follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > ASIA

User Tag List

Old 10-15-2012, 06:01 AM   #1
Alabang 86

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Manila Price & Origin GT86 vs BRZ

I'm on a waiting list with Toyota and Subaru.

both Pearl White MT, I will take which ever arrives first - or so I thought.

Toyota has the price listed on their website 1,565,000 peso ~ $38,000

Subaru just gave me an estimated price of 1,928,000 peso ~ $47,000

Of course, I asked why the big difference in price.

Yesterday the guy in the showroom said the BRZ has a bigger engine that produces 200hp and the GT86 only 150hp ?!?!?!

Then today thru SMS my sales lady said the BRZ was 100% "made in Japan" and the GT86 will be made in Thailand ?!?!?!

I know that Toyota has a huge factory in Thailand making the Innova, Fortuner, etc but I understood the FR-S, GT86 and BRZ all came off the same production line at Subaru, Japan.

Anyone else have any news on this?
Alabang 86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:53 AM   #2
Theognosis

Drives: Toyota 86, 2012 Altis, 2010 Civic
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alabang 86 View Post
I'm on a waiting list with Toyota and Subaru.
For Toyota, the "waiting list" is more of a list of prospects to contact when a unit is open for sale. That's how I ended up with mine. I gave my number to an Alabang agent (to be included in the "waiting list") and after a week, she informed me that there's an available unit in Dasmarinas. The agent in Dasma then got in touch with me and I bit all the bait--TRD and all. The rest is history.

So if you're on the list, make sure that you're ready for battle, i.e. ready to cash in and submit the requirements for in-house financing THE SAME DAY it was offered to you.

Quote:
both Pearl White MT, I will take which ever arrives first - or so I thought.

Toyota has the price listed on their website 1,565,000 peso ~ $38,000

Subaru just gave me an estimated price of 1,928,000 peso ~ $47,000

Of course, I asked why the big difference in price.

Yesterday the guy in the showroom said the BRZ has a bigger engine that produces 200hp and the GT86 only 150hp ?!?!?!

Then today thru SMS my sales lady said the BRZ was 100% "made in Japan" and the GT86 will be made in Thailand ?!?!?!

I know that Toyota has a huge factory in Thailand making the Innova, Fortuner, etc but I understood the FR-S, GT86 and BRZ all came off the same production line at Subaru, Japan.

All hogwash coming from the BRZ agent. The engines are identical. As far as my unit is concerned, it came from Fuji Heavy Industries in Japan. That's where all BRZ's, FRS's and 86's come from.

If anything, the BRZ is the one that is overpriced. You can get TRD goodies including spoiler, stabilizer bar and exhaust for that money. You have to remember that the 86 in PH is superior to the FRS in many ways and is virtually identical to the BRZ in stock form. Consider these things that our 86 has which the FRS in the US doesn't:

1. Dual climate control
2. Auto-retracting side mirrors
3. White tachometer
4. Auto-leveling LED headlights (superior to the BRZ's imo)
5. Engine start/stop button and keyless entry
6. Front fog lamps
7. Bigger stock exhaust

and of course, the TRD goodies.

Given that the BRZ in PH is very similar to the 86, it makes me want to speculate that Subaru is paying royalties to Toyota for every unit sold, hence the higher price of the BRZ.
Theognosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:32 AM   #3
RYU

Drives: really slow...
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
^^ thanks for this info. My cousin has been looking into the BRZ vs GT86 there in MM. I believe nothing is being assembled outside of Japan for this car as of yet. That may change as volume demand increases globally - I don't think it will be like, say, an Corolla/Altis would in demand.

I will argue though that instead of Subaru paying royalties causing an increase in price, I think it's a matter of supply. Only a 1/2 to 1/3 of all 86s are BRZs globally. Though, with the list of goodies the GT86 has in your market it makes a lot less sense to pay more for the BRZ. I wouldn't be surprised if the BRZ vs. GT allocations was even less in your market.

You're probably left with deciding more superficial things like how the "angel eyes" are shaped and how the Daytime Running Lights are implemented. Here in the US the FRS vs BRZ and FRS vs. GT86 is much a bigger difference. IMHO the FRS looks extremely basemodel by comparison as far as features and amenities are concerned.
RYU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:25 PM   #4
Alabang 86

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theognosis View Post
i.e. ready to cash in and submit the requirements for in-house financing THE SAME DAY it was offered to you.
Good idea! I was ready last time but didn't have any of the paperwork ready.

BRZ price because of Royalties? Maybe....but who knows as, Subaru doesn't have any specs for what they will sell for p1.9m.

thanks for the comments!
Old 10-15-2012, 06:45 PM   #5
86_ZN6

Drives: 86 ZN6
Thanked 2,072 Times in 1,222 Posts
Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alabang 86 View Post

they dont know what they are talking about. mga inutil mga sales man/lady jan!

all BRZ, GT86, 86, FR-S are all made in the Gunma factory in japan

--->

and all have the same FA20 motor.
86_ZN6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:09 PM   #6
RL_BRZ

Drives: BRZ WRB Pearl Limited Manual
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Alabang 86 >> Kamusta sa Pilipinas? If you read all the thread here... You have idea that the car have experience many problems and Subaru/Toyota trying to fix all the issues... Just relax for a while and hoping when they sell the cars in the Philippines, all problems was already resolved... My BRZ right now don't experience problem with 1600 miles in the odometer... I hoping no problem in the future...
RL_BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:29 AM   #7
Alabang 86

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RL_BRZ View Post
Alabang 86 >> Kamusta sa Pilipinas? If you read all the thread here... You have idea that the car have experience many problems and Subaru/Toyota trying to fix all the issues... Just relax for a while and hoping when they sell the cars in the Philippines, all problems was already resolved... My BRZ right now don't experience problem with 1600 miles in the odometer... I hoping no problem in the future...
Mabuti Po....but that's about the end of my non-embarrassing Tagalog.

My wife is Batangueña and I've been living here for years. Love it.

Philippines is a lot like the US, "the land of the free and home of the brave" !
Old 10-16-2012, 06:30 AM   #8
Alabang 86

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theognosis View Post
For Toyota, the "waiting list" is more of a list of prospects to contact when a unit is open for sale. That's how I ended up with mine. I gave my number to an Alabang agent (to be included in the "waiting list") and after a week, she informed me that there's an available unit in Dasmarinas. The agent in Dasma then got in touch with me and I bit all the bait--TRD and all. The rest is history.

So if you're on the list, make sure that you're ready for battle, i.e. ready to cash in and submit the requirements for in-house financing THE SAME DAY it was offered to you.

All hogwash coming from the BRZ agent. The engines are identical. As far as my unit is concerned, it came from Fuji Heavy Industries in Japan. That's where all BRZ's, FRS's and 86's come from.

If anything, the BRZ is the one that is overpriced. You can get TRD goodies including spoiler, stabilizer bar and exhaust for that money. You have to remember that the 86 in PH is superior to the FRS in many ways and is virtually identical to the BRZ in stock form. Consider these things that our 86 has which the FRS in the US doesn't:

1. Dual climate control
2. Auto-retracting side mirrors
3. White tachometer
4. Auto-leveling LED headlights (superior to the BRZ's imo)
5. Engine start/stop button and keyless entry
6. Front fog lamps
7. Bigger stock exhaust

and of course, the TRD goodies.

Given that the BRZ in PH is very similar to the 86, it makes me want to speculate that Subaru is paying royalties to Toyota for every unit sold, hence the higher price of the BRZ.
Just wondering if the GT86 has HID?

Will the BRZ come with GPS or other non-essentials to raise the price?