follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 05-03-2014, 12:08 AM   #1
Top-Secret

Drives: FRS monogram
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
iv got 12's and need ideas

so i recently decided to switch from a gen to an FRS. currently deployed with the military so its waiting at the dealership until i return. my problem is i have 2 12's in my gen that i will be stuck with and need a way to fit them into the frs.
iv been searching and only found one person that seems to have fit 2 12'' alpine type Rs which is what i have.
has anyone seen or put 12s in their frs/brz??

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13425
this is the build i found with the 2 12's
Top-Secret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 01:10 AM   #2
kberkel

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top-Secret View Post
so i recently decided to switch from a gen to an FRS. currently deployed with the military so its waiting at the dealership until i return. my problem is i have 2 12's in my gen that i will be stuck with and need a way to fit them into the frs.
iv been searching and only found one person that seems to have fit 2 12'' alpine type Rs which is what i have.
has anyone seen or put 12s in their frs/brz??

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13425
this is the build i found with the 2 12's
It's not common.. and it wouldn't be hard to fit them in the FRS, though most people are concerned about.. "Can I still use my trunk and fold down my seats?"

As far as I know there's no 12" fitted boxes for the twins.. so you're on your own to find a box that has a low height.

You could get an MDF box made cheaply (I dunno, $120?) that sits behind your seats, but you'd lose the ability to fit long things in your car by folding your seats down, and you'd lose a ton of your trunk space as well. Forget going ported.
kberkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 02:10 AM   #3
Integrity Concepts

Drives: Concepts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Fitting 12's in our 10" fitted enclosures

Quote:
are you guys going to offer this in a 12''? as im sitting with 2 brand new type R 12s and would like a box similar to this. instead of having something custom made
While we do not have plans to produce a 12" Integrity Enclosure model for the FR-S / BRZ / GT 86, due mostly to space constraints, there has been quite a few individuals that have asked this same question, and your particular 12" woofer choice got us thinking about the possibility of modifying one of our 10" enclosures to do the job.

The Alpine Type R 12" subwoofer (SWR12D2/D4) is recommended by Alpine to have a net sealed enclosure volume range of .55 cu ft - 1.0 cu ft, which is quite small as far as 12" subwoofers go. Our 10" enclosure volume of .75 cu ft falls within this range, so the question is: Can our 10" enclosures be modified to physically house it? Below we have provided a pic in which we mapped out where the Type R 12" overall diameter and mounting screw diameter would fall. With the woofer bumped out to this position on the face of the enclosure the woofer depth and magnet diameter are no longer a problem to physically fit within the enclosure.

As shown in the above pic the mounting screw holes fall directly on the ridge of the opening and this in and of itself poses the biggest problem. The area inside the opening would need to be built up flush with MDF molded in to have the proper cutout diameter and give the subwoofer a good surface to seal and mount to. Also the area outside the ridge should be backed with MDF for the best mounting screw grab regardless of the direction the screw is driven.

With this bumped ring modification to the enclosure we would gain a bit more volume within the enclosure bringing it up to around the "optimum" internal airspace of .85 cu ft recommended by Alpine for this woofer. Plus Plus! The only drawbacks to this modification would be the slight added weight, the slightest outside edge of the woofer that might not lay perfectly flat all the way around but probably appear so with the carpet filling the void, and the fact that it would obviously render the enclosure incompatible with our press fit grill (though the Alpine woofer in question has its own optional grill, so that's an easy solution).

In the end the modification would appear similar to this 10" enclosure pictured below that has been modified to house an oversized 10" subwoofer, with the only difference in appearance being the mounting rings bumped all the way up to the top ridge and a slightly larger cutout diameter.

If you or anyone else is truly interested in this modification to fit a 12" subwoofer into our 10" enclosure, please let us know and we can work out the details with you and provide a quote for performing it.
Integrity Concepts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 07:57 AM   #4
rmjjensen

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited in WRB
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
That was my build btw.

These subs are big and bulky.

Keep the spare tire or remove it? If you keep it then your options are rather slim. You have no choice but to find some pre-fab boxes that you can just throw in the trunk anyway they'll fit. Or, you'd have to go custom and do something similar to the side mount enclosures by Infinity Concepts. I'm most concerned about the depth on these particular subs more than being able to fit a 12" diameter. If you remove the spare tire then you have a lot more options - but all of those options will be fiberglass (or a lot of MDF slicing and layering - I don't know why people do this btw - I'm guessing people are intimidated by fiberglass).

Change subs? Are you married to these Type Rs? Did you know they make a shallow (thin) version of the type R that will give you a lot more flexibility - http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500SWRT...e-SWR-T12.html ? I've had the same 12s since 2006 and didn't want to spend money on new ones when they worked fine.

Your best bet is to go custom. Find a reputable aftermarket audio shop in your area and bring them your setup. Honestly they will love the challenge of getting these huge monsters to fit in the trunk with proper air space.
Old 05-04-2014, 08:55 AM   #5
Top-Secret

Garage
im not attached to these subs, aside from the fact that i only purchased them maybe 3 months before i was deployed. and like you said. spending money on new subs when they work fine just isnt all the appealing when im still dealing with issues from my gen.
as for the integrity box. i do love those boxes and having them custom fitted, if you feel is possibly will probably be what i lean towards.
but i also would like to check in with the guy who installed my current setup just to compare
however since i am still 5 months away from being home, i cant commit to anything just yet. but knowing that you guys are interested in the idea is awesome and i will most likely be in contact about it after i return home.
just curious as i cant seem to remember but what were the prices on the boxes?
Old 05-04-2014, 03:01 PM   #6
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
a single passenger side 10" is currently $340, so i would expect a price of just shy of $500 for a 12" box...

i've been very happy with my 10 so far-- plenty of bass, probably more then the trunk can handle without sound dampening....
Integrity Concepts (05-13-2014)
Old 05-05-2014, 02:36 PM   #7
Integrity Concepts

Quote:
im not attached to these subs, aside from the fact that i only purchased them maybe 3 months before i was deployed. and like you said. spending money on new subs when they work fine just isnt all the appealing when im still dealing with issues from my gen.
as for the integrity box. i do love those boxes and having them custom fitted, if you feel is possibly will probably be what i lean towards.
but i also would like to check in with the guy who installed my current setup just to compare
however since i am still 5 months away from being home, i cant commit to anything just yet. but knowing that you guys are interested in the idea is awesome and i will most likely be in contact about it after i return home.
just curious as i cant seem to remember but what were the prices on the boxes?
The current price on our 10" Passenger side enclosure is $339.95, and the Driver side 10" is still $299.95, though this is simply because we have not updated it, so they are both essentially $339.95 as soon as we update the pages.

We have estimated the time and materials needed to modify one of our 10" enclosures to be compatible with your 12" subwoofer. At this time we would ask $40.00 additional to perform this modification to each enclosure. So each enclosure would end up being only $379.95 to house your 12" sub!

Old 05-05-2014, 05:13 PM   #8
kmbkk
First 86 Driver Baby!

Drives: FR-S, Flex
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I'm installing 2 12's when I get back from my deployment. My plan is to fire them directly into the cabin through a sealed baffle (minimize back waves). They each require ~.78 cu ft sealed, so it shouldn't be a problem.
kmbkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 05:27 PM   #9
mackdaddytran

Drives: Toyota Skyline Type-R
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I have two 12" Type R's from my previous car. I tried to get the box in the trunk to see if it would fit but i couldn't get the box in. If i folded the seats down and went through the inside of the car to put the subs in I probably could have.

But at that point is way too much work.
Old 05-05-2014, 06:01 PM   #10
Top-Secret

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Integrity Concepts View Post
The current price on our 10" Passenger side enclosure is $339.95, and the Driver side 10" is still $299.95, though this is simply because we have not updated it, so they are both essentially $339.95 as soon as we update the pages.

We have estimated the time and materials needed to modify one of our 10" enclosures to be compatible with your 12" subwoofer. At this time we would ask $40.00 additional to perform this modification to each enclosure. So each enclosure would end up being only $379.95 to house your 12" sub!

380 isnt bad. is that shipping to canada tho or just US.
so a couple nights of sleeping on it and im seriously concidering just cutting back to 1 12''
no need in adding all those extra pounds in the back and the new type Rs are 1000RMS which is plenty for good sound. i dont need to do the whole pound until your ears pop with this thing
we will see how much my mind changes in the next couple of months before i get back but sub $400 i think your box is easily the best bet for me
The Following User Says Thank You to Top-Secret For This Useful Post:
Integrity Concepts (05-13-2014)
Old 05-05-2014, 10:15 PM   #11
Integrity Concepts

The price to ship one of our 10" enclosures to Canada is usually between $60-$70 after insurance, but this depends greatly on the final weight of the package for international shipping, and since we would be modifying it a bit for a 12" sub, the shipping may be slightly more.

We have now shipped enclosures internationally to Canada, Australia, Italy, UK, and this last week to Switzerland!

Tags
12s, audio, bass, speakers, subs