follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 11-18-2014, 09:10 PM   #1
Joakim3

Drives: 04' Saab 9-5 Aero
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Cayman GT4 (spyshots)

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/sp...ed-88982.html#

Well..... fuck, does that thing look evil

Finally there showing the Cayman some well deserved love

You know what they say... pick two: cheap, fast, reliable.
Joakim3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 09:12 AM   #2
BRZZZZZZZZZZ
Car Nut

Drives: BMW 335d, Toyota Echo RS, FRS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
So much want. Except I want a Boxster version.

Lotto win here I come!
BRZZZZZZZZZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 09:33 AM   #3
jlugo711

Drives: 2014 GT86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Man, do I love Porsche.
jlugo711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 12:47 PM   #4
rice_classic

Drives: Nevermorange FRS
Thanked 4,200 Times in 1,803 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
wow, sports cars are getting uglier.

Not a reflection on the people who do like it as tastes differ but it seems like sports car aesthetics have taken a turn for the worse. It's like manufacturers are designing cars to only appeal to *tastes* of 18 year old boys (even though, to some degree we all have those tastes). Overly aggressive/angry facades, sharp edges, sharp angles etc. No curves, nothing flows any more and it seems like fascias either emulate an animal (like a guppy or a spider) or an angry face or a smiley face. Can't a car just look like a car a not be personified? (rhetorical).

Like Joakim says: "That looks evil". Exactly my point. While "evil" is an appealing attribute to some, when I think about the top 5 gorgeous sports cars, "evil" is not a characteristic any of them possess.

Once again.. I'm an old man in a young body. So get off my lawn!
Old 11-19-2014, 03:32 PM   #5
dem00n
Member of the year - 2016

Drives: Scion FRS
Thanked 2,427 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_classic View Post

Not a reflection on the people who do like it as tastes differ but it seems like sports car aesthetics have taken a turn for the worse. It's like manufacturers are designing cars to only appeal to *tastes* of 18 year old boys (even though, to some degree we all have those tastes). Overly aggressive/angry facades, sharp edges, sharp angles etc. No curves, nothing flows any more and it seems like fascias either emulate an animal (like a guppy or a spider) or an angry face or a smiley face. Can't a car just look like a car a not be personified? (rhetorical).

Like Joakim says: "That looks evil". Exactly my point. While "evil" is an appealing attribute to some, when I think about the top 5 gorgeous sports cars, "evil" is not a characteristic any of them possess.

Que?

Old 11-19-2014, 04:45 PM   #6
Joakim3

Drives: 04' Saab 9-5 Aero
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

We have DB9's, F-Types and AMG GT's for sex appeal and curves.

People don't buy track speck sports cars to look cute and curvy... There serial killers with 4 wheels, something this car would handedly qualify in. There designed to be as fast possible which means über wings, gaping grills and splitters or as we like to call it evil as shit

You know what they say... pick two: cheap, fast, reliable.
Joakim3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 07:59 PM   #7
reni
Nobody beats the B[I|R]Z

Drives: shopping cart i stole from walmart
Thanked 1,145 Times in 456 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
I think it looks great, except for the wing which I'm hoping will fit better aesthetically once it makes it to production...
reni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 08:59 AM   #8
jdmblood

Drives: white subaru brz
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
I think its gonna be way too expensive. The cayman gts already comes in at 70k with no additional options.
jdmblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 12:13 PM   #9
M-17
Ninja Cat Mod

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 6,254 Times in 2,673 Posts
Mentioned: 149 Post(s)
Garage
It looks... just okay. I honestly prefer the style of the Boxster over the Cayman.

Education is Important, but Race Cars are more Importanter
M-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to M-17 For This Useful Post:
BRZZZZZZZZZZ (11-20-2014)
Old 11-20-2014, 01:23 PM   #10
ST185RC

Drives: White Out FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
it seems like sports car aesthetics have taken a turn for the worse. It's like manufacturers are designing cars to only appeal to *tastes* of 18 year old boys (even though, to some degree we all have those tastes). Overly aggressive/angry facades, sharp edges, sharp angles etc. No curves, nothing flows any more and it seems like fascias either emulate an animal (like a guppy or a spider) or an angry face or a smiley face. Can't a car just look like a car a not be personified? (rhetorical).

Err..... Are you talking about the Cayman that OP posted in question? I'm failing to see where there are overly aggressive sharp edges on the overall shapely lines of the car. Front fascia sure, looks like a mean kid with a bad tooth:gum ratio.

But from an objective standpoint, there doesn't seem to be a single place where you can put a standard 15" grade-school ruler to any surface on the body of this Porsche (spoiler included) to have it sit perfectly flat and level. This isn't a Volvo we're talking about. Even American cars like the Vette and 'Stang have become less edgy and more curvacious.

The only thing I can say about newer sports cars are that they are getting more and more bloated and none of them exhibit that "Raw" feeling.
ST185RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 02:53 PM   #11
Levi

Drives: Toyota
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST185RC View Post
The only thing I can say about newer sports cars are that they are getting more and more bloated and none of them exhibit that "Raw" feeling.

+100000000000

They have on two seats but have the size of a huge sedan. Haveyou seen how big the 458 Italia is? Or any other sports car for that matter? No wonder sedans like E AMG, Panamera and M5 are delivering close performance with much more luxury and utility. Even the Cayman is too big.
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 03:19 PM   #12
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST185RC View Post
But from an objective standpoint, there doesn't seem to be a single place where you can put a standard 15" grade-school ruler to any surface on the body of this Porsche (spoiler included) to have it sit perfectly flat and level. This isn't a Volvo we're talking about. Even American cars like the Vette and 'Stang have become less edgy and more curvacious.

I think the door might fit the bill as far as the ruler test goes.

Unfortunately raw seems like a thing of the past for the most part. The Cayman's "snout" is way longer than it has to be (I guess it's fitting for its name lol) and blocks visibility, my main issue with the car. I think they did good in the styling department by making the ducting and rear end look more organic, but I wish they kept the wheelbase at 987 or 986 length and shrunk the wheels a bit. I would prefer a slightly lower seating position but I can understand why they didn't do that. Oh yea, I hate the gigantic bling bling wheels that come on cars these days (that add a ton of mass for no reason), and Porsche insists on using wheels that are way too big in weird bolt patterns.

If the "baby Boxster" rumors are true maybe we'll get a smaller car that is actually fun to drive, but I'm not expecting anything.
serialk11r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 03:40 PM   #13
Ammonia

Drives: Whiteout FRS, Audi A4, 135i (sold)
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
For years, the Cayman has been sitting in the shadow of the 911, always liked buy never loved.

What the fuck kind of article is this? Spelling typo in the headline, gg

BRZZZZZZZZZZ (11-20-2014), kodyo (11-20-2014)
Old 11-20-2014, 04:50 PM   #14
chrisl

Drives: 2006 Cayman S, 2007 Outback 2.5i
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by serialk11r View Post
Unfortunately raw seems like a thing of the past for the most part. The Cayman's "snout" is way longer than it has to be (I guess it's fitting for its name lol) and blocks visibility, my main issue with the car. I think they did good in the styling department by making the ducting and rear end look more organic, but I wish they kept the wheelbase at 987 or 986 length and shrunk the wheels a bit.
The 981 is almost identical in all external dimensions to the 987, and the wheelbase is only 2 inches longer. It's not at all a big car.

(That having been said, I agree that cars come with wheels that are too big these days - 17-18" is perfect on most sports cars, not the 19-20" monstrosities that you see now)
chrisl is offline   Reply With Quote