follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 01-08-2013, 07:39 PM   #127
R L Newb

Drives: LR BRZ Ltd, 06 STi
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
There aren't any identifiers on the bottle that I could call Idemitsu with. The SOA part numbers and API SM are all the same.

The only thing I notced is the older bottle said :

when the newer said :
R L Newb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:24 PM   #128
bluesubie

Drives: 2004 Subaru Forester 2.5XT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
The bottom of the jug? Or you could just ask why some uoa's of the SM oil show high moly and some do not? Any jug made after September 30, 2011 (I believe that's the correct date) and receive the API Starburst (second picture), must meet API SN specs. When it first came out, the Subaru oil did not even have API or ILSAC stamps on it at all. I guess they just rushed it through.

-Dennis
bluesubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:47 AM   #129
R L Newb

I looked at every inch of the bottle....except the bottom. I'll see if anything is printed on it after work.

Both bottles had the API Service SM label printed on the back, just the front was different. So from what I understand the first bottle is probably the older SM and the second would be the newer SM that meets SN? And when it boils down to it the car is fine with either.

I may have noticed a difference in startup and idle noise between the high moly and the high boron. I just assumed it was because I ran the oil to 7900 miles or the fact that it is winter. Or it's all in my head
Old 01-09-2013, 11:48 AM   #130
smbrm

Drives: Scion FRS Ht Lva(AT)
Batch code number are not part of label printing. They may be laser etched into the paper label or ink jet printed somewhere on the plastic bottle or label. They are required as part of API /ILSAC licensing. It is not unusual to be a code that only can be deciphered by the manufacturer.

Last edited by smbrm; 01-09-2013 at 01:48 PM.
smbrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:54 AM   #131
smbrm

Drives: Scion FRS Ht Lva(AT)
Quote:
Originally Posted by R L Newb View Post

I may have noticed a difference in startup and idle noise between the high moly and the high boron. I just assumed it was because I ran the oil to 7900 miles or the fact that it is winter. Or it's all in my head

An interesting thought to hope you might notice those differences, but I would say no!
smbrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:10 PM   #132
bluesubie

Quote:
Originally Posted by R L Newb View Post
I looked at every inch of the bottle....except the bottom. I'll see if anything is printed on it after work.

Both bottles had the API Service SM label printed on the back, just the front was different. So from what I understand the first bottle is probably the older SM and the second would be the newer SM that meets SN? And when it boils down to it the car is fine with either.

The difference in moly could be a reformulation before the bottle was actually relabeled to SN, but only Idemitsu can tell you that. But yes, the car is fine either way and it's probably all in your head.

I've added moly to oil before (LubroMoly MoS2), but the subjective difference wasn't the same as the soluble moly in an ester based oil like Red Line or Motul 300V. If you really want it, just go to a Mazda dealer and ask for their new Idemitsu made High Moly 0W-20 GF5 (which is a contradiction of Idemitsu's email where they advised they're reducing moly for GF5!).

http://www.oilchangekits.com/automob...hange-kit.html

Oil formulations are changing all the time. Use Mobil1 0W-20 and you could be using the new tri-nuclear moly which has better performance levels than the old stuff, but in much lower doses.

http://www.infineum.com/Documents/Cr...ogy%202009.pdf

-Dennis
Old 01-09-2013, 04:00 PM   #133
R L Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbrm View Post
An interesting thought to hope you might notice those differences, but I would say no!
Pretty sure it was weather and mileage related but I can pretend to be that in tune with my car

I'll keep running the Subie stuff just to see what we see.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:53 PM   #134
Achpoques

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Interesting, thanks for posting those numbers. Might look into it for myself as well.
Achpoques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:22 PM   #135
R L Newb

23k and still climbing, next oil change is coming fast.

on a side note: swapped out the tranny and diff fluid at 20k. Tranny fluid looked golden still with almost nothing on the magnet. Diff fluid looked brown, burnt-ish with plenty of metal slush on the magnet. I'd say swap them at or before 20k. Not motor related but still about oil changes so almost thread related.
Old 02-10-2013, 03:10 PM   #136
illmatic

Drives: BRZ Limited 6MT, 02 AW, 03PSM WRX
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
The link below had a special for Idemitsu 0w20 for $16.95 with free shipping after with orders after $50. I'm looking to stock up, @bluesubie is this the high moly version similar to the Mazda spec?

http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pro...mber=20102059&
illmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:23 PM   #137
zoomzoomers

Drives: 2013 Subaru SWP BRZ Limited 6AT
Just checked your Web site. It actually States it's $21.57 per gallon and if you order more than 2 gallons you get free shipping. Since it comes to 3.7 liters per gallon you're getting 11 liters when you order 3 gallons. So that comes to $5.83 per liter. I'm not familiar with this oil and it's going price. Is that a good deal? Someone please chime in here.

Did the sale end? If it was on sake for $15 it would be an even better deal.
Man Law#17:A man in the company of a hot, seductively dressed, woman MUST remain sober enough to fight!

MODS: AVO tubes + filter, Cusco (F) strut brace w/ MC brace, Perrin CBE, Subaru OEM trunk tray, Grimmspeed front license re-locator & hood struts and Beatsonic rear cam.
zoomzoomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:58 PM   #138
illmatic

Drives: BRZ Limited 6MT, 02 AW, 03PSM WRX
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoomers View Post
Just checked your Web site. It actually States it's $21.57 per gallon and if you order more than 2 gallons you get free shipping. Since it comes to 3.7 liters per gallon you're getting 11 liters when you order 3 gallons. So that comes to $5.83 per liter. I'm not familiar with this oil and it's going price. Is that a good deal? Someone please chime in here.

Did the sale end? If it was on sake for $15 it would be an even better deal.
Yes, the sale ended. I'd keep the link on hand just incase it goes back down. Found the deal here:
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1255644/
illmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:17 PM   #139
zoomzoomers

Drives: 2013 Subaru SWP BRZ Limited 6AT
Thanks I'll keep my eye open for the next deal.
Man Law#17:A man in the company of a hot, seductively dressed, woman MUST remain sober enough to fight!

MODS: AVO tubes + filter, Cusco (F) strut brace w/ MC brace, Perrin CBE, Subaru OEM trunk tray, Grimmspeed front license re-locator & hood struts and Beatsonic rear cam.
zoomzoomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:21 AM   #140
bluesubie

Quote:
Originally Posted by illmatic View Post
The link below had a special for Idemitsu 0w20 for $16.95 with free shipping after with orders after $50. I'm looking to stock up, @bluesubie is this the high moly version similar to the Mazda spec?

http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pro...mber=20102059&
Just a guess, but I would say no. All of the oils that Idemitsu makes for various OEM's are different in formula and their own label oil is probably different as well. They also get a separate API license for each oil.

-Dennis