follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 01-05-2015, 09:20 AM   #1
irax

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ WRB
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
BRZ has a higher perceived value ?

So it has been almost 60 days since I got my '15 BRZ in WRB. And it is my first time getting a brand new car. But I didn't realize how much of an attention getter it is. I mean its 100% stock. But almost every time I go to the gas station some one asks "What did you do to get that car". I tried explaining its a really affordable car, and it isn't until I tell them how much I'm paying that they realize that its an affordable car.

I'm just curious has anyone else experienced this with a stock car ?
irax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 09:23 AM   #2
BRZZZZZZZZZZ
Car Nut

Drives: BMW 335d, Toyota Echo RS, FRS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
When I first got mine I had a few people like that.

Now its "You could have bought something nicer for how far you are into that damn car"
BRZZZZZZZZZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BRZZZZZZZZZZ For This Useful Post:
Dream20b (01-06-2015), Model Citizen (01-09-2015)
Old 01-05-2015, 09:23 AM   #3
adamg

Drives: brz
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by irax View Post
So it has been almost 60 days since I got my '15 BRZ in WRB. And it is my first time getting a brand new car. But I didn't realize how much of an attention getter it is. I mean its 100% stock. But almost every time I go to the gas station some one asks "What did you do to get that car". I tried explaining its a really affordable car, and it isn't until I tell them how much I'm paying that they realize that its an affordable car.

yea makes me laugh every time. ive only had mine for a couple months so its still kinda stock but people ask me about it everywhere i go

btw there is a million threads about this
adamg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 09:49 AM   #4
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamg View Post
btw there is a million threads about this
There are threads about everything. Time to close down the board.

It has happened to me occasionally. Once I was getting out of my car at a client's office when a lady getting out of her own vehicle shouted across the parking lot, "I wish I could afford a car like that!"

She was getting out of a $50K Lexus SUV.

I particularly like the jealous Mustang owners. Their reactions to the car have been hilarious. One guy came up to me at the gas station and asked about it. After we chatted for a moment, he just stood there in the middle of the lane, staring at it with a kind of sad look on his face. His car would leave mine in the dust, yet his demeanor said he'd bought the wrong car.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to extrashaky For This Useful Post:
chaoskaze (01-06-2015), funwheeldrive (01-08-2015), lastexile1987 (01-05-2015), Mr.Impreza (01-05-2015)
Old 01-06-2015, 05:06 AM   #5
Choco
Embarrassed Doge

Drives: Shibaru BRZ
Thanked 1,674 Times in 668 Posts
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Garage
I've had mostly negative experiences from people thinking my car is expensive. A hobo once put his hand inside and was feeling my interior door trim. Random people go up to me asking for money. Ignorant people looking at me with jealousy in their eyes... Sigh... Our cars are supposed to be a modest sports car but people just assume it's fast or expensive.
Choco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 05:57 AM   #6
CyberFormula

Drives: gti, nsx, integra type r,porsche911
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choco View Post
I've had mostly negative experiences from people thinking my car is expensive. A hobo once put his hand inside and was feeling my interior door trim. Random people go up to me asking for money. Ignorant people looking at me with jealousy in their eyes... Sigh... Our cars are supposed to be a modest sports car but people just assume it's fast or expensive.
It is expensive...

It depends on your perception.

It is expensive for what you get, it is expensive compared to a commoner Impreza or corolla
Old 01-06-2015, 09:48 AM   #7
JERM^

Drives: WRB BRZ Aozora 15'
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Honestly, when I finally pulled the trigger and bought the car, I didn't even think this was gonna be a problem. I'm just thinking with the amount of this car running on the street and especially with it rocking either a scion or a Subaru badge people wouldn't be doing this. Yet this is happening a lot more often than I like. There are the people who go: "so you got an 86? Nice choice" and that's good. What I hate is now my coworkers think I make a lot, people on the street thinks I'm rich. Now I'm even too nervous to drive it downtown at all. I just don't want drunk hobos coming to me and smashing on my window. Yet my car is only with 30k
JERM^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 10:02 AM   #8
ThreeZzZ
Agent X

Drives: BRZ Sports Tech
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by irax View Post

Tbh with you. You're not the only one. I get asked this question like after every week.

[quote=BRZZZZZZZZZZ;2077865

Now its "You could have bought something nicer for how far you are into that damn car"[/QUOTE]

^^^^what do u mean by this???
We r driving a damn nice car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERM^ View Post
Honestly, when I finally pulled the trigger and bought the car, I didn't even think this was gonna be a problem. I'm just thinking with the amount of this car running on the street and especially with it rocking either a scion or a Subaru badge people wouldn't be doing this. Yet this is happening a lot more often than I like. There are the people who go: "so you got an 86? Nice choice" and that's good. What I hate is now my coworkers think I make a lot, people on the street thinks I'm rich. Now I'm even too nervous to drive it downtown at all. I just don't want drunk hobos coming to me and smashing on my window. Yet my car is only with 30k
I can not agree with you any further. Ppl are just living a life with a mind set and never want to do any kind of research.

What I personally say is that it's like "Finder's Keeper" philosophy.

Who ever will find/search more with get to keep the best(find a good deal).

Rest, I'm scared of cops now. I got pulled over like 5 times just coz I was driving on 107km in a 100km zone.
No ticket received but such a time waste like seriously. Get a life and buy a fkn legendary ride.
Old 01-06-2015, 11:35 AM   #9
Hydaral

Drives: 2014 Toyota GT86 Pearl White
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I think people associate the shape with expensive European cars. IMO, a little of the Panamera, a little of this:

Hydaral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 12:03 PM   #10
Ganthrithor

Drives: '13 BRZ, '06 997, Other Things(TM)
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Hahaha, this is exactly what I told my friend when he was trying to decide between a new BRZ or a used Cayman. He's in his early 20's and thought people would judge him for driving a Porsche around. I told him he'd probably catch a similar amount of shit for driving a BRZ, and that the Camry crowd would resent him if he drove anything remotely interesting anyway, so why not just ball out and drive what you like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydaral View Post
I think people associate the shape with expensive European cars. IMO, a little of the Panamera, a little of this:

This one?

http://www.speedmonkey.co.uk/2013/09...uenced-by.html
Ganthrithor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 12:55 PM   #11
Stang70Fastback
A.K.A. Starlord

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Thanked 2,099 Times in 834 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I admit I'm torn. On the one hand, it's nice that people assume it's a much more expensive car than it is. At least that means the styling isn't terrible, and it does look 'nice' to others too.

HOWEVER, every time I get into a discussion about it, I wind up trying to find a way to work the cost of the car into the conversation, because I don't want people to think it's super expensive and that I'm a) living beyond my means, or b) making a shit ton of money when I'm not.
I met up with friends the other day that I hadn't seen in years, and they were enamoured with the car. We went to a diner for lunch, and when the bill came, they jokingly said, "he's got the nice car, he should pay for everyone!" At least I hope it was a joke, but I got the sense they were partly serious. I'm probably just over thinking it, but there ARE people who have flatly asked how I can afford it, so now I assume everyone thinks that. I don't really blame them. They aren't all car people, so all they see is a presumably expensive sports car...
Stang70Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 04:35 PM   #12
pinski
Stole my avy from zGrinch

Drives: 2015 Audi S3
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang70Fastback View Post
I admit I'm torn. On the one hand, it's nice that people assume it's a much more expensive car than it is. At least that means the styling isn't terrible, and it does look 'nice' to others too.

HOWEVER, every time I get into a discussion about it, I wind up trying to find a way to work the cost of the car into the conversation, because I don't want people to think it's super expensive and that I'm a) living beyond my means, or b) making a shit ton of money when I'm not.
I met up with friends the other day that I hadn't seen in years, and they were enamoured with the car. We went to a diner for lunch, and when the bill came, they jokingly said, "he's got the nice car, he should pay for everyone!" At least I hope it was a joke, but I got the sense they were partly serious. I'm probably just over thinking it, but there ARE people who have flatly asked how I can afford it, so now I assume everyone thinks that. I don't really blame them. They aren't all car people, so all they see is a presumably expensive sports car...
I ran into the same thing when I had my Lexus. People saw the badge and assumed it was a $50k+ car. I bought it CPO... my logic at the time was I could have a RWD entry level luxury sedan with a manual for $30k or a brand new Accord V6 with the same equipment for the same price. When I told them it was as much as their Accord, they were very surprised, but the same goes for the twins.

2015 Audi /S3 | Panther Black | DSG
Gone...2014 BRZ, 2010 Lexus IS F-Sport, 2006 Mazda MX5, 1997 Mustang GT
pinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 04:52 PM   #13
BRZZZZZZZZZZ
Car Nut

Drives: BMW 335d, Toyota Echo RS, FRS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeZzZ View Post
Tbh with you. You're not the only one. I get asked this question like after every week.

^^^^what do u mean by this???
We r driving a damn nice car.

I can not agree with you any further. Ppl are just living a life with a mind set and never want to do any kind of research.

What I personally say is that it's like "Finder's Keeper" philosophy.

Who ever will find/search more with get to keep the best(find a good deal).

Rest, I'm scared of cops now. I got pulled over like 5 times just coz I was driving on 107km in a 100km zone.
No ticket received but such a time waste like seriously. Get a life and buy a fkn legendary ride.
For the amount I have spent modding my car, I could have nearly bought a brand new C7 Corvette, lightly used Cayman or Elise S/C, or something else.
BRZZZZZZZZZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 04:55 PM   #14
ThreeZzZ
Agent X

Drives: BRZ Sports Tech
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZZZZZZZZZZ View Post
For the amount I have spent modding my car, I could have nearly bought a brand new C7 Corvette, lightly used Cayman or Elise S/C, or something else.
No way... Really..

DAMN man go easy on ur spending man. Lol