follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 10-26-2019, 10:04 PM   #1275
nos145
Cognite

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by killmequickly View Post
What is doubtful? That the cause of the fire cannot be proven or that the recall work led to the fire?
both?
nos145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 10:01 AM   #1276
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyBobby View Post
If you are referring to this one: https://www.thedrive.com/news/26958/...-spring-recall the article states, "The car caught fire two weeks and 2,000 miles after having its valve springs replaced."

It also states, "Police and fire aren't investigating it, they were just more concerned no one was hurt and clearing it off the highway," Mike added. "Insurance is more interested in paying out and not investigating cause."

It was never proven that the fire was caused by the recall work, and it's doubtful, given the condition of the car after the fire, that it would be possible.

The owner of this car posted his story on this forum in more detail and to me his description sounded like a rod through the block and then boom it went up in flames. Okay yeah maybe the stars aligned and he threw a rod for reasons other than a shit job done by the dealer but I very seriously doubt it.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 10:32 AM   #1277
RickyBobby

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S AT
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Here's his post: https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show...3&postcount=58

I don't see any more detail in his post than was in The Drive article. https://www.thedrive.com/news/26958/...-spring-recall

From his post, "after 2nd was engaged, heard a pop, saw the hood jump up as if something inside hit it."

From the article, "After second was engaged, [I] heard a pop, saw the hood jump up as if something inside hit it,"

Did a rod go through the block and cause the fire? If yes, was this caused by the valve spring recall work done on his engine 2000 miles prior to the fire?
I would like to believe it did, but without positive proof all we have is speculation and opinions, no hard facts or evidence.
RickyBobby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RickyBobby For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (10-28-2019)
Old 10-29-2019, 12:08 AM   #1278
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyBobby View Post
Here's his post: https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show...3&postcount=58

I don't see any more detail in his post than was in The Drive article. https://www.thedrive.com/news/26958/...-spring-recall

From his post, "after 2nd was engaged, heard a pop, saw the hood jump up as if something inside hit it."

From the article, "After second was engaged, [I] heard a pop, saw the hood jump up as if something inside hit it,"

Did a rod go through the block and cause the fire? If yes, was this caused by the valve spring recall work done on his engine 2000 miles prior to the fire?

I would like to believe it did, but without positive proof all we have is speculation and opinions, no hard facts or evidence.

You skipped over the most important bullet point. He felt the rear loose traction. This is to be expected when you throw a rod. The hood jumping was probably the fire starting due to a thrown rod. But yeah it’s all speculation. Could have been a HP fuel line with damaged clip that let loose. That would still fall under shity work by the dealer. I agree with Tcoat that it’s hard to pin these failures directly on Toyota corporate. Not saying a class action couldn’t work. It’s just not technically Toyota’s fault.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (10-29-2019), Tcoat (10-29-2019)
Old 10-29-2019, 02:35 PM   #1279
Ichima

Drives: 13' Lightning Red Brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ka-t_240 View Post
If SOA is not involved at this point, they need to be. 4 engine failures in a year is clearly red flag as far as this dealership.
SOA has been involved multiple times stating it's up to the dealership to claim fault and if they don't I'm SOL. Up until this last time, the old service manager that is no longer there denied all work until I actually complained enough to Subaru of New England to send a rep out and they put the dealership at fault every time. The new Service manager actually said he would replace my short-block no questions asked and did. But same symptoms of knocking near rod bearing 4 which is on the driver side in the back. Only reason why i know this because that's the rod bearing that failed every time. My next steps may be to contact my local DMV and report the issue because to me this is unacceptable.
Ichima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 03:34 PM   #1280
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichima View Post
SOA has been involved multiple times stating it's up to the dealership to claim fault and if they don't I'm SOL. Up until this last time, the old service manager that is no longer there denied all work until I actually complained enough to Subaru of New England to send a rep out and they put the dealership at fault every time. The new Service manager actually said he would replace my short-block no questions asked and did. But same symptoms of knocking near rod bearing 4 which is on the driver side in the back. Only reason why i know this because that's the rod bearing that failed every time. My next steps may be to contact my local DMV and report the issue because to me this is unacceptable.
Would have thought they would be very good at this by now. Don't understand how a new shortblock would be susceptible to the same issue unless they opened it up and changed the springs in it as well.
Old 10-29-2019, 03:49 PM   #1281
Ichima

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Would have thought they would be very good at this by now. Don't understand how a new shortblock would be susceptible to the same issue unless they opened it up and changed the springs in it as well.
Yeah my issue goes back to February when I first had the recall done. Hasn't gotten any better at all. But at idle you can clearly head a loud knocking noise and when I open the hood, I can hear it coming directly from the back driver side. Even the tech agrees he hears it but states he doesn't work on enough BRZ's to know if it's an actual issue. I also let him know that we can start the BRZ they have on the lot and let it run to get to operating temp and to compare the knocking in my car compared to what they have.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ichima For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (10-29-2019)
Old 10-29-2019, 03:51 PM   #1282
tomm.brz

Drives: brz 2017 hksv2
Thanked 1,059 Times in 769 Posts
Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
A short block doesnt have springs, they are in the heads
And when they change short blocks, it arrives already buikt and ready to bolt sump, heads and front cover on.
They make something wrong in this, because the short block is good everytime
tomm.brz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tomm.brz For This Useful Post:
ermax (10-30-2019), Tcoat (10-29-2019)
Old 10-29-2019, 04:04 PM   #1283
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomm.brz View Post
A short block doesnt have springs, they are in the heads
And when they change short blocks, it arrives already buikt and ready to bolt sump, heads and front cover on.
They make something wrong in this, because the short block is good everytime
Ya I phrased it wrong. Should have been a period between my short block statement and where I said they opened it up.
Old 10-29-2019, 04:13 PM   #1284
ka-t_240

Drives: BRZ
Quote:
Valvesprings are not related to the short block.

Likely, what happened is that previous engine failures have contaminated something in the engine that is not being properly cleaned or there is sealant in the front cover. At this point, In my opinion the correct fix is another new short block, new heads/cams, new oil pump/pickup, and new front cover.
ka-t_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ka-t_240 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (10-29-2019)
Old 10-29-2019, 04:15 PM   #1285
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka-t_240 View Post
Valvesprings are not related to the short block.

Likely, what happened is that previous engine failures have contaminated something in the engine that is not being properly cleaned or there is sealant in the front cover. At this point, In my opinion the correct fix is another new short block, new heads/cams, new oil pump/pickup, and new front cover.
Yep. That is what I originally meant to say but flubbed the words badly.
Old 10-29-2019, 05:09 PM   #1286
Ichima

Quote:
Yep. That is what I originally meant to say but flubbed the words badly.
I'm not as knowledgeable when it comes to technical work like this. But what Kat240 mentioned is what was done to my car this most recent time.
Old 10-29-2019, 05:23 PM   #1287
ka-t_240

Drives: BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichima View Post
I'm not as knowledgeable when it comes to technical work like this. But what Kat240 mentioned is what was done to my car this most recent time.
Do you have an invoice copy you could upload by chance? I am curious how the new motor failed w/ new everything.
ka-t_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 09:20 PM   #1288
DJ72

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Any of the 2013 FR-S owners that have had engine failure after getting the JO2 recall done sit tight. Disregard the incompetent comments on here. Those people did not have shell out $6-7,000 out of there pockets. The engine failure was 100% Toyota’s fault and it will get covered. I am currently working with Toyota to resolve this issue. It was only 2013’s that were affected. I work for a large corporation and see how they try to disregard things, until that is, enough noise is made. I should find out this week if Toyota is going to reimburse me for the cost of the engine repair. If your are one that was affected by this, please just shoot me a message. I am only looking to recoup the money that I payed for the repairs. Nothing more.
DJ72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brz, failure, frs, i cant even, j02, recall, so much glue