follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 02-06-2019, 08:47 AM   #15
J1Avs

Drives: 2018 BRZ tS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaItalia View Post
you misspoke, here, i fix...whatever nonsense poops into their head
J1Avs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 09:52 AM   #16
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaItalia View Post
you misspoke, here, i fix...whatever nonsense poops into their head
And that is just the ones that start the ball rolling. All the others that simply parrot the bull by saying "according to madeupautocrap.com the ..." are regurgitating that poop. They aren't even bright enough to make up their own poop.
Old 02-06-2019, 10:34 AM   #17
Th3rdSun

Drives: 2013 FR-S MT Hot Lava
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by J1Avs View Post

People screaming at a $50k Supra also just blows my mind. At its highest price, the last gen approached $50K, and that was over 20 years ago when $50K was much more money. Even its $40K price point would be about $65k today. With the trend of the NSX and GT-R, if anything, I’m surprised it came in at 50K and not higher.
It's not that it's $50k,it's that it's $50k and you get less for your money than say a 370Z Nismo,which is $5k less,more power,and offered in a manual.Hell,you can get the non Nismo version and have more power for $20k less!

I feel like if if this car was 400hp out of the box,no one would complain about the price.I know that people will tune it and squeeze more power out of it,but anyone that thinks this motor will do what the 2JZ was able to do might be a tad bit more that optimistic,and that's where the value of the Mark IV is,even if it's $60k+ in today's money.
Th3rdSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 10:36 AM   #18
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew4554 View Post
I want them to kill the 86. So all of our cars will be a collectors.
Eh the more that get made, the more that get wrecked, the more I can buy to rebuild.
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave-ROR For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (02-06-2019)
Old 02-06-2019, 10:37 AM   #19
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Quote:
This quote from Tada to R&T makes it sound like the 86 has a solid future; otherwise their would be no concern of manual (especially the 4cylinder) Supra poaching the 86 market. I haven’t seen this discussed much, especially with all the recent fake news flowing out over the last week or so:

Tada explained that the potential for a manual Supra is complicated by the positioning of the 86, which, of course, offers a stick shift. "I don't want to sound too business-y, but I also need to support the 86. Looking at the role of the 86 and the role of the Supra, I want to differentiate, make sure they each have their own identity," he said. "If the Supra had a manual transmission, there's nowhere for the 86 to go."

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-sho...-future-plans/
Or... they just didn't want to pay for all the testing required to offer both transmissions on a niche car.
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dave-ROR For This Useful Post:
J1Avs (02-06-2019), Rampage (02-10-2019), Tcoat (02-06-2019)
Old 02-06-2019, 11:11 AM   #20
J1Avs

Drives: 2018 BRZ tS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3rdSun View Post
It's not that it's $50k,it's that it's $50k and you get less for your money than say a 370Z Nismo,which is $5k less,more power,and offered in a manual.Hell,you can get the non Nismo version and have more power for $20k less!

I feel like if if this car was 400hp out of the box,no one would complain about the price.I know that people will tune it and squeeze more power out of it,but anyone that thinks this motor will do what the 2JZ was able to do might be a tad bit more that optimistic,and that's where the value of the Mark IV is,even if it's $60k+ in today's money.
I get that, but you could use that argument for just about any car that happens to be cheaper/more powerful than a car more expensive than it. Take the American horsepower wars going on. You could argue all of those vehicles are better value than say a Porsche, McLaren, etc. that costs substantially more money. Power to Dollar isn’t the only factor at play here. They are marketing it as a higher end vehicle. Also on the 370Z, that argument would stand that you can get much more car from a Mustang GT/Camaro SS for about the same pride as a 370Z.

Re: the 370Z. It’s a solid vehicle, but definitely doesn’t have the interior refinements of a 2019, simply because it’s pretty much still a car built in 2009. I do love the new Nismo’s and seriously considered one before picking up my tS, but I wouldn’t be surprised that when/if Nissan comes out with a new Z, if it won’t see similar pricing, or at least a decent price hike.

But hey, we all have our opinions of its price, what’s worth it or not, etc. None of us are right or wrong, it’s just what is important to the individual. Hell, people think getting the tS was stupid, I say hogwash to that, I love my car and it’s worth every stupid penny I’ve dumped into it!

Last edited by J1Avs; 02-06-2019 at 11:24 AM.
J1Avs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 02:01 PM   #21
Tcoat

Quote:
I get that, but you could use that argument for just about any car that happens to be cheaper/more powerful than a car more expensive than it. Take the American horsepower wars going on. You could argue all of those vehicles are better value than say a Porsche, McLaren, etc. that costs substantially more money. Power to Dollar isn’t the only factor at play here. They are marketing it as a higher end vehicle. Also on the 370Z, that argument would stand that you can get much more car from a Mustang GT/Camaro SS for about the same pride as a 370Z.

Re: the 370Z. It’s a solid vehicle, but definitely doesn’t have the interior refinements of a 2019, simply because it’s pretty much still a car built in 2009. I do love the new Nismo’s and seriously considered one before picking up my tS, but I wouldn’t be surprised that when/if Nissan comes out with a new Z, if it won’t see similar pricing, or at least a decent price hike.

But hey, we all have our opinions of its price, what’s worth it or not, etc. None of us are right or wrong, it’s just what is important to the individual. Hell, people think getting the tS was stupid, I say hogwash to that, I love my car and it’s worth every stupid penny I’ve dumped into it!
And the $30K version is not the same standard as the $45K version.

Much like the 86 people want a whole shopping list of things for half the price it costs to make the car and then get all indigent because they feel they are being ripped off at the actual price. This of course leads to poor comparisons in order to support their belief.
bkharmony (02-07-2019), J1Avs (02-06-2019)
Old 02-06-2019, 02:39 PM   #22
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I would love to believe the new Supra is a better car than an ancient 370z. In every way. Even without a manual.

It will be interesting to see what happens when they start actually appearing.

Anyways, 2nd gen 86? No interest here. Just another car the internet will pan and "enthusiasts" will despise.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 02:49 PM   #23
FR-Sky

Drives: 2013 FR-S 10 series [755]
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Planning to drive my 1st gen 86 until 200k miles
FR-Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 06:15 PM   #24
Dadillac

Drives: 2018 Ford Mustang EB Premium 6M
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Wow it's amazing how all threads morph into a "Supra" thread. I know that the 2nd gen 86 pic is an independent rendering. It was just that it was the first time I saw it and could not believe how incredibly ugly it was to my eyes. I in no way was insinuating that I thought this was the future of the twins. I would be open to trading my car early if the next gen has the FA24 turbo but not if it looked like that. Just my story and I'm sticking to it

Don
Tcoat (02-06-2019)
Old 02-06-2019, 09:05 PM   #25
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadillac View Post
Wow it's amazing how all threads morph into a "Supra" thread. I know that the 2nd gen 86 pic is an independent rendering. It was just that it was the first time I saw it and could not believe how incredibly ugly it was to my eyes. I in no way was insinuating that I thought this was the future of the twins. I would be open to trading my car early if the next gen has the FA24 turbo but not if it looked like that. Just my story and I'm sticking to it

Don
Wasn't you I was yelling at it was the damn clickbaits using the same homemade render for every article they write on the 86.People will see that monstrosity and think it is in some way a leaked official picture because that is what the site wants them to think.
The Supra was relevant to the conversation not as a comparison but by the clear statement that they don't want to have each model cross over each other. That pretty much excludes a big HP boost for the 86.
That said if they go with the new engine do not expect the next gen 86 to be much like the current one. It very well could look like one of the fantasy renders.
Old 02-07-2019, 02:16 AM   #26
86MLR

Drives: 2002 VX Commodore SS LS1 Auto
Thanked 2,185 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Are the rendered vents functional?

86MLR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 86MLR For This Useful Post:
Dave-ROR (02-07-2019), Tcoat (02-07-2019)
Old 02-07-2019, 01:42 PM   #27
Th3rdSun

Drives: 2013 FR-S MT Hot Lava
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:

The thing is,those arguments are made on a daily basis,and are valid.When cars that cost $100k+ are getting outperformed by cars that are half the price,what are you paying for other than the name? Maybe reliability? Maybe resellability? If you say yes to those two,then it's probably worth it from an investment standpoint. If you are just paying extra money for a badge or status symbol,then is it really worth it? I guess it really depends on the individual.

Ultimately,the only reason why there aren't any wrong answers is because those cars that are "overpriced" for the performance are still getting made and enough people are buying them. I guess the market will always determine what's worth it or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwolf View Post
Anyways, 2nd gen 86? No interest here. Just another car the internet will pan and "enthusiasts" will despise.
So the only reason that you aren't interested in a 2nd gen 86 is because of what the internet might say about it?
Th3rdSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 02:00 PM   #28
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Meanwhile, here's a leaked photo of the second generation BRZ "Skorpion" concept, set to go into production when Toyota separates from Subaru:

extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to extrashaky For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (02-07-2019)