follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 08-26-2013, 05:48 PM   #1037
GrimmSpeed

Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 WRX
Thanked 3,550 Times in 885 Posts
Mentioned: 218 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to GrimmSpeed Send a message via MSN to GrimmSpeed
Quote:
Originally Posted by SliverBrz View Post
can you guys make a GS bracket for that hose? Id be down to buy one even though the zip tie solution works lol
Currently we do not have plans to do that, because on non-usdm cars there is a harness that runs on the back of the intake manifold, and there is a bracket bolted in that location for that harness. If you look at the back on the intake manifold you'll see several plastic empty slotted holes doing nothing, there is where that harness runs. Not having access to a non-usdm car makes it difficult to make a bracket that will play nice with the factory bracket that is in place here. There is also the worry that this threaded hole will not appear in future model years, which is ultimately why we decided on a different solution. BUT, you never know

Chase
Engineering
GrimmSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:28 PM   #1038
Chee-Hu

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
What if you don't have a torque wrench ?
If you have a Harbor Freight around your neck of the woods, I suggest looking for one of their ads that contains $9.99 for a torque wrench in either 1/4, 3/8, or 1/2". Not the best torque wrench, but it does its job. I picked up one of each this weekend as there is a 9 limit per coupon.
Chee-Hu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:42 PM   #1039
dawnst3ar

Drives: 2013 MT FR-S Asphalt
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
So, after I finished installing the bar on the FR-S, I looked at my wife and said "once again, I have more parts from GrimmSpeed than any other manufacturer".

Her response:

"Really? Huh. Well, except for Subaru, but I guess that is certainly true of Toyota!"
dawnst3ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:42 PM   #1040
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 9,346 Times in 4,127 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimmSpeed View Post
Not having access to a non-usdm car
You could borrow my car if you're willing to pay for postage.
Captain Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:07 PM   #1041
PNW FRS

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
can you guys make a GS bracket for that hose? Id be down to buy one even though the zip tie solution works lol
One of the 86-faithfull has a nice bracket that he developed...
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...=33233&page=47
(scroll down about 1/2 down the page...)

He has a prototype installed... (and I'm going install one in a few days). Looks very nice... and for those that are true DYI... he has a parts list on the post.

Man I love this forum....
Old 08-26-2013, 10:16 PM   #1042
SliverBrz

Drives: Silver 2013 BRZ limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW FRS View Post
One of the 86-faithfull has a nice bracket that he developed...
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...=33233&page=47
(scroll down about 1/2 down the page...)

He has a prototype installed... (and I'm going install one in a few days). Looks very nice... and for those that are true DYI... he has a parts list on the post.

Man I love this forum....
personally, i don't like it lol.

too much going on

i want one simple bracket instead of like nuts washers etc...
SliverBrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:37 PM   #1043
sierra

Drives: Skoda Yeti DSG diesel 4x4
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimmSpeed View Post
Currently we do not have plans to do that, because on non-usdm cars there is a harness that runs on the back of the intake manifold, and there is a bracket bolted in that location for that harness. If you look at the back on the intake manifold you'll see several plastic empty slotted holes doing nothing, there is where that harness runs. Not having access to a non-usdm car makes it difficult to make a bracket that will play nice with the factory bracket that is in place here. There is also the worry that this threaded hole will not appear in future model years, which is ultimately why we decided on a different solution. BUT, you never know

Chase
Engineering
Does this help?

Name:  Strut Brace 003 (Custom).JPG
Views: 446
Size:  130.4 KB
sierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 05:50 AM   #1044
BRZNutt

Drives: 2014 DGM Subaru Impreza 2.0i 5 Door
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
personally, i don't like it lol.

too much going on

i want one simple bracket instead of like nuts washers etc...
I do agree that there is too much going on. I would like to simplify the design with less parts, just haven't found the right size L bracket to do so. I would like to re-emphasize why I used a rubber isolator though. It allows the hose to flex naturally when the engine moves. A fixed bracket would not allow this. I would like to get my hands on that bracket for the non-USDM cars and see if I could use it instead. It looks as though one could mount the isolator to that and then clamp the hose. Anybody on the other side of the pond or down under have access to a part number? I think the bracket could be used to hold the AC line and still mount the existing wiring harness. This would be a universal solution for all 86's...
Old 08-27-2013, 09:05 AM   #1045
Optimus Prime

Drives: Whiteout 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chee-Hu View Post
If you have a Harbor Freight around your neck of the woods, I suggest looking for one of their ads that contains $9.99 for a torque wrench in either 1/4, 3/8, or 1/2". Not the best torque wrench, but it does its job. I picked up one of each this weekend as there is a 9 limit per coupon.
I did the same. I bought it specifically for this install. While HF quality tends to be lacking, for as often as I'll use this, it was already worth the $10 spent.
Optimus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Optimus Prime For This Useful Post:
Chee-Hu (08-27-2013)
Old 08-27-2013, 09:51 AM   #1046
sierra

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZNutt View Post
I do agree that there is too much going on. I would like to simplify the design with less parts, just haven't found the right size L bracket to do so. I would like to re-emphasize why I used a rubber isolator though. It allows the hose to flex naturally when the engine moves. A fixed bracket would not allow this. I would like to get my hands on that bracket for the non-USDM cars and see if I could use it instead. It looks as though one could mount the isolator to that and then clamp the hose. Anybody on the other side of the pond or down under have access to a part number? I think the bracket could be used to hold the AC line and still mount the existing wiring harness. This would be a universal solution for all 86's...
My thoughts are that the bracket we have in the pic is compatible with a bracket for RHD. The LHD bracket angles back out of the way and another small attachment can easily be fitted on top of it using the same bolt. So that bracket would suit either application and the odds of the threaded hole being deleted are low.
I feel that a restraint for the A/C hose is essential and should come with the strut brace so that it's correctly managed. Cable ties let the modification down.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:00 AM   #1047
sierra

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZNutt View Post
Check out my solution for the AC line chaffing. Some may say it's overkill, but "overkill" is my middle name...

Just noticed this shot shows off the GS MCB as well...
I really appreciate your detailed posts on the parts but for me the rubber lined clamp and an extended bracket would be enough. The bracket is loaded in extension so can be very light and still effectively restrain the hose.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:56 AM   #1048
PNW FRS

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Bar installed - 1st impressions

Install took all of about 10 minutes.

REALLY liking the difference the bar makes...

Overall, a "tighter" feel in the steering wheel... the minor "back and forth" I felt via the steering wheel -- even on pretty level roads -- is gone.

I'm feeling quite a bit of difference (IMHO) when driving over washboard roads or small bumps.

Thanks GS!
Old 08-27-2013, 02:47 PM   #1049
tripjammer

Drives: WRB BRZ limited 6MT
Garage
I agree! The install was very easy and the car drives and feels better! This was one of the best upgrades I have done to the BRZ and the red bar looks awesome!
tripjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 03:09 PM   #1050
Opposed

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Stopped by and picked mine up today at the shop. Slapped it on in the parking lot and was on my way in 10 minutes. I can feel the difference everyone is talking about. Its a more planted feel, especially going over bumps in the middle of a turn. $100 for something you can feel? No brainer in my book.
The Following User Says Thank You to Opposed For This Useful Post:
chanomatik (08-27-2013)