follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 01-07-2012, 04:01 PM   #29
cc700
i ride fixed gear bikes

Drives: 2.5rs
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slide View Post
Shut the fuck up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by [M] View Post
Sorry you had a bad experience with the Impreza, I, like yourself, did a half-ass job of doing a conversion in my first car. So I could see how you could think it was bad when you had spotty gauging and a bad one near the HVAC. But after using quality LEDs from reputable distributors, I haven't had any problems that you've discussed. Regarding you comment about shielding from the elements, most of the leds I would plan to change are either in the cabin or in some enclosure. Personally, like I mentioned before, I just like them. Even as you described it as a fire-like incandescent, I prefer something crisp and clean. Currently, the cool white I have now is not so blue as you would think. It's more white than anything, and no I think it is free of any harmful chemicals.
:happy0180: good for you then. maybe LED's have gotten better since i did mine. fwiw, i switched back to red 'bulb covers' on incandescents. white i think would bother my eyes' night vision too much, but everyone reacts differently to light so if you think you can see well i'll let you decide what you prefer on the inside of your car, as long as you aren't compensating with hid conversions or using your high beams or anything else that bugs me on your forward lighting. (all of which would make it worse off than just keeping everything stock, or doing a retrofit but not having bright interior lighting)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn248 View Post
There are people that can make them evenly lit. Like you said you did a bad job and were too cheap to pay someone to do it. "It looks cool" and "It goes faster" are pretty much the two reasons people do any modifications to a car...
doing a good job with the 03 impreza cluster is hard work and you risk having to reset the needles or breaking them... it just wasn't worth it to me to waste more time on it. it's also not worth it to me to pay someone else to do it. call me cheap but i give more freely of my time and money to things far better and more important than cars to listen to this.

i was looking for discussion about what makes LEDs better in a car that isn't designed with them. evidently, no one wants to discuss that, they just want to talk up an inferior product(even the highest quality led conversion bulbs are an inferior product to using what the car was designed for) just because it looks cool. 'it goes faster' does not apply here. 'it increases road-feel' does not apply here. 'it's safer' does not apply here. 'it's more practical' does not apply here. 'it increases the car's utility' does not apply here. 'it makes the car more efficient' does not apply here.

just as long as you're willing to agree to that, i'm willing to say that i did a bad job trying to convert my car's interior illumination and that i'm too cheap to spend money on getting it redone when it's all just for looks anyway.

more to the point, if i get a BRZ/FR-S i will be keeping the bulbs stock. odds are if i wanted to resell it, a potential buyer would take my opinion on this over yours, and i'm happier not spending money trying to look cool.
cc700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 04:28 PM   #30
Longhorn248
Hook 'em

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc700 View Post

:happy0180: good for you then. maybe LED's have gotten better since i did mine. fwiw, i switched back to red 'bulb covers' on incandescents. white i think would bother my eyes' night vision too much, but everyone reacts differently to light so if you think you can see well i'll let you decide what you prefer on the inside of your car, as long as you aren't compensating with hid conversions or using your high beams or anything else that bugs me on your forward lighting. (all of which would make it worse off than just keeping everything stock, or doing a retrofit but not having bright interior lighting)

doing a good job with the 03 impreza cluster is hard work and you risk having to reset the needles or breaking them... it just wasn't worth it to me to waste more time on it. it's also not worth it to me to pay someone else to do it. call me cheap but i give more freely of my time and money to things far better and more important than cars to listen to this.

i was looking for discussion about what makes LEDs better in a car that isn't designed with them. evidently, no one wants to discuss that, they just want to talk up an inferior product(even the highest quality led conversion bulbs are an inferior product to using what the car was designed for) just because it looks cool. 'it goes faster' does not apply here. 'it increases road-feel' does not apply here. 'it's safer' does not apply here. 'it's more practical' does not apply here. 'it increases the car's utility' does not apply here. 'it makes the car more efficient' does not apply here.

just as long as you're willing to agree to that, i'm willing to say that i did a bad job trying to convert my car's interior illumination and that i'm too cheap to spend money on getting it redone when it's all just for looks anyway.

more to the point, if i get a BRZ/FR-S i will be keeping the bulbs stock. odds are if i wanted to resell it, a potential buyer would take my opinion on this over yours, and i'm happier not spending money trying to look cool.
That was my point exactly. They are just for looks and fall into the same category as any other purely aesthetic mod that someone does to a car. For best resale value a person should leave the entire vehicle stock, but the majority of the people that are crazy enough about a car to post on a forum about it probably aren't going to do that. :happy0180:
Longhorn248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 04:31 PM   #31
old greg
Rocket Surgeon

Drives: PSM GGA OMG
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
i was looking for discussion about what makes LEDs better in a car that isn't designed with them. evidently, no one wants to discuss that, they just want to talk up an inferior product(even the highest quality led conversion bulbs are an inferior product to using what the car was designed for) just because it looks cool.
That's probably because it's a purely aesthetic thing. There's no reason to do it except "it looks cool". Although, in defense of the LED, bulb covers will by necessity block a fair amount of the light coming from an incandescent bulb, causing a dimmer than stock dashboard. Properly done, LEDs can be used to change illumination color while maintaining factory illumination levels
old greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 05:20 PM   #32
00NissanNinja
The Thread Lurker

Drives: '14 BRZ, '17 GTI, MT09
^+1
and in a lot of places such as my trunk the LEDs I was able to get brighten up the area much better than stock.
00NissanNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 12:41 PM   #33
GT3076rBRZ

Drives: VW Mkv track car
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I will be doing leds for sure. License plate lights are must as well as the interior dome and map lights. If there is a trunk light that will be replaced as well as if there is a engine bay bulb.

Led fogs... That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. If your gonna upgrade those please get hid projector fogs.
GT3076rBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 12:40 PM   #34
R0ME0
ハチロク

Drives: Evo X
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Do you need built in resistors these days on LEDs so that they don't throw an error code? I thought only on Euro cars?
R0ME0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 01:48 PM   #35
Draco-REX
Corner Junkie

Drives: 13 BRZ, 11 STI, 99 RS
Thanked 1,518 Times in 701 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
I'll probably convert the exterior lights to LED like I did with my STI. But I leave the interior lights alone because I like the warmer colors for my eyes.

I may re-do the lights on the STI. There have been some advancements since and I wouldn't mind some of the brighter bulbs available today.
Draco-REX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:27 PM   #36
denkigrve
Random Internet dad

Drives: 2013 FRS and 2010 Mini Cooper
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
I just want to commend you on responding to a retarded troll post with that and not starting a battle of the internet insult wits. Well played my good sir. Well played.

:happy0180:
denkigrve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 02:30 PM   #37
jjdrivesajazz

Drives:
take a look at this thread:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4127
jjdrivesajazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 11:40 AM   #38
encity5

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
What are the sizes of the dome lights and various other interior lights of this car? (trunk)

And does anyone have any links to stores where they got their LEDs that fit in this car?
encity5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to encity5 For This Useful Post:
jjdrivesajazz (06-18-2012)
Old 06-18-2012, 08:44 PM   #39
jjdrivesajazz

Drives:
Quote:
Originally Posted by encity5 View Post
What are the sizes of the dome lights and various other interior lights of this car? (trunk)

And does anyone have any links to stores where they got their LEDs that fit in this car?
see my signature link
jjdrivesajazz is offline   Reply With Quote