follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 05-27-2012, 09:07 PM   #15
(K)
They call me..."Ken"...

Drives: '04 Accord V6 MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
With a winter wheel setup, you'll want to go the less costly route (typically steelies). Road salt, snow, road salt, debris, ROAD SALT, etc. will do a number to your wheels so there's no need to spend any more than you have to on those wheels. Not only that, but you'll also have tires mounted once and not have to worry about seasonal tire changeover on one set of wheels. Just mount once and re-program the TPMS. We had a discussion about TPMS, too. I have to admit I'm not as well-versed on that subject, but I'm sure others will chime in.

For a little light on the subject, go here:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...highlight=TPMS

And here:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...highlight=TPMS

^Above poster beat me to it with the explanation.
(K) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 10:40 PM   #16
Elgancho

Drives: SWP BRZ Limited MT
so i'm in the south with very little snow and i don't think they salt the roads. ok to stick with the stock wheels and just change out the tires each winter?
Elgancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 10:42 PM   #17
moniz

Drives: 2010 Mazda5 GT,2012 Honda Fit Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elgancho View Post
noob question: why buy a whole new set of wheels to go with winter tires? is it that difficult to just switch out your tires twice a year? and why steel?

You don't want to constantly keep swapping tires of/on your rims. The more you do it the more wear on the rim and the tire seal from constantly changing will increase the risk of damage to either since getting tires on/off wheels takes a lot of force. Those machines exert a huge amount of pressure to get the tire on/off, and all it takes is one time, one inexperienced person doing it and you're replacing either a damaged rim or tire. Sure they would probably pay for it but who needs the hassle?! Plus having dedicated winter tire on dedicated wheels makes the change over a breeze, since you don't need to go to a garage to have remove and put on your tires. I do my own change over in my driveway just with the spare tire jack. Take me 1/2hr per car.
Past-'89 Civic Si ('93-'99)-'94 Civic Si ('99-'07)-'07 GTI(Lease)('07-'10)'98 Acura EL ('03-'13)Current-'12 Honda Fit Sport'10 Mazda5 ('10- Family car)No FR-S for me Kids in car seats still and just wouldn't work in an FR-S especially in winter.
moniz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 10:45 PM   #18
ngabdala
Vortech Supercharged

Drives: WRB BRZ 6MT LTD
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Do NOT use All-seasons in the winter , most especially in a RWD car. They are slightly better at best than summer tires. If you're going with summer tires or all seasons in the winter you're better off smashing your car to pieces with a sledgehammer rather than injuring/killing yourself and others along with having a totaled car when you drive it. Then again, you may not be able to get it out of your driveway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K2 View Post
Definitely saving up for all-season/winter tires for the coming fall/winter. Haven't decided whether to put the all-seasons on the stock wheels and get bigger stickier rubber for next summer or what. Plenty of time to think about that at this point.
Old 05-27-2012, 11:47 PM   #19
Bristecom

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ PP
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
I'm just going to keep my AWD Eclipse for winter which already has performance snow tires on it. A lot of people get very aggressive small width, thick sidewall ice tires for winter which I think is a bit excessive and will ruin the handling unless you frequently see snow and want no compromise.

Anyway, I recommend the Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes I've been running them for 5 years and aside from the softer sidewalls, they've been great. They are quiet, comfortable, have good grip and are very predictable at the limit. But again, they aren't the best you can get for snow/ice - just a very good all around winter tire.
Old 05-28-2012, 02:32 AM   #20
YukiHachiRoku
Lex Luger

Drives: 2004 GS430
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-P View Post
Bridgestone Blizzak! (unless your locale allows studded tires, and chains if things get really bad.)
These have always been my favorite winter tires.
YukiHachiRoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 05:41 AM   #21
Racelex

Drives: Impreza GC8
Doesn't take a genius to figure out Summer tires are not going to perform in Winter situations.

The stock all season tires will probably be borderline ok if the tires are still relatively new with EXTREME cautious driving. Anything after the first winter, it's going to be garbage considering you're going to drive through it all summer to the next winter. Dedicated winter tires are ten times better then all seasons in every aspect.

Since I'm guessing most of you folks will keep the car for more then a year, wouldn't it make more sense if you just get winter tires from the start? You're going to have to get it for the second year anyways, why risk on the first year?

I have personally tried all season tires and compared it to nearly worn out winter tires. The winter tires still perform better as the compound doesn't turn rock hard in sub zero temperatures.
Racelex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 07:58 AM   #22
MTeator
First 86

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racelex View Post
The stock all season tires will probably be borderline ok
Just to be clear...the stock tires are summer. the car is not available with all-seasons in the US.
Old 05-28-2012, 11:56 AM   #23
315FR-S

Drives: saab 9-3
Garage
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGfvyPtYR0Y"]Tire Rack Tire Test - All-Season vs. Winter Tires - YouTube[/ame]

ive driven past idiots in suvs and trucks(why do people in jeeps think theyre immune to all weather conditions?) and audis in ditches because they skimped on tires in the winter. a good set of winter tires is key. just think, the speeds in this video are slow. most people dont slow down a whole lot in the winter. you'll never know where that nasty patch of black ice will be. ive never had any difficulties in my little saab driving in upstate ny. The blizzaks are a solid choice of tire.
315FR-S is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 315FR-S For This Useful Post:
chulooz (05-28-2012), YukiHachiRoku (05-29-2012)
Old 05-28-2012, 12:18 PM   #24
no_name

Drives: 2005 Hyundai Accent
If you're buying a new car in a region that gets snow, ask the dealer to throw in a set of steelies with snows to sweeten the deal. It usually works.

GT86: "This car has two steering wheels: one is circular, the other is operated with the right foot."
no_name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 05:41 PM   #25
Nevermore
Wayward Member

Drives: Hot Lava 86
Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,386 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I'm somewhat concerned about this subject. I'm not sure if the lease plan I'm getting will let me change the tires for the winter, or if they're only going to let me have factory tires. I can't remember if I've expressed this concern on this site yet, if I have, sorry for the redundancy.
Nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 07:04 PM   #26
Quentin

Drives: ‘16 4Runner, ‘19 Corolla HB
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevermore View Post
I'm somewhat concerned about this subject. I'm not sure if the lease plan I'm getting will let me change the tires for the winter, or if they're only going to let me have factory tires. I can't remember if I've expressed this concern on this site yet, if I have, sorry for the redundancy.
Are you doing the TEMA lease? I'm doing the same program at WV. My thinking is that they won't complain about you spending your own money for wheels and tires for winter driving. The terms of the lease will not replace your OEM tires with winter tires, though. It will only replace the OEM tires with OEM tires as needed for wear. Technically, you aren't allowed to do aftermarket wheels and tires, but I think they won't complain when you are doing something that is more likely to keep you out of the ditch come winter.

I'm still a year + out from my FR-S and I probably won't do it on the lease program (it makes more sense to put the Prius v on the lease since it will get a bulk of the miles, afterall), but when I do get my FR-S, I'll likely do the same and put snow tires on steelies on the leased Prius for my family's safety.
Quentin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Quentin For This Useful Post:
Nevermore (05-28-2012)
Old 05-28-2012, 07:10 PM   #27
Dang Lad

Drives: Asphalt MT FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elgancho View Post
so i'm in the south with very little snow and i don't think they salt the roads. ok to stick with the stock wheels and just change out the tires each winter?
Interested as well - sounds like it might not be neccesary. Anyone else have thoughts?
Dang Lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 08:52 PM   #28
pete66

Drives: Mazda 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dang Lad View Post
Interested as well - sounds like it might not be neccesary. Anyone else have thoughts?
Steelies will pay for themselves after a couple years by not having to pay a garage twice a year to swap your tires, and as mentioned it causes unnecessary wear to the tires/rims to constantly switch.
pete66 is offline   Reply With Quote