follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 08-07-2019, 04:42 PM   #15
ls1ac

Drives: BRZ, Noble M400, AC-LS7,1956 AC
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
I have two recovery rings on the back of my car. I figure if I get hit it will do more damage to there car ,nd if the hit is hard enough to bend the frame then with out them it would do major damage anyway.

Several years ago I had a mini (2003) with recovery rings and I got hit by a guy. The first words out of his mouth when he looked at the damage was "you know my car would not have so much damage if you did not have those things on the back of your car". I thought I wish I had more.
ls1ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 04:54 PM   #16
Noob83

Drives: 2017 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1ac View Post
I have two recovery rings on the back of my car. I figure if I get hit it will do more damage to there car ,nd if the hit is hard enough to bend the frame then with out them it would do major damage anyway.

Several years ago I had a mini (2003) with recovery rings and I got hit by a guy. The first words out of his mouth when he looked at the damage was "you know my car would not have so much damage if you did not have those things on the back of your car". I thought I wish I had more.
I am not knowledgeable about impact against frames, I just know that if my frame gets damaged, there is a good chance my car will be totaled. If I did screw spikes into the tow hook spots would the frame be fine if the hit was from a parking type collision? I would be willing to install both spikes and dash cams if I was confident the spikes would not cause damage to the frame from minor collisions.
Noob83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 05:37 PM   #17
DandoX
Senior gif poster

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan7831 View Post

+1 for the spikes, nothing says F U don't bump me than spikes, and if they do they will get far more damage.
DandoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 05:38 PM   #18
xdavidx
Emperor McDuck

Drives: 2019 86 GT; 2018 BMW S1000RR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noob83 View Post
I am not knowledgeable about impact against frames, I just know that if my frame gets damaged, there is a good chance my car will be totaled. If I did screw spikes into the tow hook spots would the frame be fine if the hit was from a parking type collision? I would be willing to install both spikes and dash cams if I was confident the spikes would not cause damage to the frame from minor collisions.

I don't think those bumper spikes will do much at all. Really just a novelty/style thing. Probably will cause as much damage to your bumper as the person who hits you. They look like they just screw into the bumper cover, so no way that would cause frame damage.
xdavidx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 06:28 PM   #19
Noob83

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdavidx View Post
I don't think those bumper spikes will do much at all. Really just a novelty/style thing. Probably will cause as much damage to your bumper as the person who hits you. They look like they just screw into the bumper cover, so no way that would cause frame damage.
Not those spikes. I'm talking about machining spikes that thread into the tow hook mounts on the car and protrude outward. Just like the license plate mount in this pic:

But instead of having a license plate on it, it just ends in a steel spike.
Old 08-07-2019, 06:45 PM   #20
HKz
Reformed

Drives: '23 GRC, '11 Prius, '04 RAV4
Thanked 1,133 Times in 588 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
^ if ya do that then I pray that you don't accidentally impale anyone
HKz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HKz For This Useful Post:
winstonscifi (08-07-2019)
Old 08-07-2019, 07:07 PM   #21
Noob83

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKz View Post
^ if ya do that then I pray that you don't accidentally impale anyone
If I hit someone with my car, I'm going to be fucked any way about it. The spikes dont have to be sharp. They don't even have to be spikes really, just steel rods protruding an inch or two in front of my bumper would suffice to discourage/prevent people from hitting my car.
Old 08-07-2019, 08:21 PM   #22
norcalpb

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2023 Model 3
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
norcalpb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to norcalpb For This Useful Post:
gravitylover (08-08-2019)
Old 08-07-2019, 09:32 PM   #23
winstonscifi

Drives: 2015 Firestorm Red Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noob83 View Post
If I hit someone with my car, I'm going to be fucked any way about it. The spikes dont have to be sharp. They don't even have to be spikes really, just steel rods protruding an inch or two in front of my bumper would suffice to discourage/prevent people from hitting my car.
What if you hit a pedestrian? I would think that putting something on your car that is intended to do damage would be something that you would think twice about. I know that you are a good driver, and that you would always be in control of your car, but what if you were rear ended, and your car went sideways up onto the sidewalk and impaled innocent bystanders? I'm thinking that you might be held accountable. Before you put something like that on your car, I would certainly call my insurance agent and ask him/her about it. In today's litigious society, even a small bruise could be much more of a problem if it came from something that you added knowingly to your car to cause damage.

Also, and I'm trying to be delicate here....I see that you might have some anger issues - calling the state you live in Commiefornia, and calling Prius owners a$$holes. I don't know you, I'm sure you are a very nice person, and you are just venting....but it might help to keep emotion out of this.

Seriously, I would talk to your insurance agent - they might be able to help out with a solution.
winstonscifi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to winstonscifi For This Useful Post:
HKz (08-08-2019)
Old 08-07-2019, 10:07 PM   #24
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
bumper badger

Old 08-07-2019, 10:31 PM   #25
Will BRZ
Damn that's crazy...

Drives: 2015 BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalpb View Post
Bro that's a damn ski mask lol It might protect against scuffs and chips, but can still get dented upon impact.
Will BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 11:52 PM   #26
sukumizu

Drives: 6MT '15 BRZ | '89 240sx (sold...)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I'm in a big city too and I've seen way too many people fuck up bumpers while trying to parallel park. Best thing to do is find a place that has off-street parking or find private lot where you can pay for parking. $100+ a month is ridiculous but it beats stressing out about insurance or hit and runs.
sukumizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 12:19 AM   #27
James H

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by winstonscifi View Post
What if you hit a pedestrian? I would think that putting something on your car that is intended to do damage would be something that you would think twice about. I know that you are a good driver, and that you would always be in control of your car, but what if you were rear ended, and your car went sideways up onto the sidewalk and impaled innocent bystanders? I'm thinking that you might be held accountable. Before you put something like that on your car, I would certainly call my insurance agent and ask him/her about it. In today's litigious society, even a small bruise could be much more of a problem if it came from something that you added knowingly to your car to cause damage.

Also, and I'm trying to be delicate here....I see that you might have some anger issues - calling the state you live in Commiefornia, and calling Prius owners a$$holes. I don't know you, I'm sure you are a very nice person, and you are just venting....but it might help to keep emotion out of this.

Seriously, I would talk to your insurance agent - they might be able to help out with a solution.
Prius drivers are not a$$holes, I thought Smart Car drivers are. And a$$holes with bad taste I am all for getting good mileage and being green but buying an disgustingly ugly car is not a prerequisite for that.
If the OP does go through with the idea of installing spikes on his bumper! I suggest a new vanity plate “D IMPALER”. After he impales 10 cars, he can upgrade to “DRACULA”
James H is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to James H For This Useful Post:
winstonscifi (08-08-2019)
Old 08-08-2019, 11:24 AM   #28
cliff

Drives: subaru brz
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I like that
cliff is offline   Reply With Quote