUR

Quote:
You should never ever have a Ssn number on your credit file or any credit card unless it was absolutely necessary. That is just opening yourself up to a higher risk as pulling a credit bureau isn't that hard if they have some info and are good at what they do(fraud). They get access to your credit bureau and your SSN is on there guess who can now get his identity stolen.

What... Do banks even give out credit without any kind of SSN? lol that makes no sense. To me its like saying, dont give your SSN to the government because if the government gets hacked (and they did... stupid OPM), then your SSN gets stolen.
Old 01-13-2016, 01:32 PM   #50
fumanchu1

Quote:
What... Do banks even give out credit without any kind of SSN? lol that makes no sense. To me its like saying, dont give your SSN to the government because if the government gets hacked (and they did... stupid OPM), then your SSN gets stolen.
Yes they do give out loans and such without a SSN, as long as your credit bureau is in order and you can verify the info it contains. I agree with the government thing but my thought process is why would you want to create additional risk, sure the government has your ssn but not your credit bureau info. if you give ssn to credit bureau then they have a one stop shop for all your personal info,
Old 01-13-2016, 01:54 PM   #51
fumanchu1

Quote:
Originally Posted by justatroll View Post
Back in the 90s the Oklahoma DMV would use your SSN as your DL #.
I don't know if they still do that.
I hope not, that is the dumbest thing I've heard today
The Following User Says Thank You to fumanchu1 For This Useful Post:
justatroll (01-13-2016)
Old 01-13-2016, 01:56 PM   #52
PandaSPUR

Quote:
Yes they do give out loans and such without a SSN, as long as your credit bureau is in order and you can verify the info it contains. I agree with the government thing but my thought process is why would you want to create additional risk, sure the government has your ssn but not your credit bureau info. if you give ssn to credit bureau then they have a one stop shop for all your personal info,
So how do they pull your information from the credit reporting agencies and confirm thats actually you?

What stops me from going to the bank and getting a loan with just someone's name, address, and DOB? And then how does that bank come after me if I just run off with the money?
Old 01-13-2016, 02:04 PM   #53
fumanchu1

Quote:
So how do they pull your information from the credit reporting agencies and confirm thats actually you?

What stops me from going to the bank and getting a loan with just someone's name, address, and DOB? And then how does that bank come after me if I just run off with the money?
They ask questions about your previous information such as previous address, previous phone number, confirm one or more of your trades(accounts) with other banks and where they were open, if you have any other cards with bank amount and time of last payment or purchase,which company you did your car loan with.

They can also pull a credit bureau authorization (basically asks questions about your credit bureau files and previous info, also gives false positives such as which bank did you deal with <answer can be none>.

There are many other ways for them to track you down or figure if you are who you claim, such as putting you on hold and calling a previous phone number, looking at your history to see if anything recent is out of place (more purchases, higher risk purchases, several cards opened recently, inactive cards being used, internet purchase made when they hadn't before, etc.). Plenty more techniques can be used to catch a fraudster in their lies

Biggest fraud I've personally caught was in the vicinity of 50k and several in the 10-20k range. Things like that can escalate quickly.
The Following User Says Thank You to fumanchu1 For This Useful Post:
PandaSPUR (01-13-2016)
Old 01-13-2016, 02:20 PM   #54
G-awesome

Drives: 2015 Firestorm Scion FRS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
well this makes perfect sense now. No wonder I noticed two strange purchases around $250 (a small random donation to an unknown person and 200ish purchase at an online boardgame shop...very weird purchases if I do say so myself)

Luckily I noticed this a few days after the transactions and cancelled it and got a new CC immediately. It was the first time I ever got my CC stolen and it was super easy process to nerf the purchases. The CC I used is mostly used to purchase car parts so it's easy to notice suspicious transactions. I usually check my online bank/cc accounts once every 2 weeks or so to track investment/cc/bank transactions. Keeping the CC limit under 2K helps to prevent anyone from going to town in an event if it gets stolen.
G-awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 02:26 PM   #55
NyC Zn6

Drives: 10 Series #974 6m/t
Thanked 1,141 Times in 669 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
so the people that use Paypal on their site are good? I'm only asking because i haven't received any notifications from FT86Speedfactory.
NyC Zn6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 03:10 PM   #56
ashtray
As Seen On The Internet

Drives: 2003 WRX, 2013 BRZ, 442
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
This is why I only shop at reputable stores like Target, Home Depot, and... oh.

Yeah - id theft and fraudulent cc charges are super commonplace now. The CC have to fight to stay ahead of the curve but its tough with online shopping.
ashtray is offline   Reply With Quote