follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List

Old 11-04-2014, 11:46 PM   #15
Texas BRZ
Sports Car = Anti-Drug

Drives: 2014 Honda CBR600RR
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VacantSky View Post
Haha! It's probably one of my best cop stories a lot of people get a kick out of it when I tell it! I'm typically a very good driver and very conscious of everything going on around me, and I'm usually very courteous to others on the road, even if they don't return the favor. Learning to drive in the UK is a very harsh environment!
'Twas the gold wheels, I tell ya!
Attached Images

Texas BRZ
Texas BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Texas BRZ For This Useful Post:
VacantSky (11-05-2014)
Old 11-04-2014, 11:55 PM   #16
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,469 Times in 18,894 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Learning to drive in the UK is a very harsh environment!
I'm guessing the process actually involves learning. Unlike in the US where you only need 2 eyes and a pulse.

Seriously, great story. I was clinching my butt cheeks reading it!
Old 11-05-2014, 12:05 AM   #17
DJCarbine
Thupercharged

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I've only gotten pulled over once (no speeding etc.), cop jumped out and started yelling about how he had better things to do. Somewhere in the yelling he mentioned my exhaust and whistling.

Sometime during his tirade another cruiser pulled up, and then he just sort of walked backwards to his car continuing to talk. Then he drove off.

I was confused so I looked at the other cop in the cruiser that just arrived and they looked as confused as I did, so we both left
2019 Series.Grey STI - Stage1+ SF
DJCarbine is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DJCarbine For This Useful Post:
cdrazic93 (11-05-2014), Eurasianman (11-06-2014), MrAnthonyC (11-05-2014), Texas BRZ (11-05-2014)
Old 11-05-2014, 12:10 AM   #18
1GiantTurtle
Space for Rent

Drives: 2014 6MT ToyoBaru86ScionMonogram?
Thanked 1,136 Times in 526 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
(3 mo owning the car didn't put my plates on just TOYO badges)
T intersection no stop sign, i stopped looked make a right turn, gets pulled over. for not stopping at stop sign. Left ID at home, padded down searched hand cuffed and detained, car searched, looked up VIN said it was registered to me, let me go with a warning for not stopping at stop sign

Instagram: 86turtle
1GiantTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 12:14 AM   #19
daftpunk

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
The day I went to pick up my FRS, I called my dealership and told them not to install the front plate, and that I would do it myself. On the on-ramp to the highway, cops had a check stop set up. I got a $110 ticket for no plate... I had only owned my for for a whole 15 minutes.

2013 Firestorm Scion FRS
2005 Civic SI Sedan- Sold
2004 Impreza WRX - Sold
1992 Civic Hatchback - Parted, RIP
daftpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daftpunk For This Useful Post:
Roadster19 (11-05-2014), Tcoat (11-05-2014)
Old 11-05-2014, 12:16 AM   #20
VacantSky
The Angry Brit

Drives: 1991 E30 318iS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
I'm guessing the process actually involves learning. Unlike in the US where you only need 2 eyes and a pulse.

Lol, yeah diving test in England is no joke. Just before I got my license 10 years ago the government was about to pass a bill stating that driving economically was going to be included in the test (99% of the population learn on a manual, if you learn on an auto that is all you are allowed to drive, it's printed on the license!) so shift points and revs were to be monitored by the instructor. That was 10 years ago, I wouldn't even want to imagine it now!
VacantSky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VacantSky For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (11-05-2014), Ultramaroon (11-05-2014)
Old 11-05-2014, 01:19 AM   #21
Dallen
Boooooosted

Drives: Turbo FRS
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Lol that was good.
Old 11-05-2014, 01:28 AM   #22
torqdork

Drives: RV-7
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post

Two eyes? Not here. Someone vision impaired may become offended.

@VacantSky, cool story. I got my Brit license on the first try, a rare feat according to the examiner. It was more than I prepped or bargained for, that's for sure. I think he liked that I showed up in a Jag instead of another Yank in a Buick.

Oh, never been pulled over in the FR-S (knocking on wood), I roll with a V1 and live in a national forest area the size of Rhode Island patrolled by one cop who only becomes ambitious around month end.
torqdork is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to torqdork For This Useful Post:
VacantSky (11-05-2014)
Old 11-05-2014, 01:35 AM   #23
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,469 Times in 18,894 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by torqdork View Post
Two eyes? Not here. Someone vision impaired may become offended.
Haha... As soon as I posted I realized my <ahem> mistake.
Old 11-05-2014, 04:32 AM   #24
Vracer111

Drives: '13 Nissan Frontier (4.0L 6spd 2WD)
Thanked 1,245 Times in 669 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Garage
No interesting 86 stories...but i do have one about doing 71mph in 30mph zone of a somewhat curvy isolated boulevard in my brother's stripped out car (only had seats and dashboard/gauge pod) with no muffler and a downturn exhaust, worn down DOT-R rubber, and way overdue inspection sticker right in front of a cop on a nice drive into work. Thought that white surburban coming to a stop behind me had some funky headlight issue when stopping for the stop sign and looking in the rear view mirror...and then it hit me...OH crap!

First words out of the officers mouth were: "Are you looking to go to jail today?" followed by "Any particular reason you need to be in such a hurry?" Ended up just getting a strong verbal warning to slow down and let on my way...

That's the problem with driving a nice lightweight car you've modded for track/autocross that just wants to go and is bored by most roads.... you just go fast in certain areas when the mood hits and you feel confident. The car had 130hp/121lbft torque but the 8lb racing flywheel and 2300lb weight will full tank really made it take off in 1st and 2nd along with having much more throttle response than the FRS due to mechanical cable linkage and a Honda B18A motor...
Old 11-05-2014, 04:53 AM   #25
edeekeos

Drives: 2014 Pearl BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I got clocked at ~130mph. Ticket was for 102 in a 60. He let me( and the fox body I was racing) go with just speed violations. And written warnings for "speed contest." No jail time, no court, $152 ticket and that's it. Luckly as hell! And yes I learned my lesson..

| OFT & Stg2 e85 Tune | Perrin Intake Tube & High Flow Filter | Perrin Lightweight Crank Pully |
| Tomei UEL Header/Overpipe | HFC/Perrin Catback | Tom's Tails | Enkei RPF1's | RS*R SuperDowns |
edeekeos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 08:25 AM   #26
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Lol, yeah diving test in England is no joke. Just before I got my license 10 years ago the government was about to pass a bill stating that driving economically was going to be included in the test (99% of the population learn on a manual, if you learn on an auto that is all you are allowed to drive, it's printed on the license!) so shift points and revs were to be monitored by the instructor. That was 10 years ago, I wouldn't even want to imagine it now!
I drove with no license from age 14 to 17 (it was the early 70s and a pain for the cops to even determine who you were much less if you had a valid license) and then on a military license from 17 to 18.
When I was finally back in Ontario long enough to warrant a provincial license I went in wrote the exam and got my appointment for my driving test.
Showed up for the test in a beat up looking but mechanical wild 70 Coronet R/T.
Instructor comes out looks at the car and gets a really pissed look on their face.
They climb in and start in on me on how it is not and appropriate car, what do I think I am doing, etc..
then they notice the Supply and Transport Company base pass sticker on my windshield and things changed dramatically.
Turns out he were an Army driver back in the Korean war.
We sit and shoot the shit for about a 1/2 hour about the changes since he had been in and got a good laugh out of the fact I was still driving the same trucks he had 20 years earlier.
He then says we better do the test and tells me to back out of the spot.
I backed out.
He says pull back in.
I pull back in.
He hands me the sheet says we are all done.
I got perfect!

But... more on topic! I have been pulled over 3 times in the FRS and with all of them the first words from the cop were "is this your car?". All just wanted to know more about the car.
DAEMANO (11-17-2014), Ultramaroon (11-05-2014), VacantSky (11-05-2014)
Old 11-05-2014, 09:25 AM   #27
sato

Drives: Dodge Patitas
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
About a year ago I just got back from a deployment, and I was making a road trip to the east coast to see family while on extended leave. Along the way I stop in Dallas to see a friend and we go out to a concert. On the way back to his place we stop at a gas station for him to grab a drink. Hit the interstate again, when all of a sudden.... I have to take a shit. Additional note: I'm from England originally and have a slight accent.

Get off the next exit, it's five lanes coming up to a light, a turn around lane, a turn left lane, two go straight lanes, and a turn right lane. I'm driving slow approaching the red light in the left hand go straight lane looking for a gas station. Boom I see one to my right, I also notice a cop across the road stopped at the light. I throw my right blinker on, check my blind spot and move over to the turn right lane slowly. Come to a stop, and then turn right on red - it is clear. So I've turned right, check my shoulder, throw my left blinker on and move carefully but quickly across 2 lanes. It's 1am, no one is on the road.

Once I hit the far left lane I need to swing a U turn to get to the gas station. As I go to turn said cop is up my ass lights on. I pop the U, pull into the gas station (not in a spot) kill the car and wonder what the hell I did.

Drop the window, hands on the steering wheel with license insurance and registration ready on the dash. Cop reaches the window, "is this your vehicle son?"

me: "yes sir"

Cop: "well where do you live?"

Me: "Clovis NM sir"

Cop: "Okay, so why are you in Dallas?"

I'm feeling confused, because I have the right to be wherever the hell I please. But politely respond "Well I'm in Dallas visiting my friend..."

Cuts me off: "Okay (sarcastically). Why are you out so late?"

Me: "Well sir we just got finished with a concert in Grand Prairie and are making our way home"

Cop: "Hmmmm, well let me see your particulars"

I hand him my paper work. And he studies it for a long time.

Cop: "Why do you have a Virginia license, a NM plate, and are in Dallas?"

I'm starting to get frustrated as Mr Brown down below is wanting to peak its head out. But I remain polite: "Well sir, I'm in the military. And I lived in VA prior to joining, I'm stationed in NM, and like I said I'm visiting my friend here while..."

Cut off, again. "Well it sounds to me like you're from England. What branch of the military?"

Me, clenching my ass: "US Air Force" I pull out my ID

Cop studies the ID: "Well what do you do in the Air Force?"

Me: "I'm an aircraft mechanic sir"

Cop: "What Kind of aircraft?"

Me, (are you fucking serious????) I'm getting short now: "MC-130J"

Cop: "Hmmmmmm" looks at insurance and looks at the cars VIN. "well these don't match son, I feel like some truth needs to be revealed, why wouldn't you just fly to Dallas?"

I'm starting to think that he thinks he is onto a stolen car with a fugitive or something: "I have 2 cars sir, you're probably looking at the wrong side of the paper. And the reason I didn't fly is because I'm doing a road trip back to Virginia to see family, I just got back from a deployment and am on extended leave. I wanted to have a car while I was at home."

He studies the other side, and concludes that I must be telling the truth, but doesn't want to admit he's pressing me further than he has to, and tries to get me for something else: "Well what's the glass open bottle there?" gesturing towards my center cup holder

My buddy Joey grabs it, leans over with a shit eating grin on his face: "Orange soda"

I'm shaking my head, are you fucking kidding me?

Cop:"Well alright (disappointment in his voice), do you know why I'm pulling you over?"

Me: "Not really sir, maybe because I jumped 2 lanes before the light to turn right and it looked like I was trying to avoid you?"

Cop: "Well that sure did get my attention"

I'm thinking, yeah I'm sure that and a bright red little coupe with gold wheels didn't make you profile or anything....

Cop: "Actually it's because you turned right, and then proceeded to move over to the left lanes. In the state of Texas when you turn right, you have to remain in the furthest most right lane for a period of time."

Me: "Well sir I was trying to make the gas station, I did signal and make sure it was clear before I moved over. If I had not I would have missed the U turn section, and had to drive another 3/4 mile down the road, which would seem unnecessary in the dead of the night when the road's clear."

Cop: "What do you need at the station?"

Me, restless "The bathroom"

Cop: "Oh you need to pee?"

Me: "Nope, the other one, and it's not solid."

Cop: "well let me make sure your info is good, and then we'll go from there"

I'm starting to think, why the fuck didn't we do that to begin with? 5 Minutes later he comes back and tells me I'm getting off with a warning. Damn straight I am, I think to myself. He tells us to have a safe night and walks away.

I get out of the car without parking it and run to the gas station, B line for the bathroom and almost shit myself before pulling my pants down. My insides hurt for several hours afterwards. The whole process of him pulling me over to me sitting on the seat was about 30 minutes. Every time I responded to his question politely, he took about 30 seconds to analyze what I said before continuing. By far the worst experience I've had, purely because I almost crapped myself in front of my good friend and had to deal with a cop who thought he had hit the jack pot. I understand the law he used to pull me over, but it was an obvious profiling. I see countless people perform that maneuver everyday and are never hassled.
Glad you didn't shit yourself! Funny stuff...
sato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 01:08 PM   #28
ArmanFRS

Drives: Pearl white scion frs
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
After one month of getting my frs is got pulled over for doing 120+ in a 60 zone..i was shitting myself thinking my cars ganna get impounded..i kept appologizing to the cop. He ended up giving me a speeding ticket for going 75km in a 60 zone. Lucky i got a nice cop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ArmanFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ArmanFRS For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (11-05-2014)