follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Northern California

Northern California NorCal

User Tag List

Old 07-10-2014, 09:57 PM   #1
rmak321

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Need advice on passing smog in California

Hopefully this is the right place to post this. If not, feel free to move it mods. I'm hoping to gain some insight as to what steps other CA 86 owners are taking to ensure they don't run into trouble with the law.

A little background on my setup - 2013 FR-S. The only mechanical mod I've made so far is a Nameless (catless) header and Header-back exhaust. The downpipe has a "high-flow" cat. I've also reflashed the ECU with the Visconti tune specifically made for the header. When I purchased the exhaust I decided to go with 3" pipes because I was likely planning on going FI at some point. Until then I have a Perrin CAI which I'm planning to install in the next couple weeks. After doing some research, it's become apparent that my current setup will never pass muster when smog-time comes and I think I could even be cited for it by a cop if he really wanted to be a **** (the Nameless header and exhaust is LOUD). This isn't a huge issue for me as up until now everything I have is bolt-on and can be swapped out the day before getting it smogged.

What IS an issue is if I decide to add a FI kit. This isn't exactly something you can swap out the day before taking your car in (at least not easily). Even if you are able to pass the emissions test, a quick pop of the hood during the visual inspection should be an instant fail. I've asked around with the shop owners how these other tuner-cars they work on stay registered but haven't received a straight answer. Additionally, I'm not fortunate enough to have a friend in the smog business who will clear my car.

I know there are 86 owners in CA with FI kits. How do you plan to keep your car on the road once smog time comes?

Help!
rmak321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 10:01 PM   #2
Reaper
in orbe terrum non visi

Drives: violent
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
there are several CARB legal supercharger kits. Or you could just move out of that ridiculous state.

Alaska did a study and found more emissions where produced driving to and from emissions testing facilities and maintaining the facility and having employees man the station than they kept off the road by failing cars. Now there is no emissions in AK.
smmmurf (07-11-2014)
Old 07-10-2014, 11:29 PM   #3
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

Drives: Subaru Boxer
Thanked 6,846 Times in 3,675 Posts
Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Wow! It only took someone 4 minutes to chime in and post that you should move out of California and also mention a study that probably isn't relevant due to the population difference between California and Alaska!

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz
I'm old and lazy
Clipdat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Clipdat For This Useful Post:
BigFatFlip (07-11-2014), EastBayCanuck (07-11-2014), MagicBobert (07-11-2014), PandaBRZ (07-11-2014)
Old 07-11-2014, 12:19 AM   #4
HapaHaole

Drives: Grocery cart
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
First thing first, As a SMOG technician you have 6 years before you need to SMOG the vehicle. I would say do what you want and worry about smog down the road, eventually most kits will be legal by then, and you can change it to that kit. I am going to guess that in the future you can get around and find someone who will do a pass on it.

Here is why, BAR is going to change the way the SMOG program will operate, for 2000 and up MY they won't need to put it on sniffer to pass. What that means is you plug in the car into a computer, it reads the monitor info, VIN # and engine data stream.. You can emulate this , it's not that hard. Then the SMOG technician is going to do a visual and be done.

Where you can cheat is this. SMOG rules state if you show the EO# of the kit you an pass smog. Some technicians are anal and want the EO # Sticker, for me I have always asked for the actual EO print out that shows the kit description. Example, is if you find a kit similar to a Greddy turbo, get that EO number and with the print out and find /make a fake sticker you will pass.

PM me if you have questions.
BigFatFlip (07-11-2014), Cjymiller (07-11-2014), PMok (07-11-2014), smmmurf (07-11-2014), unsurety (07-11-2014)
Old 07-11-2014, 08:34 PM   #5
rmak321

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by HapaHaole View Post
First thing first, As a SMOG technician you have 6 years before you need to SMOG the vehicle. I would say do what you want and worry about smog down the road, eventually most kits will be legal by then, and you can change it to that kit. I am going to guess that in the future you can get around and find someone who will do a pass on it.

Here is why, BAR is going to change the way the SMOG program will operate, for 2000 and up MY they won't need to put it on sniffer to pass. What that means is you plug in the car into a computer, it reads the monitor info, VIN # and engine data stream.. You can emulate this , it's not that hard. Then the SMOG technician is going to do a visual and be done.

Where you can cheat is this. SMOG rules state if you show the EO# of the kit you an pass smog. Some technicians are anal and want the EO # Sticker, for me I have always asked for the actual EO print out that shows the kit description. Example, is if you find a kit similar to a Greddy turbo, get that EO number and with the print out and find /make a fake sticker you will pass.

PM me if you have questions.
Alright, that makes sense. I'll be fine until smog time comes and hopefully by then I'll have added a CARB compliant blower

Thanks guys!
rmak321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 12:01 AM   #6
michael_king

Drives:
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
innovative are upgradable after you get your CARB sticker, so to be legal you can get one of those, drop to a smaller pulley then keep the stock one to put back for the actual smog test. They can't look into your ecu and tell which map it's on at a regular traffic stop inspection
michael_king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 12:22 AM   #7
fleo

Drives: Firestorm
Going slightly off topic, how thorough are the visual checks? Everywhere I've read just say the tech should check all emissions components listed. So for example, would the tech remove the underbody tray to check to see if your header is stock?
fleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 12:52 AM   #8
HapaHaole

Drives: Grocery cart
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleo View Post
So for example, would the tech remove the underbody tray to check to see if your header is stock?

The rule is that you make reasonable inspections. Example would be if it looks stock to you then you don't need to go further. Even for the older car emissions testing for EVAP, it states if you can't see it or access it reasonably then skip it. Visual is done using mirrors and basic shop tools.

The catalytic is covered by the shield and to be honest they won't remove it. Since that requires using a lift and most smog shops don't have one.

Image if you changed the camshafts, which require an EO# , how can a tech know?

If you put a header with no CAT Then that will be obvious but if you gut a stock one they won't know.