follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 05-15-2012, 05:26 PM   #43
MTeator
First 86

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkRacerX View Post
1st tank of gas gone, I am showing 26.9 Mpg so far , Very Happy w/ my mostly city and min Hwy.
Excellent to hear all these reports of good mileage. Definitely way better than my 93 MR2 got.
Old 05-15-2012, 05:29 PM   #44
MarkRacerX

Drives: 12' Evo X , prior 1st 86 FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTeator View Post
Excellent to hear all these reports of good mileage. Definitely way better than my 93 MR2 got.
Yeah def not soo painful at the pump. My 11' STi was 16-19mpg always....
08' STi, 04' 350Z, 04' STi, 02' WRX. 96' GSR, 04' SE-R/SpecV
MarkRacerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:01 PM   #45
smbrm

Drives: Scion FRS Ht Lva(AT)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pake1 View Post
does a new car need break in time before it shows its true MPG?
Yes, it does. It should improve over time and level off to relatively consistent. By consistent, I mean depending on the type of driving, but not influenced by variables related to newness.
smbrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:25 PM   #46
SunnyD

Drives: Scion xD
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteGDB View Post
Ok, so you're not actually against trip meter vs fuel added method. You just don't want to top off to start it now even though I don't think anyone was actually asking you to do that.

I was just trying to bring light to the fact that onboard mpg computers usually don't match up to real life mpgs.
Absolutely right. The onboard MPG calculator is usually 2-3 mpgs higher than actual mileage achieved. My wife's Prius gets 57-58 mpgs per the computer, yet when I divide miles traveled by gallons put in, we're getting around 55 mpg.

If you guys are getting 30 mpg per the computer, then im guessing the actual mileage is around 27-28. I'm still happy with that!
SunnyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 04:06 AM   #47
dhpinoy
Undecided Color for FR-S

Drives: Jeep Liberty, Scion xA
See you at Cars & Coffee tomorrow!
Old 05-19-2012, 08:36 PM   #48
dhpinoy
Undecided Color for FR-S

Drives: Jeep Liberty, Scion xA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhpinoy View Post
See you at Cars & Coffee tomorrow!
I missed out on today's Cars & Coffee... I was on the way with my friend riding our bikes then his bike tire popped 1/4 way and we just ended up going back. I missed it
Old 08-09-2012, 01:39 PM   #49
Pake1

Drives: SWP Premium BRZ
Wanted to necro this thread again since everyone has their cars now..

For me I plan to use my BRZ as a daily driver, to and from work. HUGE upgrade from my 97 Civic
Pake1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 01:51 PM   #50
PoRco
Ef Arr Ess

Drives: Ablaze MT (2016)
This is my first manual and also my first car (which is why I probably feel this way) and I don't see what the big fuss is over manual in traffic.

Is it that difficult to move the stick for people? Or they just don't like using their hands.

Before buying MT, I contemplated between MT and AT too and it was mainly because there is a huge stigma on MT in traffic right now. But now that I'm experiencing it... I just don't get what the fuss is all about.

It feels SOO good to shift gears. I seem to enjoy slowing down stopping and going again - rinse-repeat a lot more than just cruising at high way speeds where the car is just on 6th gear.

Think about all the cabbies in the south east asian/asian/europeon countries who all drive manual cars in heavy traffic.
PoRco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 02:07 PM   #51
neutral
Drifter-Wannabe

Drives: Firestorm MT FR-S
Send a message via AIM to neutral
Quote:
Originally Posted by dookie11 View Post
My car before the current one was a 99 Civic that was a DD. Even though my current is AT, I still instinctively step with my left foot thinking there's a clutch pedal there :P I used to commute to K-town every morning on the 10West, so hella traffic to and fro.

No problem driving standard in LA traffic mang. You'll be fine.
At least you haven't hit the brake with your left foot thinking it's a clutch and causing the car to jerk forward violently. With a passenger in the car. Talk about embarrassing. lol
neutral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 02:25 PM   #52
Pake1

Drives: SWP Premium BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoRco View Post
This is my first manual and also my first car (which is why I probably feel this way) and I don't see what the big fuss is over manual in traffic.

Is it that difficult to move the stick for people? Or they just don't like using their hands.

Before buying MT, I contemplated between MT and AT too and it was mainly because there is a huge stigma on MT in traffic right now. But now that I'm experiencing it... I just don't get what the fuss is all about.

It feels SOO good to shift gears. I seem to enjoy slowing down stopping and going again - rinse-repeat a lot more than just cruising at high way speeds where the car is just on 6th gear.

Think about all the cabbies in the south east asian/asian/europeon countries who all drive manual cars in heavy traffic.

It feels better with the lighter clutch of the BRZ/FRS, but stop and go traffic with my heavy clutched civic..my left ham is buffer than my right one
Pake1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 02:27 PM   #53
5hairpins

Drives: 2013 MT Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Mine is a DD, put just shy of 3K on the Odo in just short of 3 months. It has been nothing but a dream to drive. My only problems are staying close to the speed limit and nitwits pulling out in front of me.
5hairpins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 02:56 PM   #54
nedmundo

Drives: Acura TSX, 2010, 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoRco View Post
I agree. I've been commuting between Philly and Wilmington, DE for 14 years, exclusively with manual transmissions. We have lots of bad traffic around Philly, but I only wish for AT on the worst 5-10 days per year. Small price to pay, especially with an MT as good as my Acura's. It really is not a big deal IMO, because it soon becomes second nature.

Then again, with a really heavy clutch, as I experienced driving a dump truck for a summer in college, it can be a hassle. But there's also something fun about the heavy clutch, those long shift throws, and all that torque!
nedmundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 03:12 PM   #55
Texas BRZ
Sports Car = Anti-Drug

Drives: 2014 Honda CBR600RR
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
FR-S 6MT = My daily driver ---> Baby & toddler hauler, grocery getter, to & from work, errands, weekend getaway, monthly two-day HPDE events.... And I'm sure I'm forgetting a few more things, hehe.

That's what I wanted this car for, and that's what I got... A true manual in this car was a must for me.

The FR-S is working out great as my daily driver.

Texas BRZ

Last edited by Texas BRZ; 08-09-2012 at 03:23 PM.
Texas BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Texas BRZ For This Useful Post:
Kwaziekeller (08-10-2012)
Old 08-09-2012, 03:28 PM   #56
MY13FRS
***** Super Senior Member

Drives: 13 FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas FR-S View Post
FR-S 6MT = My daily driver ---> Baby & toddler hauler, grocery getter, to & from work, errands, weekend getaway, monthly two-day HPDE events.... And I'm sure I'm forgetting a few more things, hehe.

That's what I wanted this car for, and that's what I got... A true manual in this car was a must for me.

The FR-S is working out great as my daily driver.

Same here!
MY13FRS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MY13FRS For This Useful Post:
Texas BRZ (08-09-2012)