follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 11-26-2019, 07:29 PM   #29
ElijahF
Not funny

Drives: 2019 Subaru BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joveen View Post
OFT sucker following my comments it seems. OFT is bs. The price for that trash is a rip off. Do yourself a favor op and get ecutek.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
I agree. The OFT would be a good choice for a novice if it was like $150-ish, but $500 for a DS with one screen is just ridiculous.

And the V2 just upgraded it to a DSi with one screen instead of a DS.
To me, the FT-86 is a 85% complete package. The driver is supposed to fit the last few items in accordance with his personal preference. As stock, it shows potential, but distinctly deficient and cries out for the 'finishing touch'.
Old 11-26-2019, 07:48 PM   #30
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,305 Times in 7,369 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahF View Post
I agree. The OFT would be a good choice for a novice if it was like $150-ish, but $500 for a DS with one screen is just ridiculous.

And the V2 just upgraded it to a DSi with one screen instead of a DS.
It's not ideal, but for us DIY'ers it is serviceable. I'd rather not try to datalog on track with a tactrix hooked up to my laptop in the car.
The Following User Says Thank You to NoHaveMSG For This Useful Post:
ElijahF (11-26-2019)
Old 11-26-2019, 07:59 PM   #31
spike021

Drives: '17 Limited BRZ CWP w/ PP
Thanked 6,471 Times in 3,207 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
Crying about an off the shelf tune with OFT is no different if you got a bad off the shelf tune from Ecutek.
It's also possible to get a bad custom tune that was simply applied with Ecutek.
It sounds to me like the delicate, metallic sounds of piston skirts slapping against the cylinder walls
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Now, if it was three feet long and you were using all that leverage
The Following User Says Thank You to spike021 For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (11-26-2019)
Old 11-27-2019, 07:54 AM   #32
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Ya, I got one - it works great, really peps that old girl up -

humfrz
Even in 1950 Mazda couldn't make a front end that didn't look ridiculous!

Before I get 100 corrections I know it is not a 1950 Miata
ElijahF (11-27-2019), humfrz (11-27-2019), korhun (11-29-2019)
Old 11-27-2019, 05:52 PM   #33
Cole
Not a troll

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 5,399 Times in 2,694 Posts
Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
OFT sucker following my comments it seems. OFT is bs. The price for that trash is a rip off. Do yourself a favor op and get ecutek.

And how much experience do you have with tuning cars?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cole For This Useful Post:
Boccaccio (12-02-2019), Tcoat (12-02-2019)
Old 12-01-2019, 10:49 PM   #34
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:

I mean, you get the same level of functionality as ecutek if you know what your doing, been using an OFT for a few years now with no issues and a decent power bump with safe datalogging values on e85 and 93.

A tune is only as good as it's tuner.

I'm curious what issues you had with your OFT at some point or had heard?
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
The Following User Says Thank You to FRSBRZGT86FAN For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (12-02-2019)
Old 12-02-2019, 08:14 AM   #35
shiumai

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ, 2020 C8 Corvette
Thanked 1,893 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omnivus View Post
Well anyways, the one I bought plugs into the OBD2 port and then I read that you can't program the ECU from the OBD2 port, so any performance chip that plugs into the ODB2 port is a scam.

Could you tell any difference when you plugged it in?
Old 12-02-2019, 08:41 AM   #36
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole View Post
And how much experience do you have with tuning cars?
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
A tune is only as good as it's tuner.
Old 12-02-2019, 08:52 AM   #37
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Am I the only one who recognized the original post as spam?

Really?

And he got this group to talk about or around his product for three pages without even providing a link. I wonder how many clicks this has generated.
The Following User Says Thank You to extrashaky For This Useful Post:
mav1178 (12-02-2019)
Old 12-02-2019, 10:48 AM   #38
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post

Really?

And he got this group to talk about or around his product for three pages without even providing a link. I wonder how many clicks this has generated.
Worst spam ever then.
"My product sucks and I am not even going to link to it"?
Not spam just a guy wondering if he got ripped off and getting an answer.
Sapphireho (12-02-2019), YamahaR86 (12-02-2019)
Old 12-02-2019, 12:33 PM   #39
extrashaky

Quote:
Worst spam ever then.
"My product sucks and I am not even going to link to it"?
Not spam just a guy wondering if he got ripped off and getting an answer.
No, it's spam, and pretty clever at that. There are a couple of tells:

"Well, the one I ended up buying was from JDM on some performancechiptuning website that actually looks shady now that I think of it."

Nobody except the spammer would type that run together exactly the way the website URL appears. I suspect he originally typed performancechiptuning.com, realized that people would recognize the spam and removed the .com from the end. The first thing most of us would do is search for performancechiptuning to see what the hell he's talking about and find his website at the very top of the search results.

Written that way, he doesn't have to actually link to the site. His marks (or a compatriot posting under a different name) will do it for him.

He's also using a clever substitution technique that Trump often uses for persuasion:

"Well anyways, the one I bought plugs into the OBD2 port and then I read that you can't program the ECU from the OBD2 port, so any performance chip that plugs into the ODB2 port is a scam."

That sets up an irrelevant, unrelated discussion where people who might otherwise immediately say it's a scam find themselves defending his product... against him. It's misdirection that continues to draw attention to his website while people discuss the red herring. The substitution comes when people agree that he's wrong about programming via the OBDII port, so it must also be wrong that "any performance chip that plugs into the ODB2 port is a scam." Logically that doesn't follow, but he has effectively linked them together so that doubt about one leads to doubt about the other.

Finally, he's also using a persuasion technique called "pacing and leading." That's where you identify your mark's position, agree with it to get their buy-in (pacing), then move in the direction you want the mark to follow (leading). It's an extremely effective technique.

It's pretty common for people on automotive message boards to immediately respond to posts about aftermarket chips with derision. So he paces that expected position, starting out saying he thinks the chip he bought is a scam. I strongly suspect that a subsequent poster is a compatriot (or the same guy with a different login) who picks up the leading part and steers people toward thinking some of these products actually are legit. Even if it's not, the leading is still there in the substitution mentioned above.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to extrashaky For This Useful Post:
djenousis (12-20-2019), Spuds (12-02-2019), Will BRZ (12-02-2019)
Old 12-02-2019, 01:07 PM   #40
Tcoat

Quote:
No, it's spam, and pretty clever at that. There are a couple of tells:

"Well, the one I ended up buying was from JDM on some performancechiptuning website that actually looks shady now that I think of it."

Nobody except the spammer would type that run together exactly the way the website URL appears. I suspect he originally typed performancechiptuning.com, realized that people would recognize the spam and removed the .com from the end. The first thing most of us would do is search for performancechiptuning to see what the hell he's talking about and find his website at the very top of the search results.

Written that way, he doesn't have to actually link to the site. His marks (or a compatriot posting under a different name) will do it for him.

He's also using a clever substitution technique that Trump often uses for persuasion:

"Well anyways, the one I bought plugs into the OBD2 port and then I read that you can't program the ECU from the OBD2 port, so any performance chip that plugs into the ODB2 port is a scam."

That sets up an irrelevant, unrelated discussion where people who might otherwise immediately say it's a scam find themselves defending his product... against him. It's misdirection that continues to draw attention to his website while people discuss the red herring. The substitution comes when people agree that he's wrong about programming via the OBDII port, so it must also be wrong that "any performance chip that plugs into the ODB2 port is a scam." Logically that doesn't follow, but he has effectively linked them together so that doubt about one leads to doubt about the other.

Finally, he's also using a persuasion technique called "pacing and leading." That's where you identify your mark's position, agree with it to get their buy-in (pacing), then move in the direction you want the mark to follow (leading). It's an extremely effective technique.

It's pretty common for people on automotive message boards to immediately respond to posts about aftermarket chips with derision. So he paces that expected position, starting out saying he thinks the chip he bought is a scam. I strongly suspect that a subsequent poster is a compatriot (or the same guy with a different login) who picks up the leading part and steers people toward thinking some of these products actually are legit. Even if it's not, the leading is still there in the substitution mentioned above.
Yu could be over analyzing the whole thing.
It is however odd that he never said as much as "thanks guys" even though he was online just this morning.
Old 12-02-2019, 01:14 PM   #41
extrashaky

Quote:
Yu could be over analyzing the whole thing.
But I'm not.

Quote:
It is however odd that he never said as much as "thanks guys" even though he was online just this morning.
I doubt he'll be back. He has no interest in this site. It's a one-and-done spam post for that user ID.
Old 12-02-2019, 02:00 PM   #42
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:

Really?

I would've recognized as spam like you, except I wasn't online for like 5 days.

First reply to OP should've been "good job on the spam", creating demand for something out of nothing just like the US government!
The Following User Says Thank You to mav1178 For This Useful Post:
extrashaky (12-02-2019)

Closed Thread