follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Southern California

Southern California SoCal

User Tag List

Old 05-07-2014, 04:48 PM   #1639
caffeinejunky
hella stock

Drives: BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
I've only been to the meets a couple of times whenever time permits, and I'd have to say it's been pretty welcoming when I was there. I can look at everyone's cars, strike a conversation with anyone and had a good time in general. Last I remember, the top floor was usually filled first, then move to the floor below cause of the weather.
Old 05-07-2014, 05:25 PM   #1640
*LongFella

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S|Whiteout
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by moreuseful View Post
My wife and I have been going to this meet for the better part of a year and a half. Anyone who has met her or me can attest to how we can talk your ear off if you could hold a decent conversation.

I started going to the meets at the beginning of this year/end of last year and I can confirm this statement is true. A very nice and down to earth couple. You can talk my ear off all you want because I'll do it in return

“You might be poor, your shoes might be broken, but your mind is a palace.” - Frank McCourt
*LongFella is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to *LongFella For This Useful Post:
HotLeopardMama (05-07-2014), moreuseful (05-07-2014)
Old 05-07-2014, 05:26 PM   #1641
moreuseful

Drives: '08 OBXT (RIP), '14 FXT
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by *LongFella View Post
I started going to the meets at the beginning of this year/end of last year and I can confirm this statement is true. A very nice and down to earth couple. You can talk my ear off all you want because I'll do it in return
Thanks Brian!
moreuseful is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to moreuseful For This Useful Post:
*LongFella (05-07-2014)
Old 05-07-2014, 05:59 PM   #1642
EpicNameBro

Drives: Slow...
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliog View Post
Care to elaborate how people are unwelcoming or snobby?

We park at the top floor whenever weather permits, as it offers more parking space and we don't inconvenience the rest of the clientele at DJ. When it's too cold we park below.
Sure, this is purely based on my own experience but the first time i went to the meet i went up to a group of guys who were there and they were pretty short with talking to me and i got the hint that i wasn't wanted so i walked away figured ehh no big deal... the next few times i came with a friend who was stanced if you will and people just walked by talking shit about ruining the car. We didn't say shit because my mentality was to each their own. Then of course there is always the times where a car drives by and they scoff or make remarks about cars but this has been majority of the time i went so i won't go into detail about it. That's not to say this reflects everyone at the meets as a whole as there are some nice people and i'll admit that, but as a whole my experience with the meet wasn't what i thought it was going to be...
EpicNameBro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to EpicNameBro For This Useful Post:
juliog (05-07-2014), LXXXV1 (05-07-2014), PradiG (05-07-2014)
Old 05-07-2014, 06:04 PM   #1643
HotLeopardMama
Hello Kitty FRS ^_^

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Garage
When we're on the same floor all parked together--86s, miatas, mustangs, bmw's, imports of whatever origin, stanced or not, all seems fine to me--folks milling about and/or grouped up, taking pics, vaping and whatnot. I don't really see much stinkeye being thrown in either direction. We're all there to enjoy cars and car people.

Quite honestly - most folks, Imports@UCI or otherwise, would prolly find me pretty boring. I work at UCI (boring), I'm over 30 (boring), I'm married (boring), my car is an AT (boring), I don't really canyon or show my car much (boring), my car isn't aggressively modded (boring)--oh, and I'm pregnant (booooooorring, lol).

My car's hard to miss, though - it's full of Hello Kitty stickers--like big giant ones. Seriously. I have a big red Hello Kitty with an FRS86 bow sticker on each one of my doors, lol (see my sig, I swear, haha). If you see me or my hubs, feel to say hi, though. 10 years ago, I was a lot more loud and outgoing, but I'm still happy to talk your ear off if I'm sitting next to you (I usually have a chair of some sort with me at the meet).

2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout AT owner since June 2, 2012 - #2803
RS*R Sports-i Coilovers & LCAs|OEMaudio+ Reference|Milltek Exhaust|OZRacing FormulaHLT Wheels|Downforce CF Lip Kit|Beat-Sonic Fin & Roof Spoiler|Cusco Rear Subframe Brace
My Build Thread|Tuesday Night Irvine DJ Meet|@HotLeopardMama
HotLeopardMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to HotLeopardMama For This Useful Post:
*LongFella (05-07-2014), LXXXV1 (05-07-2014), MikesFRS (05-08-2014), moreuseful (05-07-2014)
Old 05-07-2014, 06:09 PM   #1644
[deleted]
GG

Drives: BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
^^^
I keep forgetting to tell your hubby that I love his Forester haha
HotLeopardMama (05-07-2014), moreuseful (05-07-2014)
Old 05-07-2014, 06:20 PM   #1645
HotLeopardMama
Hello Kitty FRS ^_^

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by omx View Post
^^^
I keep forgetting to tell your hubby that I love his Forester haha
I'm jelly of his Turbo. Someday maybe a Jackson SC for me, but definitely not someday soon, lol.

2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout AT owner since June 2, 2012 - #2803
RS*R Sports-i Coilovers & LCAs|OEMaudio+ Reference|Milltek Exhaust|OZRacing FormulaHLT Wheels|Downforce CF Lip Kit|Beat-Sonic Fin & Roof Spoiler|Cusco Rear Subframe Brace
My Build Thread|Tuesday Night Irvine DJ Meet|@HotLeopardMama
HotLeopardMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HotLeopardMama For This Useful Post:
*LongFella (05-07-2014), moreuseful (05-07-2014)
Old 05-07-2014, 07:04 PM   #1646
DSOmegaX

Drives: '19 M2 Comp, '20 GR Supra
Thanked 2,153 Times in 986 Posts
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by murselyfe View Post
LOL wow DSOmegaX... just wow.

And that's exactly why the top floor is the way it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oh I'm sorry do you have wipe open arms to everyone you see walking down the street? Do you just invite people into your group of friends and consider them part of your group, like you've been together for years? Do you try to insert yourself into every group at work or at school on the first day? If you come up and say hi, I'll say hi back, strike up a conversation, but where it goes is anyone's guess. If you pass by and I'm not in the middle of a conversation with someone else I'll introduce myself to you. Again, where it goes beyond that depends on what are shared interests are, where we are in our lives, etc. The point is, what exactly are you looking for. We don't actively push people away. At the same time, you can't expect one meeting and suddenly were buddies. It takes time, like anything. As more useful said, a lot of the group has been hanging out in multiple different instances unrelated to just car meets. Its no different than being together with old school or work buddies. I personally no longer see the meet as just a car meet, but as a regular occurrence to see some old friends

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

2019 BMW M2 Competition | LBB | ///M Performance Build Thread
2020 Toyota GR Supra | Turbulence | TRD | Build Thread
DSOmegaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 08:02 PM   #1647
murselyfe

Drives: It's black.
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSOmegaX View Post
Oh I'm sorry do you have wipe open arms to everyone you see walking down the street? Do you just invite people into your group of friends and consider them part of your group, like you've been together for years? Do you try to insert yourself into every group at work or at school on the first day? If you come up and say hi, I'll say hi back, strike up a conversation, but where it goes is anyone's guess. If you pass by and I'm not in the middle of a conversation with someone else I'll introduce myself to you. Again, where it goes beyond that depends on what are shared interests are, where we are in our lives, etc. The point is, what exactly are you looking for. We don't actively push people away. At the same time, you can't expect one meeting and suddenly were buddies. It takes time, like anything. As more useful said, a lot of the group has been hanging out in multiple different instances unrelated to just car meets. Its no different than being together with old school or work buddies. I personally no longer see the meet as just a car meet, but as a regular occurrence to see some old friends

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Lol... you're such a tool... not sure why you're acting so threatened? I didn't single you out, but seeing as how you're replying here... I might as well.

No, I don't need people to 'welcome me with open arms'. I'm not starved for the attention, I'm just stating things from personal experience as mentioned. It's simply an outsider's point of view as to how those that were there and familiar with each other tend to come off. Not only this, but it seems to happen more so than not. I'm not saying it's the general consensus of those new to the meet, but there are definitely more than just me that hold a similar opinion. Of course I don't expect to be your 'buddy' with one meet, and judging by how sassy you replied I wouldn't even want to.

Lastly, all of your references to similar experiences such as 'welcoming someone into your home' or 'greeting people with wide open arms on the street' or 'barging into groups at school' don't even hold the same logic. This is a public meet on a public web-forum. This forum is supposed to promote 'community' and a sense of 'camaraderie', is it not? You would expect those that have been there longer than others to recognize who is new to the meet and maybe try to come off as less intimidating by sticking in a large group. Maybe that way, the meet will be more than just 10-15 of the same FRS/BRZs that show up.

Like you said, strangers don't just walk up to groups and try to act all buddy-buddy as a first impression. Maybe you should take a step outside of your bubble and grab a fresh perspective.

Last edited by murselyfe; 05-07-2014 at 08:05 PM. Reason: Pardon my French.
murselyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to murselyfe For This Useful Post:
EpicNameBro (05-07-2014), LXXXV1 (05-07-2014), PradiG (05-07-2014)
Old 05-07-2014, 08:37 PM   #1648
DSOmegaX

Drives: '19 M2 Comp, '20 GR Supra
Thanked 2,153 Times in 986 Posts
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by murselyfe View Post
Lol... you're such a tool... not sure why you're acting so threatened? I didn't single you out, but seeing as how you're replying here... I might as well.

No, I don't need people to 'welcome me with open arms'. I'm not starved for the attention, I'm just stating things from personal experience as mentioned. It's simply an outsider's point of view as to how those that were there and familiar with each other tend to come off. Not only this, but it seems to happen more so than not. I'm not saying it's the general consensus of those new to the meet, but there are definitely more than just me that hold a similar opinion. Of course I don't expect to be your 'buddy' with one meet, and judging by how sassy you replied I wouldn't even want to.

Lastly, all of your references to similar experiences such as 'welcoming someone into your home' or 'greeting people with wide open arms on the street' or 'barging into groups at school' don't even hold the same logic. This is a public meet on a public web-forum. This forum is supposed to promote 'community' and a sense of 'camaraderie', is it not? You would expect those that have been there longer than others to recognize who is new to the meet and maybe try to come off as less intimidating by sticking in a large group. Maybe that way, the meet will be more than just 10-15 of the same FRS/BRZs that show up.

Like you said, strangers don't just walk up to groups and try to act all buddy-buddy as a first impression. Maybe you should take a step outside of your bubble and grab a fresh perspective.
I just see the world for how it is. Like someone else pointed out, this is pretty universal among all meets, and universal among social hangouts in general. Just because this is a "public meet on a public web-forum" doesn't really signify anything IMO. If you get a group of mostly the same people over and over, they will naturally become "the group" and form a clique. Eventually it gets harder to have that group open up and be more inclusive. I'm not saying its right, it's just what happens in the vast majority of situations. As you pointed out, the meet is mostly the same cars and the same people; we were a lot larger, but as people found other priorities and moved on (and the reason why I was saying it's now mostly just a hangout among close friends is because the two people who were originally running the meet no longer do), it reinforces the relationship among those who are left, and naturally thats why you see such a group exist at the meet. All I'm trying to point out is that there's really no reason to complain about it because it...just happens. You mix that with differing personalities, and you'll find equal number of people who are extroverted and will be openly friendly and people who are more introverted who won't take the initiative to say hi.

As far as me being threatening about it, I apologize if it came out that way. Although in most cases I am quite an asshole , I was just trying to make the point that realistically, its more up to the "new guy" to put in more effort to come forth and say hi (and honestly, I did have to go through this when I first started going out to meets, so again, I feel this is a pretty universal sentiment). And while unfortunately you can hit up the wrong person who just doesn't want to talk to you, I feel there are other circumstances in which someone might be "brushing you off" unintentionally i.e. having a conversation with someone already and not wanting to have it interrupted.

So case in point, just come by and say hi to me, or let me know where you'll be and I'll introduce myself instead (should be pretty easy to find me). I promise I'm not a **** in person (maybe a little though ).

2019 BMW M2 Competition | LBB | ///M Performance Build Thread
2020 Toyota GR Supra | Turbulence | TRD | Build Thread
DSOmegaX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DSOmegaX For This Useful Post:
LXXXV1 (05-07-2014)
Old 05-07-2014, 08:41 PM   #1649
asdf
Loading...████████] 99%

Drives: #0517
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Never had an issue with people at this meet-- I don't really show up all too often, just when there's nothing else to do on a Tuesday night, but I prefer when it's not too big a crowd...

I like stopping by and looking at mods for the frs/brz that I was/am thinking about getting for myself and talking to people who have those mods... not really to check out other types of cars. But that's just me.
asdf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to asdf For This Useful Post:
LXXXV1 (05-07-2014)
Old 05-07-2014, 09:07 PM   #1650
LXXXV1

Drives: 2014 FR-S Monogram, Whiteout 6MT
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf View Post
I like stopping by and looking at mods for the frs/brz that I was/am thinking about getting for myself and talking to people who have those mods... not really to check out other types of cars. But that's just me.

Lol me too!

2007 Honda CBR600RR-Pearl White/Silver - Totaled
2014 Scion FR-S Monogram-Whiteout - #LXXXV1 (build)
φφκα
LXXXV1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 09:28 PM   #1651
zAnSh1n
♥カレー大好き !!

Drives: ♿
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf View Post
I like stopping by and looking at mods for the frs/brz that I was/am thinking about getting for myself and talking to people who have those mods...
i fall into that category as well... that's why i kept asking about people seeing fr-s/brz on air suspension in the past

i went there for the first time with my friend last week and i'm not gonna lie, my experience was pretty much how murselyfe described it...

but i don't really care: it is what it is...

i got to meet a super chill dude riding on air and his ride was very nice, but that was about it...

this meet is about an hour away from where i live, so i will probably wait and see how it pans out and then go from there...

i just recently found out about the southbay meet, which is a lot closer for me, but it is on a day i absolutely cannot attend unless if i quit the billiards league
Old 05-07-2014, 09:34 PM   #1652
PradiG

Drives: Fr-s
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zAnSh1n View Post
i fall into that category as well... that's why i kept asking about people seeing fr-s/brz on air suspension in the past

i went there for the first time with my friend last week and i'm not gonna lie, my experience was pretty much how murselyfe described it...

but i don't really care: it is what it is...

i got to meet a super chill dude riding on air and his ride was very nice, but that was about it...

this meet is about an hour away from where i live, so i will probably wait and see how it pans out and then go from there...

i just recently found out about the southbay meet, which is a lot closer for me, but it is on a day i absolutely cannot attend unless if i quit the billiards league
IMO the southbay meet is ALOT more welcoming. Mish and Ron and the other guys are like a family but even when I came they all came up , said hi, introduced themselves, and all talked to me right off the bat.
PradiG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PradiG For This Useful Post:
LXXXV1 (05-07-2014), murselyfe (05-07-2014), nab335 (05-12-2014)