follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 09-27-2012, 06:03 PM   #1
PMok
Codename: Stitch

Drives: 91 MR2; 06 IS350; 16 BRZ; 18 CX-5
Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,307 Posts
Mentioned: 462 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Smile PMok's WRB BRZ Premium 6MT "Stitch"

This is going to be a mildly modded car, with a few cosmetic tweaks and maybe a few performance upgrades. So if you're looking for big boosted turbo kits and hellaflush stance, well, hit the backspace button now. I like driving and I like photography so I will probably be sharing pictures and stories for the most part.

Last Monday I completed the paperwork and officially became an owner of a WR Blue BRZ Premium 6MT.

But I've actually not driven the car yet! I'm in Northern California and the car is in Colorado Springs, CO. I bought the car from Heuberger Motors in COS because Subaru dealerships are still price gouging like mad in California. Heuberger is one of the largest volume Subie dealers in America (perhaps the largest) so they move a lot of cars and are offering their cars for sale at below MSRP. So even with the cost of shipping the car to CA I am still saving money over what the typical buyer in NorCal is paying (a select early few were lucky enough to get pre-orders at MSRP).

Anyways the car is officially mine but won't be on its way to me until early next week, when the truck is ready to pick it up and bring it to me. That hasn't stopped me from having the first few mods done to it though! And thus herein begins my car journal...

Since the car was going to be waiting around for a week or so before it got picked up, I figured I would get some things out of the way. 3M clear bra was applied to the front bumper, and window tint to the sides and back. The sales mgr at the tint place was nice enough to snap a shot of the car for me after the tints were done:

They used Llumar CTX nano-ceramic tint, 15% in the back and 30% on the doors.

ok that's it for now, stay tuned for next week when I actually receive the car, then I will probably have more pics to share...

Last edited by PMok; 12-07-2012 at 10:17 PM. Reason: cleaned up first post a little
PMok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:35 PM   #2
DGMBRZ

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ in DGM
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Very nice! Congrats! Hope you enjoy it soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DGMBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DGMBRZ For This Useful Post:
PMok (09-27-2012)
Old 09-27-2012, 09:14 PM   #3
PMok

quick question for fellow BRZ owners...

are the tire valve caps supposed to be green? I just noticed that in the pic above. Just wanted to make sure those are normal or see if it's something like a reminder to do something for PDI like check the pressures, then replace with black caps?
Old 09-27-2012, 10:31 PM   #4
RallySport Direct

Drives: 2014 Widebody Cosworth FR-S
Thanked 1,198 Times in 554 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMok View Post
quick question for fellow BRZ owners...

are the tire valve caps supposed to be green? I just noticed that in the pic above. Just wanted to make sure those are normal or see if it's something like a reminder to do something for PDI like check the pressures, then replace with black caps?
Ours were not green from what I remember, just the normal black.

And to the O.P. Car looks great!! Congrats.

Thanks,
Rick
RallySport Direct is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RallySport Direct For This Useful Post:
PMok (09-27-2012)
Old 09-27-2012, 11:03 PM   #5
Silverdub
Boostin'

Drives: FRS-T
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
The green caps means that the tires were inflated with nitrogen
Silverdub is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Silverdub For This Useful Post:
PMok (09-27-2012)
Old 09-27-2012, 11:53 PM   #6
PMok

Neat, did not know that! I presume not every car came that way then, is it up to the dealership?
Old 09-28-2012, 12:07 AM   #7
Norkoastal
Never on Time Always Late

Drives: #silenced crickets
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMok View Post
Neat, did not know that! I presume not every car came that way then, is it up to the dealership?
Mine were green too HB Bro.. :happy0180:
Norkoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Norkoastal For This Useful Post:
PMok (09-28-2012)
Old 09-28-2012, 12:17 AM   #8
RallySport Direct

Drives: 2014 Widebody Cosworth FR-S
Thanked 1,198 Times in 554 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverdub View Post
The green caps means that the tires were inflated with nitrogen
That's awesome! I had no idea haha

Thanks,
Rick
RallySport Direct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:13 AM   #9
PMok

I've been playing GT5 quite a bit lately, to kill time while waiting for the car...

But now the wait is over! My BRZ arrived at my door today!

Here's the delivery truck outside my house. Nice, the color of the truck even matches...

Car was very dirty from the trip, but had only 15 miles on the odo.

I did not take too many pics due to the car being so dirty and I had to head off to work right after the car arrived. But the WR Blue paint really stands out in the sun, even through the dirt it is amazingly bright. I will have to find some time to get her cleaned up and then take some nice shots.

Here she is in her new parking spot, which my wife so graciously gave up for my new baby, next to the other baby... as she said, "ohoh! here comes the new mistress!"
Old 10-03-2012, 03:26 AM   #10
86BRZ

Drives: BRZ Limited arrived on 9/1/2012
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Congrats!! Finally yous is arrived!
86BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 86BRZ For This Useful Post:
PMok (10-03-2012)
Old 10-03-2012, 03:37 AM   #11
Jeff86

Drives: 86 (FR-S)
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Dirty or not she's beautiful! Congrats :happy0180:
Jeff86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff86 For This Useful Post:
PMok (10-03-2012)
Old 10-04-2012, 03:14 AM   #12
PMok

Warning, long winded writing ahead...

Here are some thoughts after only 2 days driving the car. A lot of this is going to be duplicative or obvious to other BRZ owners, but this is kind of a personal log of my impressions. Perhaps it will be useful to future owners or people considering this car, who have similar automotive backgrounds to mine.

Day 1 impressions. Exterior. Car is very low to the ground, and the overall look is aggressive. Very classic GT-car proportions. A poor-man's Aston Martin Vantage. Even when dirty the WR Blue paint is very shiny and eye-catching. In photos I feel the BRZ looks a little awkward, the big "mustache" bumper in front and the the rear trunk lid/tail lights were in my mind weak points in the design. In person these things seem to fade away as the overall look is very handsome. I had been previously considering all kinds of cosmetic mods to improve the look, but now that I see it in person I'm not so sure I feel so strongly about needing to modify these things. It looks fine the way it is.

Interior. Getting into the car the seat sort of embraces you and it feels a little weird compared to most other car seats but it's still comfortable. As everyone has said the basic controls are right where you want them to be and everything falls into place. I was able to get in and just drive the car with minimal adjustment. Move the mirrors, adjust the seat, ready to go. Having driven mostly Toyotas all my life there was very little confusion about what does what in the Subaru, all the controls felt very familiar. The interior style is very basic, subdued, functional. I like that. No fancy wood trim or excessive chrome/metal to distract your eye from the pure function of driving. I might replace the shift knob with something a little heavier (and a little more flash), and call it a day.

Driving feel. I have not really pushed the car much in my limited time in it, but am very pleased with how the controls feel. The steering is tight and well-proportioned. The brake pedal has the perfect firmness and responsiveness. I feel the throttle is a touch sensitive but I probably just need to adjust to that. Clutch as many have noted, has a very high engagement point. I know it can be adjusted but I will leave it alone for now, starts were a little unsmooth to begin with but I think I am getting accustomed quickly.

Day 2 impressions. Commuting with the car is very comfortable. Ride is decent, certainly smoother than my MR2 Spyder which is on Eibach Pro Kit springs and Koni shocks. Sound of the car is fairly mellow, especially since I am upshifting at 4K. I imagine it will get louder above that, but for now it's definitely one of my quieter cars. All my other cars have aftermarket exhausts on so I am probably used to more sound and enjoy it. I went ahead and programmed my shift light/buzzer to come on at 3800 RPM to help keep me in line during the break-in period.

Took a coworker and a friend out for rides in the car, both commented on how low the car is. When you are sitting in the car with the door open, it's easy to just reach over and touch the ground. That is a huge component of how this is a sports car, the low center of gravity design is key to the handling and driving feel. I haven't really thrown the car into a corner at speed yet, but so far it feels very sure-footed and stable. Cruising on the freeway seems easy and uneventful, the car needs nowhere near the amount of attention and correction that my MR2 does.

I'm no audiophile, but the sound system in the car seems decent, I have listened to music via FM, HD Radio, Satellite radio, and through an iPhone via USB. A fair amount of bass coming from the door speakers, enough to feel the vibration hitting my left leg which is a little annoying. I managed to pair my phone to the head unit, but haven't made a call yet. I have a fairly old-school basic phone, the LG Chocolate 2, so the pairing seems to be a little wonky. I think I have to hit OK on my phone everytime I get in the car to allow it to pair to the car. A little lame but I have an iPhone 5 coming and that should pair without issue.

I've noticed a few weird ergonomic issues. Visibility seems compromised by the left side mirror when I'm making a left turn. And the pointy triangle window on the forward part of the doors that remains in place when you have the window down, seems like a safety hazard when getting in and out of the car, my face seems to get uncomfortably close to that pointy piece on the way in or out. My old SW20 MR2 had a similar window piece but I don't think I ever had issues with it. Maybe I have to train myself to move differently. Or roll the window all the way back up first.

This is my first 6-speed manual, and I've been driving my old MR2 5-speed for over 12 years so I've gotten pretty used to driving it and this is a bit of a change. For the most part the shifting is straightforward, but I do occasionally stumble on a shift due to the spacing on the shift pattern being a little wider on the BRZ. The 5-6 shift is easier to get used to than I thought. But one thing I tripped up on a few times already is thinking that R is where it was on the MR2, namely where 6th now is. I have caught myself shifting into 6, then remembering that I have to lift the reverse lockout and shift back into where 1 is to get to R. I feel like it's a little bizarre that you back up in R, then you have to pop it back into neutral, the lockout ring pops back down, and then you put it right back into the same spot to get to 1. Will just take some getting used to I guess.

Also, I woke up extra early so I could wash the car before work and was able to inspect all the exterior of the car more closely. Cosmetically I'd say the car arrived in 9.5/10 condition. Most of the cosmetic issues are actually with the clear bra and tint that I had installed -- there are a few small bubbles here and there, or some imperfections in the bra install. Minor issues really, and I am not going to worry too much about it. I'm still really glad I got them installed, the benefits outweigh the minor downsides. One thing that kind of caught my eye though was the rear bumper film installed at the port, part of the Pop1B package, there seems to be a small fleck of something (dirt or sand or whatever) underneath the film. A little disappointing that they flubbed that little detail on the install. I am pleased that the bumper film does not have a big honkin' SUBARU lettering across it, there is only a very small discreet Subaru logo on one end to let you know it's a genuine Subaru part/add-on. Also being really nit-picky here, but for some reason the wheel locks on each wheel (also part of the Pop1B) had some kind of white paint or residue on the face of the lock, that I had to scrape off of each one.

Passed 100 miles on the odo on the way home from work... 900 miles to go on the break-in!

reward for reading through all that. Parked in a row of all blue cars at work today, including my friend's Fiat 500 that came by for a visit. Interestingly they are all different shades of blue, no two are really alike when you see them in the sunlight.

Last edited by PMok; 10-04-2012 at 03:30 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to PMok For This Useful Post:
BRZranger (10-30-2012)
Old 10-04-2012, 04:39 PM   #13
spomi

Drives: 2009 Impreza
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Me jelly.
spomi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to spomi For This Useful Post:
PMok (10-05-2012)
Old 10-05-2012, 02:40 AM   #14
PMok

Cleaned her nice and good, and went for a photoshoot at sunset.