follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 08-21-2021, 04:02 AM   #1
Dububster

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Oil Cooler for a DD with track days?

So I have begun getting into tracking my car a few times a year and have come across many threads saying that if you track your car at all, you should get an oil cooler for extra insurance. After doing a little bit more research, I found that an oil cooler may not be the best idea on a DD car where most of the trips might not get the oil up to temperature with an oil cooler. I came across a pretty good deal on a Jackson racing oil cooler near me and wanted to know what you guys think. Do you think I should pick the cooler up because I need it for tracking and it would be fine to have daily driving, or would it be a bad idea because my oil might not get up to proper temps when daily driving it and maybe I should get a different solution for when I take it to the track? Everything is stock under the hood besides UEL headers.
Dububster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 08:23 AM   #2
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,891 Times in 2,032 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
You don't need an oil cooler. You should run 30 or 40wt full synth oil during track season tho...
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ZDan For This Useful Post:
Dububster (08-21-2021)
Old 08-21-2021, 12:36 PM   #3
Dububster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDan View Post
You don't need an oil cooler. You should run 30 or 40wt full synth oil during track season tho...
Okay, do you think one of the lighter oil coolers like the OEM forester one would be a good idea, or is that one not even necessary?
Old 08-21-2021, 01:52 PM   #4
BlueWhelan

Drives: 2013 Blue Subaru BRZ. 6 Spd manual
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Use your data to drive the decision. What does your oil temp look like on track?

Modern oils have no problem protecting under optimal temperature. They DO however lose viscosity (and pressure) rapidly once over temp. It’s the pressure drop that is the problem for the Fa-20s. Get the JR kit. The included thermostatic plate will keep it from being too cold for daily driving, but will protect you from severe pressure drops on track.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by BlueWhelan; 08-22-2021 at 02:06 AM.
BlueWhelan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueWhelan For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (08-21-2021), timurrrr (08-23-2021)
Old 08-22-2021, 12:01 AM   #5
Dububster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWhelan View Post
Use your data to drive the decision. What does your oil temp look like on track?

Modern oils have no problem protecting under optimal temperature. They DO however lose viscosity (and pressure) rapidly once over temp. It’s the pressure drop that is the problem for the GA-20z Get the JR kit. The included thermostatic plate will keep it from being too cold for daily driving, but will protect you from severe pressure drops on track.

I am not sure what my oil temps are at the track because I have only been once and wasn't monitoring oil temps at that time. I would have already gotten the oil cooler but when I was looking into threads of people who mostly dd their care they were talking about how it is hard to get their oil up to operating temps with an oil cooler resulting in possible damage to the engine even with the thermostatic plate. This worries me because when daily driving my car 85% of the trips I take are rather short and only long enough to barely get my oil up to regular operating temp. I plan to track my car more often this coming fall-spring and that's why I have spent so much time looking into whether I need an oil cooler or not. Thoughts? I just did a very light backroad drive and my oft read 210 degrees if that means anything...
Old 08-22-2021, 01:03 AM   #6
BlueWhelan

Drives: 2013 Blue Subaru BRZ. 6 Spd manual
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

I have the Jackson Racing kit on my daily driver. I commonly see 150-170 in my daily commute. This is totally fine. Modern synthetic motor oils are designed to flow well even at temperatures much lower then that. You’re not going to damage your engine by failing to get oil up to 180F while daily driving. If that was the case, everyone who drives their car for 60 seconds to the grocery store would be spinning bearings left and right.

Now, I will say that you generally should avoid redlining the thing while the engine/oil is cold, but that’s probably more to do with engine tolerances at operating temperature rather than oil viscosity.

Anyone who blows an engine with cold oil was either caning it without a warmup, or something else was going on.

BlueWhelan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BlueWhelan For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (08-22-2021), Dububster (08-22-2021), MrSkubi (08-24-2021), timurrrr (08-23-2021), TommyW (08-22-2021), Ultramaroon (08-22-2021)
Old 08-22-2021, 01:46 AM   #7
Dububster

Quote:
I have the Jackson Racing kit on my daily driver. I commonly see 150-170 in my daily commute. This is totally fine. Modern synthetic motor oils are designed to flow well even at temperatures much lower then that. You’re not going to damage your engine by failing to get oil up to 180F while daily driving. If that was the case, everyone who drives their car for 60 seconds to the grocery store would be spinning bearings left and right.

Now, I will say that you generally should avoid redlining the thing while the engine/oil is cold, but that’s probably more to do with engine tolerances at operating temperature rather than oil viscosity.

Anyone who blows an engine with cold oil was either caning it without a warmup, or something else was going on.

Yeah, that's a really good point. Better too cold than too hot. Thank you very much for the input.
Old 08-22-2021, 07:32 AM   #8
ZDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dububster View Post
Okay, do you think one of the lighter oil coolers like the OEM forester one would be a good idea, or is that one not even necessary?
Forester cooler has some stuff going for it, namely it's an OEM part and it will actually heat up the oil quicker vs. aftermarket cooler. Reportedly knocks oil temps down by 10-15F.

With no cooler, oil temp in my car reliably goes to just over 270F at the track and never climbs from there, even in 95F ambient temps. That's not a problem at all for good synthetic. I run 30wt and change every couple/three events and don't worry about it...

Last edited by ZDan; 08-22-2021 at 08:14 AM.
Old 08-22-2021, 09:45 AM   #9
ZDan

Quote:
The other question to ask: Is this temperature problematic? I don't think 270F is, with good 30wt synthetic.

Quote:
Modern oils have no problem protecting under optimal temperature. They DO however lose viscosity (and pressure) rapidly once over temp. It’s the pressure drop that is the problem for the Fa-20s.
We have data showing the same oil pressure for oil at ~275F without a cooler, and at ~245F with a cooler. ~7.5psi/1000rpm either way with 30wt Motul.
https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91820
Old 08-22-2021, 10:42 AM   #10
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:

Also remember that the oil temp you see is *post* cooler. Seeing a 30F spread across the cooler isn't unusual.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
timurrrr (08-23-2021)
Old 08-22-2021, 10:51 AM   #11
Ohio Enthusiast

Drives: 2018 BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
I have the Jackson Racing kit on my daily driver. I commonly see 150-170 in my daily commute. This is totally fine.
Isn't it better to get the oil 212 at least to evaporate any water contamination? I would imagine low oil temps would have the same effect on the engine as short drives (which are always mentioned in owner's manuals as extreme driving conditions), so I'm not sure if that's totally fine.

Does anyone have oil temp numbers of a stock Twin without an oil cooler on the road?
Ohio Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 10:57 AM   #12
ayau

Drives: Some rust bucket
Thanked 1,045 Times in 556 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
don't forget you're adding an additional point of failure with an aftermarket cooler. how often do you go to the track? just keep that in mind.
ayau is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ayau For This Useful Post:
Ohio Enthusiast (08-22-2021), Petah78 (08-22-2021), ZDan (08-22-2021)
Old 08-22-2021, 11:02 AM   #13
ZDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Enthusiast View Post
Isn't it better to get the oil 212 at least to evaporate any water contamination? I would imagine low oil temps would have the same effect on the engine as short drives (which are always mentioned in owner's manuals as extreme driving conditions), so I'm not sure if that's totally fine.

Does anyone have oil temp numbers of a stock Twin without an oil cooler on the road?
You don't have to get to 212F to drive moisture out, but I'd wanna see more than 150-170F...

Mine gets to ~190F within 5-10 minutes even in winter toodling around town at low speed/low-rpm. Higher that on the highway at 75+.

One reason I don't get an aftermarket cooler is to ensure oil gets up to temp quickly in the cold months.
The Following User Says Thank You to ZDan For This Useful Post:
Ohio Enthusiast (08-22-2021)
Old 08-22-2021, 11:20 AM   #14
ayau

Drives: Some rust bucket
Thanked 1,045 Times in 556 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Add some OEM crash bolts and max out the front negative camber if you haven't done so already. Much less risk than adding an aftermarket cooler. It sounds like you're just getting started, so I would avoid messing with something as important as engine oil system unless you know you need one. You'll know when you need one.
ayau is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ayau For This Useful Post:
Dububster (08-22-2021), Goingnowherefast (08-26-2021), timurrrr (08-23-2021), ZDan (08-22-2021)