follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
RR Racing
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-19-2019, 09:41 AM   #1
prandelia
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Drives: 2015 FRS
Location: KY
Posts: 29
Thanks: 0
Thanked 25 Times in 17 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Harmonic Resonance/vibration question

Hi guys, this car is brand new to me, so never driven it on street, only as fully built race car. So on my first race weekend, I noticed around 5500 RPM's or so, there is a big vibration in the car, you notice it more in higher gears since it takes longer to rev through that range.

I have stiffer motor, trans mounts, along with the fluidamper crank pulley, and the ACT HD clutch with Street-lite flywheel, etc. so obviously everything will be amplified, but I'm just wondering is this a normal vibration? Do others with similar race cars know about or feel this vibration/harmonic? I thought I noticed on the Fluidampr test info about their pulley that there is a big natural harmonic around 5500.

Just trying to deduce quickly if it's a vibration from another component (like my AL driveshaft), or just a natural harmonic of the engine at those RPM's. Will save me a lot of trial and error hunting for it. Thanks for the input peeps!
__________________
'15 FRS - GLTC spec

prandelia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to prandelia For This Useful Post:
86_IT (09-19-2019)
Old 09-19-2019, 10:43 AM   #2
Dzmitry
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ Limited with PP
Location: Phildalphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 25
Thanks: 9
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
From personal experience, I don't have any more particular vibrations at 5500 RPM or any RPMS around that on a mostly stock car. I would believe the trans and motor mounts to be the main cause of your vibrations as this has been stated by many to increase cabin vibration and give the car a harsher feel.
Dzmitry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 11:35 AM   #3
NoHaveMSG
Senior Member
 
NoHaveMSG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Drives: 13' BRZ
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,182
Thanks: 758
Thanked 805 Times in 489 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
I got a lot of NVH in that range after I went to an aluminum 1 piece drive shaft.
NoHaveMSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 11:48 AM   #4
mav1178
Senior Member
 
mav1178's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Location: 91745
Posts: 6,249
Thanks: 482
Thanked 5,714 Times in 2,850 Posts
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Big vibration is usually something big that has excessive movement.

Start with the driveshaft.
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 12:07 PM   #5
Dzmitry
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ Limited with PP
Location: Phildalphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 25
Thanks: 9
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
I am no expert on this subject, so my thought process may be misleading. But I would think that there is more excessive movement in an engine and transmission than a driveshaft. The driveshaft SHOULD be balanced properly and not cause any vibration issues with its balanced rotation. Sound may increase from an aluminum driveshaft, but it should not cause vibrations unless you have a defective driveshaft. Again, I could be very wrong, and am ready to be corrected if so, but just taking a good guess at it.

Driveshaft vibration related issues:
https://www.machineservice.com/techn...tional-issues/
Dzmitry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 12:14 PM   #6
NoHaveMSG
Senior Member
 
NoHaveMSG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Drives: 13' BRZ
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,182
Thanks: 758
Thanked 805 Times in 489 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzmitry View Post
I am no expert on this subject, so my thought process may be misleading. But I would think that there is more excessive movement in an engine and transmission than a driveshaft. The driveshaft SHOULD be balanced properly and not cause any vibration issues with its balanced rotation. Sound may increase from an aluminum driveshaft, but it should not cause vibrations unless you have a defective driveshaft. Again, I could be very wrong, and am ready to be corrected if so, but just taking a good guess at it.

Driveshaft vibration related issues:
https://www.machineservice.com/techn...tional-issues/
Think it has more to do with the fact that most aftermarket drive shafts are one piece and not two with a carrier barring like the OEM one, then the properties of AL exaggerating the issue more. I went from not having much vibration, to having a lot in similar RPM range the OP is describing. Only change was the drive shaft.
NoHaveMSG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NoHaveMSG For This Useful Post:
Dzmitry (09-19-2019)
Old 09-19-2019, 04:07 PM   #7
prandelia
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Drives: 2015 FRS
Location: KY
Posts: 29
Thanks: 0
Thanked 25 Times in 17 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Yeah, that is interesting, and comforting at the same time. It is also worth noting that I have SPL solid subframe bushings, and we "raised" the subframe about 0.5" toward the body (to allow for better axle angles after lowering the car), and this also slightly affects the drive angles. Nothing extreme, but it seems it may be more related simply to the AL construction than anything else, given others also note the same vibration.

The easy way to find out is to slap my OE drive shaft back in, and if it goes away, then we have our answer. Perhaps CF driveshaft would be better.

I bought my AL one locally for only $200 so couldn't resist it, so it's not a huge deal if I move away from it. It definitely felt like more of a "whole car" vibration, and while I've felt engine harmonics that bad, I can see how it might be the AL driveshaft as well.

Anybody with CF driveshafts notice anything similar?
__________________
'15 FRS - GLTC spec

prandelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 04:46 PM   #8
new2subaru
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Drives: 15 FR-S
Location: Ontario
Posts: 1,852
Thanks: 3,578
Thanked 1,594 Times in 954 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by prandelia View Post
Yeah, that is interesting, and comforting at the same time. It is also worth noting that I have SPL solid subframe bushings, and we "raised" the subframe about 0.5" toward the body (to allow for better axle angles after lowering the car), and this also slightly affects the drive angles. Nothing extreme, but it seems it may be more related simply to the AL construction than anything else, given others also note the same vibration.

The easy way to find out is to slap my OE drive shaft back in, and if it goes away, then we have our answer. Perhaps CF driveshaft would be better.

I bought my AL one locally for only $200 so couldn't resist it, so it's not a huge deal if I move away from it. It definitely felt like more of a "whole car" vibration, and while I've felt engine harmonics that bad, I can see how it might be the AL driveshaft as well.


Anybody with CF driveshafts notice anything similar?
I have a CF driveshaft and have vibration between 105-115kmph. I turned it ten different ways to Sunday and it didnít go away. Iím going to try and fit it better in the winter.
new2subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 05:33 PM   #9
NoHaveMSG
Senior Member
 
NoHaveMSG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Drives: 13' BRZ
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,182
Thanks: 758
Thanked 805 Times in 489 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2subaru View Post
I have a CF driveshaft and have vibration between 105-115kmph. I turned it ten different ways to Sunday and it didnít go away. Iím going to try and fit it better in the winter.
I have flipped mine every way I could and only saw marginal improvement. Of course the first way I installed it was the worse. I don't think driveshaft shop is very careful with balancing.
NoHaveMSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 06:23 PM   #10
prandelia
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Drives: 2015 FRS
Location: KY
Posts: 29
Thanks: 0
Thanked 25 Times in 17 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
I have flipped mine every way I could and only saw marginal improvement. Of course the first way I installed it was the worse. I don't think driveshaft shop is very careful with balancing.
Yeah, was thinking to re-index and see if it gets to an acceptable level.
__________________
'15 FRS - GLTC spec

prandelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 06:56 PM   #11
Goingnowherefast
Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Drives: AP2 S2000, 91 Miata 1.8L Rotrex 5MT
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 71
Thanks: 16
Thanked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Powertrain NVH engineer here...

I'm going to have two answers here, and feel free to ask me anything on the subject.

Short answer:

Without high-resolution noise/vibration data with a high resolution encoder or optical tachometer, it is effectively impossible to pin-point the source of a resonant vibration. However, if you can give me a relatively high quality video (with good in-car audio NO WIND NOISE) with CANbus RPM reading I can point you in the right direction.

Long answer:

There's multiple techniques we use to pin-point the root cause of a noise/vibration. Most notably, we use high resolution data to analyze the amplitude of the order content. An "order" is something that occur "X" times during a rotation event. In ICE applications, there's quite a few things rotating but the most important tends to be the crankshaft. Thus, we can figure out whether a noise/vibe is being caused by the combustion cycle of an engine by measuring the amplitude of source vs. engine RPM. In a four stroke, four cylinder a firing event will occur twice every revolution, meaning the primary order content of a four cylinder engine will be 2nd order.

Easy enough right? A high amplitude 2nd order indicates that the actual combustion of the engine is driving that vibration. The issue, is that there's obviously a LOT of things moving and spinning in an engine. You have alternators, A/C Compressors, Water Pumps all ran directly off of the crankshaft (all rotate at different rates depending on the pulley diameter) and you also have the things connected I.E the driveline. In this case, there will be torsional vibration transmitted through the crankshaft to the harmonic damper and the flywheel. Like you mentioned, harmonic dampers are tuned to damp a specific frequency spectrum. In the case of viscous fluid dampers, they target a broad frequency spectrum as opposed to traditional dampers which target quite a small frequency band. Past that, you have moving parts in the transmission (input/output shaft, ring/sun gears), driveshafts (you mentioned you have an aluminum driveshaft), and the differential. Order content can be looked at based on the # events per rotation. Additionally, every material has a natural resonant frequency (steel is different than aluminum etc.) which can create horrible noises, shakes etc.

So in the end, the real answer is extremely convoluted and complex. But if you want to give it a try, send me a video mentioned above (preferably a 3rd gear WOT up to max RPM) and I'll see what I can do.
__________________
2017 Subaru BRZ w/ PP - Delicious Tuning S2+ Flex Fuel/Tomei UEL/Invidia FP
Goingnowherefast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Goingnowherefast For This Useful Post:
Subsonic (09-25-2019)
Old 09-19-2019, 07:08 PM   #12
NoHaveMSG
Senior Member
 
NoHaveMSG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Drives: 13' BRZ
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,182
Thanks: 758
Thanked 805 Times in 489 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goingnowherefast View Post
Powertrain NVH engineer here...

I'm going to have two answers here, and feel free to ask me anything on the subject.

Short answer:

Without high-resolution noise/vibration data with a high resolution encoder or optical tachometer, it is effectively impossible to pin-point the source of a resonant vibration. However, if you can give me a relatively high quality video (with good in-car audio NO WIND NOISE) with CANbus RPM reading I can point you in the right direction.

Long answer:

There's multiple techniques we use to pin-point the root cause of a noise/vibration. Most notably, we use high resolution data to analyze the amplitude of the order content. An "order" is something that occur "X" times during a rotation event. In ICE applications, there's quite a few things rotating but the most important tends to be the crankshaft. Thus, we can figure out whether a noise/vibe is being caused by the combustion cycle of an engine by measuring the amplitude of source vs. engine RPM. In a four stroke, four cylinder a firing event will occur twice every revolution, meaning the primary order content of a four cylinder engine will be 2nd order.

Easy enough right? A high amplitude 2nd order indicates that the actual combustion of the engine is driving that vibration. The issue, is that there's obviously a LOT of things moving and spinning in an engine. You have alternators, A/C Compressors, Water Pumps all ran directly off of the crankshaft (all rotate at different rates depending on the pulley diameter) and you also have the things connected I.E the driveline. In this case, there will be torsional vibration transmitted through the crankshaft to the harmonic damper and the flywheel. Like you mentioned, harmonic dampers are tuned to damp a specific frequency spectrum. In the case of viscous fluid dampers, they target a broad frequency spectrum as opposed to traditional dampers which target quite a small frequency band. Past that, you have moving parts in the transmission (input/output shaft, ring/sun gears), driveshafts (you mentioned you have an aluminum driveshaft), and the differential. Order content can be looked at based on the # events per rotation. Additionally, every material has a natural resonant frequency (steel is different than aluminum etc.) which can create horrible noises, shakes etc.

So in the end, the real answer is extremely convoluted and complex. But if you want to give it a try, send me a video mentioned above (preferably a 3rd gear WOT up to max RPM) and I'll see what I can do.
That's awesome but google "brz one piece driveshaft vibration". It is well documented and frequent that an aftermarket one piece causes a bunch of extra NVH even on a stock car. A recommendation I got from a guy at the track that was retired doing the same thing for Boeing, said to put a wrap of tape a few layers thick about a 1/3 of the way up the driveshaft. I just haven't tried it yet.
NoHaveMSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 08:23 PM   #13
Goingnowherefast
Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Drives: AP2 S2000, 91 Miata 1.8L Rotrex 5MT
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 71
Thanks: 16
Thanked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
That's awesome but google "brz one piece driveshaft vibration". It is well documented and frequent that an aftermarket one piece causes a bunch of extra NVH even on a stock car. A recommendation I got from a guy at the track that was retired doing the same thing for Boeing, said to put a wrap of tape a few layers thick about a 1/3 of the way up the driveshaft. I just haven't tried it yet.
Oh no doubt, a lightweight driveshaft isn't great for NVH. I guess I'm more offering my services if we want to literally find the exact origin of the noise/vibration and offer a solution.
__________________
2017 Subaru BRZ w/ PP - Delicious Tuning S2+ Flex Fuel/Tomei UEL/Invidia FP
Goingnowherefast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 09:05 PM   #14
new2subaru
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Drives: 15 FR-S
Location: Ontario
Posts: 1,852
Thanks: 3,578
Thanked 1,594 Times in 954 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
That's awesome but google "brz one piece driveshaft vibration". It is well documented and frequent that an aftermarket one piece causes a bunch of extra NVH even on a stock car. A recommendation I got from a guy at the track that was retired doing the same thing for Boeing, said to put a wrap of tape a few layers thick about a 1/3 of the way up the driveshaft. I just haven't tried it yet.
What is the tape supposed to accomplish? Iíve seen a video of a guy balancing a driveshaft with hoseclamps.

It appears that the shaft has been balanced. Thereís a few weights glued on it. FWIW, I think the one piece shaft delivers all kinds of vibrations from the rear. It makes sense not having the carrier bushing.

I did notice when I switched track tires that it lessened. Itís still there but not as profound. That or Iím getting used to it lol
new2subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ATI Harmonic Dampner JJD28 Engine, Exhaust, Transmission 19 07-03-2017 05:14 AM
Question weird vibration/camber dillanp86 Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack 10 05-12-2017 11:43 PM
Harmonic Noise from rear Differential at 69 MPH solved Avion Engine, Exhaust, Transmission 0 01-28-2016 09:51 PM
New owner! Question about warranty and brake pedal vibration BBYZILA Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum 2 12-10-2014 01:22 PM
Hood Vibration Question shinbatsu Subaru BRZ General Forum 9 06-17-2014 02:23 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.