follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs)

Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) Wash, Wax, Details, Repairs

User Tag List

Old 02-19-2013, 04:01 PM   #1
l0aded
Addicted

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
This is why I love Opti-Coat

Not trying to add to the wall of opticoat threads but just wanted to share my happiness on the forums since it rained pretty hard today.

My opti-coated frs vs. the car next to me.
Attached Images

Phantom Supercharger | Tsudo Cat-Back Exhaust | K&N Drop-in Filter | Winjet Headlights | Opti-coated | 35/20 Tint | Radar/Dashcam Hardwired | OFT tuned | OEM Audio+ Reference 400CF | Uber Sound Deadened | LED DRL strips | JPM Coachworks Kneepads
l0aded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:03 PM   #2
husker741
Banned

Drives: 2013 Whiteout Scion FR-S 6MT
Thanked 4,183 Times in 1,415 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
That's awesome. I see you have 35/20 tint in your signature. Is that 20 all around with 35 on the windshield? How do you like that? That's the exact combo I'm wanting.
husker741 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:41 PM   #3
l0aded
Addicted

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by husker741 View Post
That's awesome. I see you have 35/20 tint in your signature. Is that 20 all around with 35 on the windshield? How do you like that? That's the exact combo I'm wanting.
My windshield isn't tinted at all. I have 35 on my side windows and 20 on by small side and back windows. Personally I think it's the best combo simply because it can give the illusion my sides aren't tinted at all to cops since my side small windows are ever so slightly darker.
Phantom Supercharger | Tsudo Cat-Back Exhaust | K&N Drop-in Filter | Winjet Headlights | Opti-coated | 35/20 Tint | Radar/Dashcam Hardwired | OFT tuned | OEM Audio+ Reference 400CF | Uber Sound Deadened | LED DRL strips | JPM Coachworks Kneepads
l0aded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:44 PM   #4
muffinman

Drives: -
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Not to add to the wax vs opticoat debate, but a $9 bottle of synthetic wax will bead water like the top picture for months. The car in the bottom pic looks like it has no wax at all.
muffinman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to muffinman For This Useful Post:
boredom.is.me (02-22-2013), russv (02-19-2013), TennisHsu (02-20-2013)
Old 02-21-2013, 09:39 AM   #5
picus

Drives: FJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by muffinman View Post
Not to add to the wax vs opticoat debate, but a $9 bottle of synthetic wax will bead water like the top picture for months. The car in the bottom pic looks like it has no wax at all.
Very true.

I wasn't really sure there was an opti coat vs wax debate? They are so different comparing them makes absolutely no sense.
picus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:41 AM   #6
Orthow
Banned

Drives: 99' SIR Kswapped Racer/Showcar
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by muffinman View Post
100% Truth! Even the shittiest off the shelf wax will produce the exact same results and often times better. As mentioned that bottom pic looks brutal like someone washed the car with dishsoap (zero wax).

Getting tired of all the OptiCoat BS on this forum. Should just have a thread for all the sheep to post their rain pics and crap.

Maybe someone should start a thread with water beading on a waxed car since the folks here seem to have never heard of wax and its water repelling properties LOL
Orthow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Orthow For This Useful Post:
b.e (02-25-2013), Calidrifter (02-22-2013), Minovsky (02-21-2013)
Old 02-21-2013, 07:45 PM   #7
JoeyV

Drives: Scion
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Opti-coat and wax are not used for their "water repelling properties." While those are very fun by-products/results, Opti-Coat and wax are there to protect the paint from environmental damages, such as UV rays, Acid rain and many others. Opti-Coat can do it's job up to 2 years and possibly more, Some waxes can last up to 5-6 months...a Crappy 9$ bottle will do 3 tops.

Just for you: Wax beading.

Old 02-21-2013, 08:23 PM   #8
Minovsky

Drives: Fr-s 2013 white out
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyV View Post
Opti-coat and wax are not used for their "water repelling properties." While those are very fun by-products/results, Opti-Coat and wax are there to protect the paint from environmental damages, such as UV rays, Acid rain and many others. Opti-Coat can do it's job up to 2 years and possibly more, Some waxes can last up to 5-6 months...a Crappy 9$ bottle will do 3 tops.

Just for you: Wax beading.

Hey just wondering what is the best temperature/ time i should wax my car? I got my frs over summer and i didnt opticoat it but i did buy some wax and a waxing machine.. i want to do it asap haha~~ sigh still early since its cold as hell out~~
Minovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:12 PM   #9
JoeyV

Drives: Scion
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I'd say optimal temperature is anywhere between 15 and 25 Celsius, but that doesn't mean that you can't do it in other temps. All products vary, so it wouldn't make sense to give you a specific temperature at which to apply your wax. The best time to wax your car is in fall and spring if you're limited in the number of times you can/want to wax the car, but the more often, the better. best would be once every 2-3 months, depending on the durability of the wax.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:03 PM   #10
muffinman

Drives: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyV View Post
Opti-coat and wax are not used for their "water repelling properties." While those are very fun by-products/results, Opti-Coat and wax are there to protect the paint from environmental damages, such as UV rays, Acid rain and many others. Opti-Coat can do it's job up to 2 years and possibly more, Some waxes can last up to 5-6 months...a Crappy 9$ bottle will do 3 tops.]
Do u work for or own that detailing business and do u apply opticoat there? U are a little bit off on ur info. Opticoat can do its job forever. It won't get washed off by rain or a thousand car washes so what (short of high speed polishing) would cause it to go away?. Also nu-finish is $8 at walmart here in the states. Technically on the bottle its called a liquid polish, but its basically a wax that'll last 6 months (says up to a year but I never let it go that long so idk).
muffinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:03 AM   #11
boredom.is.me
Custom User Title

Drives: Asphalt FR-S MT
Thanked 1,182 Times in 697 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Garage
Nothing can do its job forever. I honestly think the whole opticoat thing is overrated. I use Mothers California Gold...which is a carnauba wax.
Attached Images

Old 02-22-2013, 01:38 AM   #12
MY13FRS
***** Super Senior Member

Drives: 13 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Never had Opti-coat, Diamond Kote, etc on any of my cars. Just the occasional car wash. Cars still look good after all these years. No problems.
MY13FRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:13 AM   #13
chenshuo

Drives: WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Carnauba wax don't last long, about 3 months. In my experience, i've used a few different kinds of wax before, and i highly recommend Meguiar's NXT Generation Tech Wax 2.0. I wash my car about once a month in the summer and rinse once a week in the winter, i find the NXT Generation Tech wax 2.0 lasts about 8 months.

also, i find the NXT generation tech wax 2.0 really handy for plastic. once i accidentally damaged my dash board plastic with rubbing alcohol, then i applied some tech wax 2.0 the damage went away.
chenshuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:35 AM   #14
FRiSson

Drives: FR-S MT
Spray wax every two months x two years = Approx $32
Opti-Coat (lasts 2 years) = Approx $400

Hmm.. can't make the math work.
FRiSson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FRiSson For This Useful Post:
b.e (02-25-2013)