follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 05-20-2014, 02:12 PM   #589
xjohnx
Grip>Slip

Drives: 13 SWP BRZ Ltd - Innovate Powered!
Thanked 1,716 Times in 1,031 Posts
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by charged86 View Post
I feel like i cant puchase this radio because i dont understand how to build and service a computer
it's no different than any other head unit install. if you can operate a phone, you can operate the head unit.
xjohnx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to xjohnx For This Useful Post:
charged86 (05-20-2014)
Old 05-20-2014, 04:19 PM   #590
holytouch

Drives: 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xjohnx View Post
it's no different than any other head unit install. if you can operate a phone, you can operate the head unit.
It would be very helpful for people like me (newbies) if some kind soul could either add a post or start a thread that listed every part needed to achieve the best results, that would be great.

I have the stock BRZ unit and hate the nav. I would love to order this item and all the parts to make it work properly, but i would want to pay someone to install it as I do not trust myself with the task.

I appreciate everyone who has contributed to this thread, as I have hope for a new stereo
holytouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 05:36 PM   #591
Unus Mundus

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
I am so tempted to replace the stock head unit with this one but the price is keeping me from pulling the trigger. I think I'll wait until either an updated model comes out or at least one other comparable competitor. Speaking of which, is there anything else out there that can compete with this in terms of features and ease of install? I really don't want to fiddle with a full-blown tablet install even though I think it looks sick as hell.
Unus Mundus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 08:08 PM   #592
Prog

Drives: 2016 Cadillac CTS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unus Mundus View Post
I am so tempted to replace the stock head unit with this one but the price is keeping me from pulling the trigger. I think I'll wait until either an updated model comes out or at least one other comparable competitor. Speaking of which, is there anything else out there that can compete with this in terms of features and ease of install? I really don't want to fiddle with a full-blown tablet install even though I think it looks sick as hell.
Tablet installs are a pain in the ass. Parrot Asteroid is a competitor. There are also some Ca-Fi knock offs.
Prog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 09:49 PM   #593
Unus Mundus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prog View Post
Tablet installs are a pain in the ass. Parrot Asteroid is a competitor. There are also some Ca-Fi knock offs.
Thanks I'll look into the Parrot units. At a glance it looks to be not as desirable as this one because it is a little older and has no physical buttons. I'm assuming they have steering wheel controls but that's obviously not useful to me unless I install them. Not too sure about the knock-offs since they're still a few hundred bucks but I'll see what they're about.
Old 05-21-2014, 01:26 AM   #594
Orisai

Drives: Hyundai ix45
Quote:
Thanks I'll look into the Parrot units. At a glance it looks to be not as desirable as this one because it is a little older and has no physical buttons. I'm assuming they have steering wheel controls but that's obviously not useful to me unless I install them. Not too sure about the knock-offs since they're still a few hundred bucks but I'll see what they're about.
Parrot Asteroid headunits are Android 2.3 (which is soon to become obsolete) running on A8 single-core processors and 512 MB DDR2 RAM. The user interface in these units are way too restrictive and you can only install Parrot-approved apps through their in-house App Store.

If you want a true Android experience like in the Ca-Fi, you have to root and hack the hell of it to get basic things such as Google Play running.

Now, as for the knockoffs, if I were you I'd stay with the Ca-Fi. It may be a bit more expensive, but their integration of non-Android hardware specific to car stereos is way better than any of the knockoffs, as it's done into the operating system itself.
Orisai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 09:40 AM   #595
Prog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orisai View Post
Parrot Asteroid headunits are Android 2.3 (which is soon to become obsolete) running on A8 single-core processors and 512 MB DDR2 RAM. The user interface in these units are way too restrictive and you can only install Parrot-approved apps through their in-house App Store.

If you want a true Android experience like in the Ca-Fi, you have to root and hack the hell of it to get basic things such as Google Play running.

Now, as for the knockoffs, if I were you I'd stay with the Ca-Fi. It may be a bit more expensive, but their integration of non-Android hardware specific to car stereos is way better than any of the knockoffs, as it's done into the operating system itself.
Agreed. As far as price goes, the Ca-Fi is very reasonable. Compared to other head units with nav, it's actually probably $100 cheaper than the cheapest one, shipping included (and it does way more than those units would do).
Old 05-21-2014, 11:03 AM   #596
Deathalo

Drives: 2013 WR Blue Limited Manual BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathalo View Post
So weird thing started happening to my unit, when I turn on the car and the unit wakes up on radio, nothing starts playing until I change the radio channel. I've tried restarting the unit completely but it keeps happening, it never used to do this until a few days ago. Also, Pandora keeps crashing even though it's not open (and no widget), has anyone who updated to the latest version experienced less app crashes, particularly pandora? I'm thinking of updating in the next day or so. I'm also still worried about the bug where the HU white lights stay on when my lights automatically shutoff at night when locking the car.
No one's responded to this, but have a new bug with Pandora specifically, it's now slightly speeding up songs and you can hear a constant click/popping sound, almost like when a CD has fucked up. I haven't tried reinstalling Pandora since I'm about to update the whole unit. To those who have updated the unit: have you noticed improved stability or any new bugs? Also, can you perform root the same way on the updated rom?
Deathalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 11:07 AM   #597
DC2R

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathalo View Post
So weird thing started happening to my unit, when I turn on the car and the unit wakes up on radio, nothing starts playing until I change the radio channel. I've tried restarting the unit completely but it keeps happening, it never used to do this until a few days ago. Also, Pandora keeps crashing even though it's not open (and no widget), has anyone who updated to the latest version experienced less app crashes, particularly pandora? I'm thinking of updating in the next day or so. I'm also still worried about the bug where the HU white lights stay on when my lights automatically shutoff at night when locking the car.
Pandora just crashes sometimes. I disabled the Bluetooth features under settings inside the app. Honestly haven't been paying attention to see if that fixes it but will monitor and report. I'm willing to bet everyone of us with Pandora issues has a phone connected to stereo causing conflicts

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
DC2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 11:28 AM   #598
Prog

I don't use Pandora, so I can't troubleshoot too deeply with you guys. How did you install the app - Play Store or sideload? Have you tried both ways? Have you uninstalled and reinstalled the app? Running from internal storage or SD card?
Old 05-21-2014, 11:40 AM   #599
Deathalo

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2R View Post
Pandora just crashes sometimes. I disabled the Bluetooth features under settings inside the app. Honestly haven't been paying attention to see if that fixes it but will monitor and report. I'm willing to bet everyone of us with Pandora issues has a phone connected to stereo causing conflicts

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prog View Post
I don't use Pandora, so I can't troubleshoot too deeply with you guys. How did you install the app - Play Store or sideload? Have you tried both ways? Have you uninstalled and reinstalled the app? Running from internal storage or SD card?
I installed from Play Store, I didn't know about any bluetooth settings inside the app, I do always have my phone connected via Bluetooth, so I'll try that. I'll also see how it works after I reinstall the app after I update the system, and I'll give side loading a shot if that doesn't help.

In an unrelated question, does anyone know a great music player app that allows you to queue up music easily similar to how spotify will queue a single song. I know Play music has a queue function, but it always pissed me off that if you play a song, it puts the entire album in the queue, and if you want to queue another song it puts it in the queue after your current album. I guess my question is, is there a good music app that will insert your queued songs as the next songs to be played (again, like spotify's desktop application). This will make listening to songs while driving much easier, I know a lot of you like Poweramp, but I've never used it, so I'm unfamiliar if it does this.
Old 05-21-2014, 12:59 PM   #600
Deathalo

Garage
So it looks like both Poweramp and PlayerPro allow me to queue the way I want, and even allow you to change it so that a single click of the song adds it to the queue, very nice. I did notice that PlayerPro adds its queued songs to "now playing" whereas poweramp separates the queue and now playing and goes back to whatever album was playing after the queue is finished, that's nice, but unlike PlayerPro, clicking on a song to start a queue does not start playing the song. I'll have to play around with both players to figure which I like more, ProPlayer's interface seems nicer, but we'll see, they both seem great.

Last edited by Deathalo; 05-21-2014 at 01:53 PM.
Old 05-21-2014, 02:28 PM   #601
Unus Mundus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orisai View Post

Thanks for that info, that's pretty much what I've been seeing about the Asteroid units being too limited with app selection. Like you said I'm not terribly keen on knock-offs since the normal units are only a bit more expensive and are supported by the company. It seems that for the moment the Dashlinq4 is somewhat unrivaled except by a tablet install which is more work and hassle.

Despite being very tempted, I'm still on the fence since it's a decent chunk of change and my headunit is still working so it would just be a luxury at this point. Maybe I'll wait for the Dashlinq5.
Old 05-21-2014, 02:34 PM   #602
Deathalo

Garage
Quote:
Thanks for that info, that's pretty much what I've been seeing about the Asteroid units being too limited with app selection. Like you said I'm not terribly keen on knock-offs since the normal units are only a bit more expensive and are supported by the company. It seems that for the moment the Dashlinq4 is somewhat unrivaled except by a tablet install which is more work and hassle.

Despite being very tempted, I'm still on the fence since it's a decent chunk of change and my headunit is still working so it would just be a luxury at this point. Maybe I'll wait for the Dashlinq5.
Just do what I did and sell your BRZ HU for $400, then it's a pretty cheap upgrade...