follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 11-29-2018, 12:09 AM   #1
Murderous Turkey

Drives: Black 2015 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Anyone had wheels shipped to a military base?

First, I apologize if this is in the wrong section, I'm new here.

Okay, so I'm looking at getting some new wheels/tires pretty soon, the thing is I live on a military base and my only address I can receive mail at is the post office on base, which is essentially a PO box. I'm wondering if anyone's had experience ordering wheels in a similar situation to the one I'm in. I'm worried the boxes will be too big and there would be issues with me sending them there. I don't really know anyone with a house I could ship it to.

Thanks
Murderous Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 12:18 AM   #2
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,400 Times in 6,129 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Is there a reason you can't ask the post office?
Spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 02:30 AM   #3
86MLR

Drives: 2002 VX Commodore SS LS1 Auto
Thanked 2,185 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
I remember walking down a fat alley in a land of sand (Kuwait) and to my surprise there was a Chevy dealer, they said they only shipped to military bases.

Sadly only US military bases, damn it.

Damn your cars are cheap
86MLR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 86MLR For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (11-29-2018)
Old 11-29-2018, 09:24 AM   #4
Murderous Turkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
Is there a reason you can't ask the post office?
They have really weird hours, they open and close while I'm on work and I don't usually get a very long lunch, just wanted to see if anyone had any experiences with it
The Following User Says Thank You to Murderous Turkey For This Useful Post:
Spuds (11-29-2018)
Old 11-29-2018, 10:03 AM   #5
Boosted

Drives: 13 brz, 06 STI
Best bet is to ship to a friends house off post or coordinate with the post office for picking it up.

-Alex
RIP 2003 WRX
Boosted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 10:40 PM   #6
Go Frogs

Drives: '19 WRX Base in Lapis Blue
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted View Post
Best bet is to ship to a friends house off post or coordinate with the post office for picking it up. -Alex
second.

First, thank you for your service. I can say that now as I'm gonna be one of the blue card holding retiree types in 33 days saying stuff like, "not in my Air Force!", or "...back when we wore BDUs..."

one - Depending on the installation, you can check, talk with the people that run your PO and let them know to expect said boxes. I'm sure they get big stuff all the time. They will probably put a note in your box like all other big boxes.

two - do you have an auto hobby shop? can you have your wheels shipped there? do you trust the guys that run the shop to accept your wheels? Do they have policies saying it's a no-no? Talk with them.

three - do you have a (Firestone) tire garage attached to the gas station, assuming you have a gas station on the installation with a service garage? do you trust the people that work in this garage to accept your wheels? you can always talk with them.

four - as suggested above, find a good co-worker (Supervisor) and ask them/him/her if they wouldn't mind accepting your wheels. Do they live on post/base, inside the fence or outside the fence? If outside the fence, will the wheels be safe there if they sat outside for several hours, you know, porch pirates. Inside the fence shouldn't be an issue...you know, integrity.

Dear SoA, what petition do I need to sign to bring the LeVorg 2.0t 6spd to North America?

Last edited by Go Frogs; 11-29-2018 at 10:45 PM. Reason: more thoughts came to my head...
Go Frogs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Go Frogs For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (11-29-2018)
Old 11-29-2018, 10:48 PM   #7
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,469 Times in 18,894 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Do you live in the barracks with car on base? I wonder if there's a safe way to have wheels shipped directly to tire shop of choice.

edit: +1 to Go Frogs ^^^
Old 11-30-2018, 04:57 AM   #8
86MLR

Drives: 2002 VX Commodore SS LS1 Auto
Thanked 2,185 Times in 1,111 Posts
I get deliveries direct to my office building in barracks.

Attention: Me, yada yada yada barraks, location.

If any of the Ruperts at work asks I just say it's stuff for a upcoming EX.

I had 4 x boxes delivered, rather large, all had Ekei branded all over them, I told my boss, who signed for them, they were new idlers for a dozer, he said "um...OK".

I love my job.
86MLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 02:24 AM   #9
Murderous Turkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Frogs View Post
second.

First, thank you for your service. I can say that now as I'm gonna be one of the blue card holding retiree types in 33 days saying stuff like, "not in my Air Force!", or "...back when we wore BDUs..."

one - Depending on the installation, you can check, talk with the people that run your PO and let them know to expect said boxes. I'm sure they get big stuff all the time. They will probably put a note in your box like all other big boxes.

two - do you have an auto hobby shop? can you have your wheels shipped there? do you trust the guys that run the shop to accept your wheels? Do they have policies saying it's a no-no? Talk with them.

three - do you have a (Firestone) tire garage attached to the gas station, assuming you have a gas station on the installation with a service garage? do you trust the people that work in this garage to accept your wheels? you can always talk with them.

four - as suggested above, find a good co-worker (Supervisor) and ask them/him/her if they wouldn't mind accepting your wheels. Do they live on post/base, inside the fence or outside the fence? If outside the fence, will the wheels be safe there if they sat outside for several hours, you know, porch pirates. Inside the fence shouldn't be an issue...you know, integrity.
Thanks for your service as well. I'm also Air Force but I've only been in for about a year. Thanks for all the suggestions, I didn't even think of the option of shipping them to the auto hobby shop, but I'm pretty certain I can do that since I overheard a guy that works at the post office talking about having stuff go there. I'm gonna look in to that probably this week. Thanks again for the advice
Old 12-03-2018, 08:50 AM   #10
Trueweltall

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murderous Turkey View Post
Thanks for your service as well. I'm also Air Force but I've only been in for about a year. Thanks for all the suggestions, I didn't even think of the option of shipping them to the auto hobby shop, but I'm pretty certain I can do that since I overheard a guy that works at the post office talking about having stuff go there. I'm gonna look in to that probably this week. Thanks again for the advice
If you work in a specific building you could always have them mailed there.

Instead of the post office you could also try your units mail room which should have it's own building number. When I was in I never had any issues getting things shipped to my barracks but then again it was an actual town house. When I lived in your average barracks building like a dorm I had to use the unit's mail room.
Trueweltall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 09:23 AM   #11
Kimsey47

Drives: 2016 STI DGM
Thanked 1,460 Times in 662 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Don't ever worry about boxes/size shipping to a US Post Office on a military base... We had to work with these things weighing crazy heavy weights all the time due to deployments and folks shipping stuff home!

Old 12-03-2018, 11:00 AM   #12
Trueweltall

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I hate those chimp boxes, they break so easily. Contico Xtreme Pro Tuffbins and JTT King Kong Mobile Jobsite Boxes are my go to. I have several filled with RFI items from deployment and all my old uniforms.
Trueweltall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 11:25 PM   #13
Go Frogs

Drives: '19 WRX Base in Lapis Blue
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trueweltall View Post
If you work in a specific building you could always have them mailed there.

Instead of the post office you could also try your units mail room which should have it's own building number.
I did not mention anything about shipping to the OP's particular building, because if it is like my particular building (a SCIF, aka a secure facility), all mail has to go through the mail room.

and...they highly discourage people from having personal mail (letters let alone boxes) sent to themselves through the government mailroom as it is not official business.

sure, there are stories about people having stuff sent to themselves all the time; however, I'm trying to keep him from receiving some sort of paperwork (counseling tool) or knock on his EPR from abusing government resources.

You want to try and draw attention to yourself for GOOD reasons, not bad ones and you don't want to get on your CC's/shops leadership radar for doing something as silly as sending yourself 4 large non-official boxes through official government mail channels.

Overseas stuff (APO/APE) is a different ballgame.

Dear SoA, what petition do I need to sign to bring the LeVorg 2.0t 6spd to North America?
Go Frogs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Go Frogs For This Useful Post:
Kimsey47 (12-18-2018), Ultramaroon (12-18-2018)
Old 12-18-2018, 01:12 PM   #14
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,092 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
The only question that needs to be answered is the size of the box.

Will USPS be able to ship it? If not, then you're better off shipping it to a friend or relative's physical address.

https://pe.usps.com/businessmail101?ViewName=MinMax
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
military, po box, shippinng, tires, wheels