follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 12-27-2022, 05:14 PM   #1
themadscientist
Hotlink Terrorist

Drives: 2015 WRB BRZ Spec S
Thanked 2,624 Times in 1,196 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Drag Suspension

Good Morning!

Very soon the time will come again to stride (roll?) onto the field and engage my enemies in noble combat. I messed up last time and entered a faster class than I should have and got crushed. I did have a great race with a WRX which I lost but still enjoyed, but I watched frustratedly as the class I ran before made run after run without fear of being taken out by the Blue Meanie. The lady in the R34 that took first place to my second in that class before is still a really great driver and I look forward to tangling with her and her Skyline again in April.

Anyway, to the point, my next phase of development is grip. Even with the drag radials I spin bad out of the hole and in addition to playing with tire pressure and launch RPMs I want to improve weight transfer and get those Hoosiers smashed down on the drop. Were I rolling a domestic musclecar I could get some cheap and easily found 90/10 drag shocks to get that nose to rise quick and throw the weight back, but I don't. I don't think anybody makes cartridges for this car that will do that, but I had an idea. 2-way adustable coilovers!

Basically, get some coilovers with independent rebound and compression and dial the fronts in to rebound easy and compress slow. 2 way or 3 way coilovers would allow this, but I am discovering that that sort of adjustability is not as common as I expected nor cheap. I have found some Cusco 3-Ways and Fortune Auto 2 and 3-ways so far. Hey, turns out good suspension costs actual money! Who'da thunk it? No worries, I shop at Target and drink Starbucks coffee; I'm posh AF.

Anybody know of other makers I can check out? The requirements are:

Minimum 2-way independent adjustment of compression and rebound. Many shocks adjust C&R in tandem with one knob. This is not what I need. Some go a step further and have 2 compression adjustments for high and low speed compression. That's great; I'll take that too. These will be the same coilovers I daily drive on so having them be tunable for autocross and street driving is a plus. 3-ways are even better.

Full tap, IE threaded bodies to allow ride height to be independently adjustable from the spring seat height. I'm not a stance guy. I don't give a crap about fender gap or seek "hella flushness." I drive on real roads, with real potholes and like my suspension to actually have full travel and use more than the inside half of my tires' contact patch.

Quality. There are lot of cheap parts available out there and hey, do what you want. I would like parts that are supported by a reliable company and with something like a coilover I would feel a hell of a lot better putting my cash down knowing I can have them serviced down the road when the time comes.

Thank you all and good fortune on your builds!
The #1 most beneficial $$ you can spend on this car to go faster is seat time.
Quit trying to out think the engineers and just drive the car.
themadscientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 10:44 AM   #2
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,242 Times in 2,963 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Perhaps you'd be interested in our RCE Tarmac 2 coilovers....2 way adjustable damping, made by KW in Germany to our specs, after sale support from awesome dudes like myself.

https://www.racecompengineering.com/...13-brz-fr-s-86

Quote:
Originally Posted by themadscientist View Post
Full tap, IE threaded bodies to allow ride height to be independently adjustable from the spring seat height.
Just keep in mind that those types of coilovers generally have less total travel than a quality single piece coilover like KWs or our RCE coilovers. Some do have decent travel, but many have 40mm or so less than stock. It's often a cost-saving measure marketed as a feature.

- Andrew
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
x808drifter (12-29-2022)
Old 12-31-2022, 05:51 PM   #3
tazio

Drives: Don't yet have a Toyobaru
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
Perhaps you'd be interested in our RCE Tarmac 2 coilovers

What's their maximum ride height and are there problems running them at that height? OP wants to maximize weight transfer, but I presume your "track focused" coilovers are intended for a lower than stock ride height.
tazio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 02:49 AM   #4
themadscientist
Hotlink Terrorist

Drives: 2015 WRB BRZ Spec S
Thanked 2,624 Times in 1,196 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
My car still has the stock struts and they are pretty capable at stock height. Not at all interested in lowering the ride height.
The #1 most beneficial $$ you can spend on this car to go faster is seat time.
Quit trying to out think the engineers and just drive the car.
themadscientist is offline   Reply With Quote